• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF vs AIO vs XSPC Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippogriff

Hi everyone!

I've already briefly talked about this in my build thread, but now I have to (at least partially) decide.

My goal is to OC a 4770k to 4.5-4.7 with good temperatures, not interested in anything extreme.

1)
Option one is to buy a 6-months-old (more or less) XSPC kit (EX360, D5 pump) from my uncle. I can buy it for around €120, probably even less since he's not actually interested in money (my little cousin is doing very bad in school and downgrading its gaming pc is a form of punishment).
I know that it's a good kit, but I've always used air coolers and I'm afraid of doing stupid things.

2)
Go for a high-end HSF like a Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE. I don't really like those massive coolers (aesthetically speaking), but they're easy to install and they won't leak.

3)
Go for a high-end AIO like a Kraken X60, H220 or Eisberg 240. They seem to have performance superior to high-end HSFs and they are usually backed by some leaking warranty. Obviously they are quite costly compared to HSFs, but money is not really a massive problem.

What's your advice?

If you're willing to take the plunge into custom liquid (leak tests, periodic maintenence), you'll get better temps and lower noise with the XSPC kit. Otherwise, I'd go with an H220 or X60.

i need to get a h220 kit lol my cutom one hasnt been serviced in a year now. ugh.

like knurfire said only do custom if you have time for maintenance. im gonna have to just take mine out soon and just grab an aio or another cm 212evo.

Well all things NOT being equal.

1) I'd take the XSPC EX360 kit first. I figure if it cost about as much as the H200 (~140.00)
then why not go with that? Don't think that it would be that much more difficult on the install than the H220 either.

2) Swiftech H220 - you said that you want that has a "leak warranty". It is expandable like the XSPC EX360 too. Of course it won't be quite as good in that department but for you I don't think that is that much of an issue.

3) Something like the Phanteks PH-TC14PE? Well is somewhat cheaper. Then again the it is big. Like the Ultra-120 in my sig. Sure it doesn't leak. Sure it massive - that is the reason I don't place it higher. From my own experience that fact that you can't expand it and it isn't the easiest install either.

isnt the xspc 360 on the verge of custom, so it will require maintenance, like we already said. depending on if you want to maintain it or not should be the deciding factor. and the h220 will fit inside most cases where as the 360 kit will fit in few cases. leaving it hung off the back of the case. and the tubing that comes with it isnt that great should just replace that right off the bat.

I'll go with my usual statement about the fact that i really dislike all the AIO watercooling wich are overall built cheap, mainly really weak pump. The swiftech H220 is the only AIO that i recommand buying. Only the pump on the H220 is 4 to 6 times better than the only on an H100...

If you go all costum WC, you NEED to take it has a new hobby. Watercooling is a really fun thing to do and if it's an hobby, the very very small maintenance you have to do become a party for you and your hardware. :)

Other than that, 4.4-4.6ghz is perfectly doable on a really good AIR. I owned alot of high-end air since the day i stopped WCing and i'm really pleased with all the Noctua and Phantek cooler i tryed.

Thank you all!

I guess that a H220 (or a H320, if it comes out soon) , maybe with some good fans in push/pull, is the best option and I should be able to have decent temperatures.

I like the idea of building a custom loop, but I'm aware that I won't probably have a lot of time to spend on maintenace.

You dont have to take thats much time on maintenance. A well built loop will only need maybe 1 coolant change each year if you want to play it safe... nothing more. With quality parts and the good cooling/biocides, The loop could run for years without any maintenance but it's always better to prevent fail than repairing fail !

Thank you all!

I guess that a H220 (or a H320, if it comes out soon) , maybe with some good fans in push/pull, is the best option and I should be able to have decent temperatures.

I like the idea of building a custom loop, but I'm aware that I won't probably have a lot of time to spend on maintenace.

It's not terrible. Drain and refill every 6 months, tear down + clean (along with the drain and refill) every 12 months.

Drain and refill, 3 hours. Full cleaning etc, Sat and then Sunday for fill and leak test. Makes for a nice quiet at home weekend with time to spare for dinner and a movie.

I have a EX360 and D5 pump setup is damn good, 'tis what I'm running to cool my rig, I did mine custom with a swiftech block, but maintenance is minimum if you use distilled water and a kill coil.... in 4 months of use I did not have any reason to dismantle and clean my setup.

I think that I'm not really ready for a custom loop. I mean, I don't feel confident about it and I don't want to worry about silly things.

Hence, I decided to go for a H220 (or a similar semi-custom loop). I got a poker of GT AP-15 from a friend for 10€ and I think I will be able to pull out a nice cooling system.

Thanks everyone!

Custom water loops are tons of fun. Add a rad, remove fans for silent operation. Adding surface area for cooling is just plain smart. Any size tubes, colors, heck even custom copper piping.

If you like working with your hands, get a custom loop setup.

Back