• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HUGE heater core not sure what to do with it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thebig_g3

Registered
So I got my hands on this BEAST of a heatercore (its from a military truck, a 7ton to be exact, im a Marine mechanic) Its completely new straight out of the box. A mechanic before me ordered the wrong part and when it got here and i found out we didnt need it i convinced my cpl to let it disappear so now its in my room.

anyhow im not entirely sure what to do with it. I was thinking i could mount it inside a small freezer with its own pump and about a 1 gal container and let it cool that down overnight (antifreeze in it of course) and have it hook up into a quick disconnect so i can connect it to my computer ONLY for a short amount of time to maybe push the cpu further for a benchmark.

READ THIS PART i know a mini freezer CANNOT cool down a pc 24/7 i am fully aware of this i am suggesting this only for short runs for benchmarking. (there now that i said that people will probably STILL point out that a mini freezer cant handle the load over long times)

other than that i dont have any ideas of what i could do with this ginormous core.

some specs on the core

aluminium fins on copper piping
1/2 inch inlet and outlet
4 core radiator
the inlet splits into 4 different paths which converge on the outlet side
the 4 different paths are 1/4 inch piping
the dimensions of the fin area is roughly 9x9x2.5

Photo_00003.jpg

Photo_00004.jpg

Photo_00005.jpg

Photo_00006.jpg

i also got this badboy it comes out of the same truck this one is used though so a little dirty but i can fix that, i about 90% sure that it works (the truck it came out of didnt run at the time i replaced this but knowing how the previous mechanic was i pretty sure he troubleshot it wrong like the heater core too) its rated for a 24v system but ive tested them on a single 12v batt they just dont go as fast but they do push a LOT of air

Photo_00008.jpg

Photo_00007.jpg

now i dont necessarily NEED to find a use for these but can any of you say that given the same chance you wouldnt have snatched these up yourself?

I'd use it for straight watercooling, personally.

The fridge idea would work fine, but it's easier to just use a bucket for a res and toss a bunch of ice in. Or to toss the radiator in a bucket of ice+water.

bob while i like the idea of a bucket full of ice water and salt (for those who dont know their chemistry a ton of salt in with ice and water will drop the water temp below freezing WITHOUT letting it freeze) and then tossing in the rad, i live in a barracks room so anything i do has to be nice and clean and able to pass a weekly inspection.

however with the "just use it for your loop" idea with a rad this big do you think id even need fans on it?

Rad in a bucket would be the best bet to play. Maybe you can get dry ice cheap in your area. You could go through a lotta ice, and stirring it is needed to get the cold stuff over the coils.

Heck, looks like fun!

The issues I see are these.

1. Really restrictive, probably serial flow, no parellel channels, so depends on your setup for flow rates.

2. You go sub ambient you gotta insulate the mobo, fill the CPU socket full of vasoline, buy all the stuff discussed in the sub ambient section. You get condensation, and your not prepared... Ack.

Positive stuff.

1. I'm retired AF, thank you for keeping our country what it is. A fully volunteer military that is so more capable than any others. Thank you for your sacrifice. My sone is Navy, sub duty in Hawaii, hie wife takes great care of him. I'm glad, He's not getting shot at and not too many subs sink.........

2. That fan could, with a bit of sheet metal, duct tape, and beer could be made into a monstrous raddage setup. Could be loud, could be fun.

Anyhoo, play, experiment. Read up here in subambient and get cautious to do it right. Sub ambient is not for a 'only one PC', used for gaming. Smoke coomes out, not more gaming, sad face.

There's a decent chance it wouldn't need much airflow, if any, if you aren't extreme OCing.

Lastly, talk to the CO, dorm GOD. Let them know your playing with stuff and it might look odd. Bed be made, sink is spotless, all that ol' crap is perfect, better than perfect. Better saying this is what to expect than, OMG, the guy has a still in his room!

conumdrum the 1.2 inch inlet pipe actually splits into 4 1/4 parallel pipes so im pretty confident it will have a good flow rate

am aware of the sub ambient thing but luckily im not in okinawa anymore, shipped back to super dry california, but yes ive read up on insulating mobo's and think it will be worth it for the expierence and clocks

also your welcome, although ive never deployed and have just stayed on base working on trucks

I did try to salvage the blower ducting from the heatercore housing but it was spotwelded in about 30 places (retarded amount of overkill) to the housing and i couldnt seperate it without bending the **** out of it BUT i did take measurements and plan on making a new one. as for the noise its fairly quiet...when compared to a 729 cubic inch Caterpillar turbodiesel 6-cylinder pushing 425 hp and 1,550 ft/lb of torque....

bob i would like to get into some decent clocks but could always make a setup where i could toss it in a bucket for those big pushes and maybe even be completely silent for normal gaming and use guess ill just have to experiment

edit: conumdrum the guy who inspects the dorm flips **** on me for having my wallet in my front breast pocket cause i have a problem with it falling out of my pants pocket whenever i crawl under trucks, he says its better to look good then be safe, so i dont think he will let me get away with much

No matter if you deployed or not, Your part of the machine that grinds smaller places to dust and you accept your future. You can deploy, live in a tent, get detailed for convoy duty. Thank goodness it's slowing down.

And yea, play with it, just do your research. You get enuff posts you can sell it here if ya just wanna game.

Back