• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to change AMD Video Cards Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kapalua

Registered
I'm upgrading the low end video card in my Dell Optiplex 990, i7 2600, Vertex 3 MAX IOPS, 16 GB DDR 3 RAM, Seasonic 650 X Power Supply.

Currently have a low end AMD GPU which came with the system. Now that I've upgraded some other copmponents (particularly the power supply), the GPU upgrade is next.

Currently running on Win 7 64 Pro. Currently have the Catalyst Suite 11.9 installed for the AMD 6450 GPU. I want to upgrade to a GPU substantially better.

Can I just go to device manager and delete or uninstall the hardware (existing GPU) leaving the AMD Catalyst Suite alone. Then shut down and install the new card yet to be determined and restart the system? Is it that simple? I assume the CAtalyst Suite is apropriate for all current AMD cards?

Thanks.

kapalua

Last edited:
me I just shut down the computer and put in the new card and install drivers. You can remove the drivers if you want before hand.

What card are you installing?

Not sure which card is going in yet. Don't do gaming but do video editing and have a NEC PA 271 w 2560 by 1440.

Why uninstall the AMD drivers since the new card will probably be an AMD just to keep it simple and existing GPU uses same Catalyst Suite.

You might be able to leave drivers installed.

Ideally to do a clean install, you'd want to uninstall the drivers via control panel, then run driver sweeper with ATI settings. Shut down, install the new card, then install the new drivers.

Driver sweeper not necessary.

Here's what you do:

1) Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall ALL AMD Components/Programs

2) Turn off computer

3) Replace card

4) Turn on computer and install drivers.

Imho, if it's the same brand of card, just install the card. But if you have a tweaker like Afterburner, Rivatuner, etc. I'd remove those and re-install after the drivers find the card and activate...
You can do the extra's if you have an issue. But I've not had any in the past installs.

For that resolution, look for something with 2gb of memory.

Some 6870's came with 2gb I believe, but more than likely you will need a 6950.

Since you do video editing, does the application you use support hardware acceleration? Particularly CUDA? If so, I would get an Nvidia card instead of ATI...

Since you do video editing, does the application you use support hardware acceleration? Particularly CUDA? If so, I would get an Nvidia card instead of ATI...

Good call! Never thought to mention that (I am a video editing n00b).

You'd want to get a workstation card which are very expensive for very little compared to gaming graphics but they do accelerate things like video editing.

Unless he uses professional grade things, like CAD and such where the support and precision of those cards are needed...did I miss that? A regular card will accelerate supported apps just fine.

Back