• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Become a Benching Team Member

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So are you thinking about benching for fun? Or you just wanted to post your overclock?

bit off both i normally bench a cpu when i first get it so that i now what it is cappable off but this is my first amd build so i will need help especially with overclocking the ramm also what settings can i change on amd chips

been a few years since i did an overclock on an i7 3770k that i got to 4.6 gig if i remember correctly that was using a custom loop still got the loop just need to get a decent am4 cpu block but befor i do that i need to get a new gpu

i was just surprised i got so hihg in the rankings on cpu-z with 2 fans on a old corsair h100 that i had lying around also i didnt have anymore fans in the case or the sides on

ps i am also a menber off these forums http://www.overclock.net/ and also https://linustechtips.com/main/?_fromLogin=1

just found my old i7 bench score https://valid.x86.fr/345epa

Last edited:
Its been four years since the last post here......Is this site struggling with active members? I hope not, this site taught me so much in the time since I joined. I studied and studied this site to build my first machine back in 2012. No I want to build my 4th machine. As you know I am collecting my parts and hope to have them all by August or so. I was just thinking I could learn a lot more if I tried to join you in benching. Anyway, I hope all is ok here at overclockers.com

Many of us do still bench hardware. Is there any specific hardware that you are looking at?

Its been four years since the last post here......Is this site struggling with active members? I hope not, this site taught me so much in the time since I joined. I studied and studied this site to build my first machine back in 2012. No I want to build my 4th machine. As you know I am collecting my parts and hope to have them all by August or so. I was just thinking I could learn a lot more if I tried to join you in benching. Anyway, I hope all is ok here at overclockers.com

Many are still benching, but not so much for rankings. The same is everywhere, and most benching teams and hardware forums are pretty dead nowadays. It's more that people see no point in competitive benchmarking anymore. It's not as much fun as it used to be, it costs significantly more, and those who are into it got older and have other priorities. The younger generation of "overclockers" don't want to learn and pick the easy way, usually quitting quickly. We had a lot of new members a while ago, who posted single results, and we haven't seen them later.
As you see, Overclockers as a forum is still pretty active; older benching team members in most cases are active too, but not much on hwbot. Hwbot lost a lot of members, even one of the founders left. Most older and counting overclockers quit because of many reasons (this could be a long separate topic), and only those fully sponsored are still pushing.
As I said, our forums are still active, and many members are happy to share their knowledge, but I guess it's better to post threads in open forums (CPUs, graphics cards, or RAM sections) as more people will join.

Sadly, (and obviously) this site is a lot slower than it was 10 years ago, but still a bunch of knowledgeable people active. Most forums are a lot lower than they were 10 years ago. People benchmark here and there, but it's way different than 10+ years ago, the whole benchmarking scene at hwbot.

Most do it for fun these days or simply for sanity checks to make sure things are performing the way they should.

That said, if you want to get into it, it was certainly fun chasing points and records or just getting every MHz out of our hardware. It's what brought a lot of us together and why we're still here (love of hardware).

There's a lot to learn and it requires experimentation and testing. Cookie cutter settings isn't this game. So if your averse to tinkering independently, it may not be for you. You'll get plenty of help from knowledgeable members if you ask (and plenty of information at our site in this section), don't get me wrong, but it is trial and error....its BSODs galore and OSs blown out of the water (if you're really pushing things... but typically this happens with subambient cooling/pushing).

Are you planning on doing this with your daily driver PC you're building?

Many of us do still bench hardware. Is there any specific hardware that you are looking at?
I was just looking to join a team and see what I can learn from you guys. I have built machines and overclocked them but went no further. Benching to me sounds like a car club that members build hot rods and have organized drag races.
It's not as much fun as it used to be, it costs significantly more,
It is my understanding that some extreme benchers can burn up their hardware. Is that the cost factor?
and many members are happy to share their knowledge,
And I thank you guys for that!
Sadly, (and obviously) this site is a lot slower than it was 10 years ago, but still a bunch of knowledgeable people active.
I noticed it was slower, but still helpful people here.
Most do it for fun these days or simply for sanity checks to make sure things are performing the way they should.
I would be that guy that does it for fun and an opportunity to gain knowledge.
There's a lot to learn and it requires experimentation and testing.
Sounds fun!
.its BSODs galore and OSs blown out of the water (if you're really pushing things... but typically this happens with subambient cooling/pushing).
I don't want to push that hard.
Are you planning on doing this with your daily driver PC you're building?
Yes sir I am. :geek:

I was just looking to join a team and see what I can learn from you guys. I have built machines and overclocked them but went no further. Benching to me sounds like a car club that members build hot rods and have organized drag races.

It is my understanding that some extreme benchers can burn up their hardware. Is that the cost factor?

And I thank you guys for that!

I noticed it was slower, but still helpful people here.

I would be that guy that does it for fun and an opportunity to gain knowledge.

Sounds fun!

I don't want to push that hard.

Yes sir I am. :geek:

You don't have to be in a team to learn... and as it was already said, the team is around nowadays, so it's even better to post and share on the "open" forums. Some helpful guys from other teams share too, and they don't have access to the benching team section.

The high cost is because the hardware is much more expensive nowadays. Top graphics cards 10+ years ago were like $300-500. Now they cost $2k+. The same with CPUs. You could beat others in specific benchmarks on unlocked 2 core pentiums, or other cheaper CPUs. Now you need top K series Intel or 16 core ryzen (assuming it's not a category where someone uses a corporate server with 128+ cores).
People kill less hardware as most stuff is locked or limited. They also don't want to risk killing hardware worth a yearly income for a couple of more points in benchmarks. Most of those LN2 results nowadays are from fully sponsored guys who don't care as they have free hardware or work for one of the manufacturers, so someone is pushing them for world records.
We also used to bench a lot of old hardware, which we could get on $1 auctions or dig up from someone's basement. The way how hwbot was managed killed the fun from old hardware benching. It was mainly pushing the most expensive gear to be higher in rankings. Also competitions changed from everything for fun to everything to bump marketing results. Behind everything was a large hardware manufacturer, and sponsored overclockers were usually winning every prize. People stopped taking part in competitions because it was usually like "buy a $500 motherboard to have a chance to win a $300 motherboard". Pure marketing everywhere.

If not the fun, then I wouldn't be here. I'm not taking part in competitive benchmarking, and I moved more to hardware reviews, but if the hardware is interesting, then I spend some more time pushing it in benchmarks. If you take a closer look at who is reviewing on more professional websites, then most of those guys were overclockers/hardware enthusiasts 10-15 years ago. A large part of the new generation are only youtubers with their unpacking videos ;)

Back