• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is great! I got a C2D rig in at work with a 680i chipset and e6600 that a customer wants oc'd... but i hadn't played with any C2D's nor any new mobo's/ this will make "work" a lot easier. Thanks!

still a noob in oc'ing but im having fun learning this and thanks to this forum it is very informative and ppl are helpful. :)

Fantastic guide. If you had written this before I bought and played with my C2D and P5B I could have saved alot of time. Worthy of a sticky IMO.

...I'm really just waiting on Art to post the new version of coretemp so I can update the guide here and else where.

Graysky just wanna say - excellent guide.
I have never built an Intel rig so the Q6600 will be my first and your guide is what I will be using to help me every step of the way in overclocking it. Beats me why this is not stickied - especially given some of the stickied relics that exist in this forum.

+1 sticky, but shouldn't the recommended motherboards list be updated to include some P35 chipset boards? they really do have an advantage over 680i boards when overclocking quads, and that's what half this guide is for :beer:

I have corrected it in the draft I'm working on now... again, I'm waiting for Art to release the new coretemp that fixes the bluescreens/reboots.

After reading the beginning of the post, I didn't feel it was sticky material because it relied too much upon pulling quotes from another single article. (wusy) However, the remainder of the post has a lot of great original content. Nice work, and I'll go ahead and sticky this.

However, I do think it would be useful to add more specific information on C2D's and C2Q's, including a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of each in the areas of observable performance in regular tasks, overclocking, cooling, noise, and power consumption.

For instance, these quad core chips are obviously good performers, and your overclock is very good. However, is the quad core worth the extra heat, noise, and power consumption if you aren't doing something that particularly requires more than two cores? After all, you've disabled Vanderpool and won't be using VMware, which I would think would be one of the greatest benefits of having 4 cores.

I suppose running more instances of f@h would be a good example of a use of additional cores, but what about applications where you aren't donating electricity to Stanford? Even in my work doing computational modeling of cancer and other biological systems, and even in my case where I'm leaning heavily towards VMware work, I'm having a difficult time actually justifying a quad-core chip at this point in time.

I think these would be interesting and useful themes to visit, particularly in a stickied thread that claims to discuss C2D's and C2Q's. Thanks, and keep up the good work! -- Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, Paul. The new version of the guide doesn't point to wusy's threads; it's also streamlined and relies on coretemp which as of today still hasn't been updated (a non-public beta is out and works great). I dunno what Art is waiting for... anyway. Thank again.

graysky said:
Thanks for the feedback, Paul. The new version of the guide doesn't point to wusy's threads; it's also streamlined and relies on coretemp which as of today still hasn't been updated (a non-public beta is out and works great). I dunno what Art is waiting for... anyway. Thank again.

Thanks, but do note that if you are pulling any quotes from that resource whatsoever, you need to attribute them. (i.e., keep the hyperlinks to the source along with a citation.)

Thanks, and I'll look forward to continued development. :) -- Paul

Okay guys, I updated the guide (now version v1.2). It has been streamlined, dead/bad links removed, etc.

Back