• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How to easily remove Right Click > New items in Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I've used TweakUI since Windows 9x to easily remove Right Click New items, for example, all MS Office entries pictured below.

RightClickNew.png

TweakUI 64-Bit does not work on Windows 8 and so-called Tweak software like Ultimate Windows Tweaker lack this feature. Programs such as ShellMenuView do not clearly display Right Click New items so you can easily disable them. They display general right click items - not Right Click > New items.

I have spent the entire morning and found only 1 (one) program that clearly displays Right Click New Items to be disabled but it is $30 (Windows 8 Manager) and I have no need for its other features, just to quickly and easily remove Right Click > New items so $30 is steep for that.

Does anyone know of any alternatives for Windows 8?

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_new.html

Last edited:
This is the last step to complete my Windows 8 installation so it's fairly important to me. For now, I would just like to remove the Microsoft Office entries. Would it not be a lengthy and cumbersome process to find all entries pictured in post#1? How would I even know all the file types?

Windows 8 Manager software http://www.yamicsoft.com/windows8manager has a window that clearly lists only Right Click > New items, and they can be quickly & easily removed, but my trial copy has expired. Is there no other program out there (even trial) that can also do it?

Not really cumbersome, since you only have half a dozen or so context menu items to remove. For example Word extensions are *.docx, *.docm, etc. Access extensions are *.ACCxx, Powerpoint are *.pptx, *.pptm, etc., XL are *.xlsx, *.xlsm, etc. All that software does is remove the ShellNew sub-key from said extensions, and not worth the $30.00 price IMO.

Thank you. There were eight, inside the subkeys of:
.docx .xlsx .pptx .accdb
.pub
.doc .xls .ppt

I still need something that lists them so you can UNCHECK or remove them, I used to use this all the time, I cannot believe there's nothing out there for Windows 8 except for that one program. I just wrote to nirsoft.net, can't really think of anyone else to ask to make one, but I would contact others if I knew who.

As we discussed in another thread, WinPatrol should intercept future Right Click > New intruders. I had to let MS Office have free reign when repeatedly repairing MS Office installs because I was experimenting on how to successfully install MS Office 2013 while keeping MS Office 2003 installed, and then keep MS Office 2003 as default for .doc and .xls standard files *only* but let MS Office 2013 handle, by default, .docx, .xlsx and everything else.

I believe I managed to do this. Microsoft officially says this cannot be done but I have yet to discover a reason why. [So, off-topic, here's how I did it: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725542]

Back