• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seriously this should be stickied. OP did a lot of work putting this together and I imagine it would be of help to many new overclockers.

Morvak: What I usually do with a freshly built computer is use it for a few days or so before I OC. This kind of gets the PC warmed up so to speak. If I wouldn't waste my time with long stress tests after every small increment. If I were to slowly raise the FSB, I would run just small 15-20 minute Orthos runs, just to test for relative stability. When I have my final OC down, that is when I run 24 hours of Orthos and make sure I can run all my games and apps without problems. :)

Great guide, something to use for everyone, old and new...nice work man:beer:

Sticky !!!

You should sell your guide to CPU or Maximum PC magazine...would make a great article

graysky said:
Stress Testing

Now that you have CPU-Z and RMClock running, load up Orthos and run the Small FFTs - stress CPU test. Once it starts running, load up another instance of orthos and start it going on a Small FFTs test as well. Now bring up the task manager, go to the "processes" tab and right-click on one of the ORTHOS.exe and select CPU Affinity. You'll want to make one of the orthos loading on CPU0 and CPU1 and the other instance of ORTHOS.exe loading on CPU2 and CPU3: these are the 4 cores of your processor, and you'll want to spread the work between them.

Sometimes orthos crashes as a result of your setting the CPU affinity.

The latest version of Orthos will run on all Cores without setting affinity. At least, for Dual Cores it does. But I assume it does for Quads as well.

And IMO I recommend Orthos Blend > Small FFTs to stress both CPU and RAM.

Otherwise, great post! It helped me with my first OC attempts!

Morvak said:
The latest version of Orthos will run on all Cores without setting affinity. At least, for Dual Cores it does. But I assume it does for Quads as well.

Actually it only uses 2 of the 4 cores. You have to run 2x orthos and manually set the CPU affinity on the first to cores 0 and 1 and the second to cores 2 and 3. Version 25 of prime95 uses 4 cores automatically. As soon as Art releases the updated version of coretemp (crashes are fixed), I'll retool the guide suggesting that prime95 v25 is the preferred stress tester and coretemp is the preferred temp gauge.

Morvak said:
Otherwise, great post! It helped me with my first OC attempts!

Great to hear you found it useful!

graysky said:
Actually it only uses 2 of the 4 cores. You have to run 2x orthos and manually set the CPU affinity on the first to cores 0 and 1 and the second to cores 2 and 3.

Ahhh ok. Since the guide mentioned to set affinity to each core for Orthos, I thought it meant to do this for both Quad and Dual core.

Back