• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hurricane Rita Casualty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DoctaD said:
Flailboy,
Already tried the Insert Key....nothing.

ApocalypseGZ,
The problem is the same whether hooked up to the APC or just straight house current.
The problem you describe, however, sounds the same as mine. I think its probably the MOBO.

Any chance this can be RMA'd to Newegg ( I've had it a while) or am I out of luck?

Dean

Yeah. It was a long shot. Only reason I suggested it was that a week ago, we had a thunderstorm and it knocked out the power and when I tried to restart my comp...nothing. Waited a bit, flipped the power switch on my PSU, tried again. Fans spun but nothing else. Did it again holding down the Ins key and got into BIOS. It reset everything to fail safe but I was able to restore everything. No apparent damage.

Yeah-if the surge fried the MOBO, it wouldn't be covered under an RMA. You might be looking at an upgrade anyway, but if you wanna' risk 10-15 bucks you could try getting a replacement CMOS chip from ABIT. Who knows? Maybe the board is ok but the surge knocked out the chip so it's just brain dead. Another long shot IMO, but if it happened to me...for 15 bucks...I suppose I'd try it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. Never changed a CMOS chip before but I might give it a try. If nothing else, it would be a good learning experience.

I've posted a Post Hurricane - Part 2 thread, if you are interested in rendering an opinion.
Thanks,
Dean

Update

For what its worth....
I replaced the CMOS chip, but it didn't help.
Oh, well... time to look for a new motherboard. Don't know if I should buy another board for my P 2.4c / AGP or just take this opportunity to do a major upgrade. Maybe jump ship, and go to AMD for a change.

Dean

Back