• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Vdimm MOD P4C800 and P4P800 DELUXE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
soldered 1(+) wire to the pot, then heat shrink. mounted pot (by the - lead) to a fan plug(-). the whole thing can be easily removed that way. Hope you ordered the "pamona smd grabbers" those are the only ones to get. Connect a lead to the 2nd grabber and attach it at the reference point then connect the + of the dmm to that lead. lots easier.

GD

Grandpa Dan said:
Sorry...O.K. which parts don't you understand?

thank for your understanding. Its little diffucult for me, say to you, whats my problem, because my english...hmmmm..its bad.

I dont understant for example, what is SMD grabber.. If I will use the graber, needen´t I to solder?

Has somebody pics of the mod on P4C800-E ? That will be very useful for me.
Ok, I understand this:
middle pin of 50+ POT (solder/graber???) to ground (CHA FAN), and second pin of POT (whic has the biggest resistance) I put to leg No. 6 ? What about third pin of pot?

And Iam looking now, that you have some "different" POT as other people, it seens like as block, not as circle ...? Its some difference from this POT,?

HyperCube said:
What about third pin of pot?

And Iam looking now, that you have some "different" POT as other people, it seens like as block, not as circle ...? Its some difference from this POT,?

Do you have a Multimeter? You don't have to use all three pins from the pot. I believe that the middle pin is always ground, and the other two pins determine which direction the pot has to be turned in order to increase/reduce resistance.

You should connect a Multimeter to the pot first, and familiarize yourself with it, otherwise you won't really know if you're increasing or decreasing voltage.

yes, i have multimetr..

one question: I would to use SMD grabbers... Can I use any grabber, which I found, or must I use some specific? (which?)

I bought a 50K Ohm Linear Taper Potentiometer from Radio Shack. Did I purchase the wrong thing? Mine looks nothing like the one on the 1st page. I have 2 wires from a single strand CAT5 cable. I went ahead and soldered the cables to the POT. One is on the middle leg and the other on either side of the POT. I am testing with the red lead of the DMM on the middle leg of the POT and the black lead on the other cable. When I turn the POT to the lowest amount of resistance it is reading 1.5 on the DMM. When the POT is in the highest amount of resistance it's reading 45.3. With these readings off this much I don't feel real comfortable upping the vdimm. Please see the links below for the POT I purchased from Radio Shack. If the one I have is not correct and the one I might get is still incorrect, could someone provide the part number from Radio Shack to get. Radio Shack is pretty much the only option in my area..no Frys! :(

This is the POT I currently have:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=271-1716

This is the one I am thinking about getting from Radio Shack tomorrow:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=271-284

Ok, I bought a POT 50k, but is wrong, because it has only 1/4 of rotation..

And, only SMD grabber what i found is like this: (sorry for quality of photo, i photographed it by a mobile telephone:()

SMD.jpg

I need a grabber, with "V" on end of it, isn´ t it?

andsmith79 said:
I bought a 50K Ohm Linear Taper Potentiometer from Radio Shack. Did I purchase the wrong thing? Mine looks nothing like the one on the 1st page. I have 2 wires from a single strand CAT5 cable. I went ahead and soldered the cables to the POT. One is on the middle leg and the other on either side of the POT. I am testing with the red lead of the DMM on the middle leg of the POT and the black lead on the other cable. When I turn the POT to the lowest amount of resistance it is reading 1.5 on the DMM. When the POT is in the highest amount of resistance it's reading 45.3. With these readings off this much I don't feel real comfortable upping the vdimm. Please see the links below for the POT I purchased from Radio Shack. If the one I have is not correct and the one I might get is still incorrect, could someone provide the part number from Radio Shack to get. Radio Shack is pretty much the only option in my area..no Frys! :(

This is the POT I currently have:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=271-1716

This is the one I am thinking about getting from Radio Shack tomorrow:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=271-284

Either of those will work. That first one is a little big to mount to a fan plug for the ground is all. Even if you installed the whole thing upside down and backward, It's my understanding the most you'll give to the ram is what your 3.3v rail provides. I'm giving mine 3.2 anyway and I know several guys giving more than me.

There are about a bazillion different kinds of 50k pots. Any will work a single turn seems to be the easiest to deal with. There are a ton of photos at the extremesystems link for this mod.

whooh, I cannot find some shop with this grabber. :-( I was in four gratest shops in our Capital, but everywhere they have only this bad grabbers...

Best is a POT with max. turns? I saw with 20 turns,,,

HyperCube said:
whooh, I cannot find some shop with this grabber. :-( I was in four gratest shops in our Capital, but everywhere they have only this bad grabbers...

Best is a POT with max. turns? I saw with 20 turns,,,

This is where I got my SMD grabbers. They work great for the mod. LINK You want the 5360-2 model. It comes in several colors so go crazy man. These guys sent them right out and I had them in less than a week.

Grandpa Dan: Do you mean, that single turn is better then "multi" turn pot?

Thank for your links, but Iam not from USA/CAN etc.. Iam from Europe (czech)

Back