• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I just bought a laptop that doesnt come with a DVD/CD drive. How can I install Windows 7 on it and replace Win 8 if I dont have an optical drive?

Can I install it from my desktop vie ethernet cable or use a USB flash drive?

You can also convert the difficult to use Win8 user intterface to make Windows 8 identical in every way to Windows 7 using Classic Shell freeware...

I cant install windows 7! I keep getting errors...the last error is 0xc0000428

Ive googled it, and I cant figure out how to get Win7 on this laptop...I made a bootable USB drive...doesnt work....I've bought an external DVD drive and burned the installation file to a DVD....that wont work....I am so frustrated

What else can I do?

I think this has something to do with driver protection(or something)...like disabling UEFI....I just cant figure out how to do that in Win8

Last edited:
It is not impossible to do it, yes you have to mess with BIOS etc. But Classic Shell takes 20 seconds to install and gives you windows 7 interface on windows 8. Plus you get to keep all windows 8 extras. Consider that before wasting time and frustration to downgrade to windows 7.

It is not impossible to do it, yes you have to mess with BIOS etc. But Classic Shell takes 20 seconds to install and gives you windows 7 interface on windows 8. Plus you get to keep all windows 8 extras. Consider that before wasting time and frustration to downgrade to windows 7.
I misunderstood earlier. I though Classic Shell was a theme...and I couldnt find it anywhere. Now I realize its an executable...

This is much better than before...thanks so very much!

The only real freeware link is this:
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
People are capitalizing on Classic Shell by putting up fake links to fake Classic Shell, so beware ;)

Yeah, don't go back to Windows 7, unless you have a very specific reason, Classic Shell + Windows 8 = Windows 7 in 20 seconds.

When I bought a Windows 8 laptop, they asked me at Office Depot if I wanted them to make me backup discs since Laptops do not come with any labels for Windows keys any more or discs of any kind, I said no but made a backup of all partitions before booting into Windows for the first time. I think there were four hidden partitions. Had to disable secure boot, switch away from UEFI to make backups.

Good thing I did because somehow when trying to restore from hidden partition the process erased the entire partition table. I had to format the hard drive to GPT then reinstall all five partitions, then switch back to UEFI to be back in business. I recommend making a manual backup of any laptop you buy, for when the hard drive fails and it will some day.

Back