• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well would a painted Panaflow perform?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demonghast

I've been wanting to replace my Evercool 92mm fan on my heatsink with a Panaflow 92mm for a while now. The Evercool is just plain annoying even at 2200RPM. However I do like the semi-chrome finish on the Evercool, so I'd want to paint what ever I replace it with.

However would painting it reduce its efficiancy? Or perhaps make it louder that it normally would be? Or would a very shiny smooth coat of paint actually make it run smoother with less air resistance against the blades? One of my friends suggested covering it with tennis ball fuzz :D He says tennis ball fuzz is one of best things for cutting through air and thought it would be fun to cover his car with it. Anyways back to the question. What will give me a high air flow, low noise, but not just look like another black plastic fan?

your friend needs to take a physics class.. (thats all i'm going to say about that)
fan blades are thin and light for a reason. small, low watt fans have little torque, adding weight to the blades (expectually at the tips of the blade) will decrease the RPM greatly. This may also cuz a buzzing sound if attempted with a cheapo fan. worse comes to worse, an unevenly distributed amount of paint can cause it to vibrate, a lot, and become even more noisy.

I think he did take a physics class. Has something to do with creating a non-resistant air pocket. It's kind of interesting really.

But anyways, I guess that's why the Evercool is slow on the rpms and makes a bit of noise. The aluminum fins aren't exactly what I'd call balanced. It already shows signs of chipping though I don't know what would have caused that. Don't really want to waste the money on a panaflo just to have the same problem again because I painted it. Maybe there is something I could do like have it bronzed maybe? That way it would have a very even coating.

Korndog do you advise against painting fans or just in doing it correctly? I was thinking of painting some fans of my own. 2 Sunon's and 3 Delta's. If I do it correctly will I see any difference?

Back