• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to use BIOS? (First time Build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JSK100

Registered
Hey guys. I just built my first computer, installed Windows, and everything is working great. Now I'm wondering if what I should go into my BIOS and change some settings? I haven't touched it yet, so I'm not really sure. I'm reading some stuff about changing my memory speeds or something? Here's my setup

Videocard: VGA SAPPHIRE|100283L HD5770 1G R
PSU: ANTEC|BP550 PLUS RT
CASE: ROSEWILL|CHALLENGER RT
DVD: ROM LITE-ON|iHDS118-04 18X % - OEM
Harddrive: 750G|WD SATA2 32M WD7500AADS % - OEM
Motherboard: Asus 880G/SB850
CPU: AMD|PH II X4 945 3.0G AM3 R
MEMORY: 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK R

What should I do?

THANKS!

Last edited:
People change bios settings for one or more of the following reasons:

1. To enable or disable some feature or function

2. To make something work that isn't working or make it work better

3. To overclock the system to make it run faster than stock

Which of these do you need or want to do? You will need to be more specific if you want us to help you with something. If I were you I would start by reading the bios section of your owner's manual and get some idea of what the bios does, what it controls and what are your options.

:welcome: to OCF!

Hey guys. I just built my first computer, installed Windows, and everything is working great. Now I'm wondering if what I should go into my BIOS and change some settings? I haven't touched it yet, so I'm not really sure. I'm reading some stuff about changing my memory speeds or something? Here's my setup

Videocard: VGA SAPPHIRE|100283L HD5770 1G R
PSU: ANTEC|BP550 PLUS RT
CASE: ROSEWILL|CHALLENGER RT
DVD: ROM LITE-ON|iHDS118-04 18X % - OEM
Harddrive: 750G|WD SATA2 32M WD7500AADS % - OEM
Motherboard: Asus 880G/SB850
CPU: AMD|PH II X4 945 3.0G AM3 R
MEMORY: 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK R

What should I do?

THANKS!
You may have to change your RAM speeds manually to get it to run DDR3-1600. Are you going to keep your system at stock speeds? If you want to overclock your system there are many, many things that will need to be changed in BIOS. You should start by browsing through Dolk's Guide, which is an excellent tutorial on OC'ing a Phenom II ... :)

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

You may have to change your RAM speeds manually to get it to run DDR3-1600. Are you going to keep your system at stock speeds? If you want to overclock your system there are many, many things that will need to be changed in BIOS. You should start by browsing through Dolk's Guide, which is an excellent tutorial on OC'ing a Phenom II ... :)

Well, I don't really want to overclock RIGHT now, just because I'm brand new to the system. What I would like to do is, make sure everything is running smoothly and how to tell. And yes, I think I would also like to make my DDR3 run at 1600 because that's what it says it should do.

If you guys could tell me what to do..
Thanks,

There should be a setting in BIOS called MemLimit or something of that nature (maybe even "RAM speed" but that would be an ASUS first! :p). All you need to do is set that to 1600 - or it might read "DDR-1600" or "800 MHz".

I could be more exact but I don't see a motherboard named "880G" on the ASUS list - can you be a little more specific? ASUS has several 880G chipset boards ... :)

Back