• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to, fine, granular mouse movement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
what does it take to get a mouse to move very fluidly, even from a stop?
my desktop is a fine ebony, lacquer, hand rubbed finish, that would make Steinway smile and I know this is an issue, but I don't want to go to a mouse pad because of it, I paid a handsome, kings ransom for it and don't want it muddied.
I might have to..........
what helps a mouse make tiny, fine, granular movements.

Honestly, a mousepad may help. If the desk is very lacquered and shiny some mice would have some trouble with precision. If you have an old mouse pad (not even a nice large gaming one) I'd try and see if it helps.

If it does, you can look into a nicer pad. And you can always just pull it out for gaming and put it away for day to day usage where ultra precision isn't needed.

how much might pattern play in it?
my staff graphic artist uses a track ball for his rig and says it's the only way to go, but I don't see me getting used to one.

I use a track ball at work to avoid carpal tunnel when using a computer for 8+ hours. But I wouldn't use it for anything gaming related that isn't a turn-based rpg (civ, etc).

Pattern may matter, but it's more likely a very shiny surface can cause issues

this is in the downstairs office, I have just started teaching myself to create content at home, thought I'd learn a little about 3D modeling and my new to me desk just arrived yesterday.
the mouse itself just slides right around, the curser is very hard to control.

ok, some reading shows i need a rougher surface, not a pattern, a little alcohol might be in order to remove a little wax.

Cd if you're not gaming on it them maybe get a track ball, otherwise just get a mouse pad as per Janus suggestion. Id bet as Janus also stated the reflective surface may be messing with the optics of the mouse. In addition to helping the mouse pick up the movement better it may also keep you from scratching up your shiny new desk?!?!

Glue up a couple of boards and stain + polyurethane them to match your desk, then tack some felt or other material of your choice down to the top? Its still a mouse pad, but better-fied (matches the desk) :D

Also, don't forget to put pads on the bottom to protect your desk

Back