• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hurry before gone opteron 144 in stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
John Crichton said:
What's the point of operating a business if you're only making $2.50 an hour? Seems like a hard thing to believe. Any geek off the street can work in a fast-food joint doing next to nothing and net more than that.

1.) It's sort of fun... it's good to have a hobby that at least makes *some* money rather than costing money
2.) It's early; on average, businesses are not profitable until thier 3rd-5th year of operation, so at least we are ahead of the game at this point.

It's very rare that you start a business and immediately make lots of money. It takes a LOT of time, a LOT of patience, and a LOT of sacrifice. Two sayings come to mind: "You have to spend money to make money" and "You get out of it what you put into it"

3 out of 5 startup businesses fail because people don't realize how much work it takes, and how hard it is to actually turn a profit... so they don't plan accordingly.

My last post wasn't to complain about it, or give a sob story or anything. I am just making the point to defend myself from such blatent and uncalled for insults and accusations.

TankGuys said:
My last post wasn't to complain about it, or give a sob story or anything. I am just making the point to defend myself from such blatent and uncalled for insults and accusations.
and i think you did a pretty damn good job in doing so. :santa:

ochungry, one thing you have to remember, the price on amd's pricing guide, while being for 1Ku, it's also OEM, and most of us are buying retail boxes, which inheretly cost more anyway ;)

benbaked said:
hmmm, flip burgers or sell computer parts? what sounds more fun? hmm, that's a toughie. :rolleyes:

Tell me this isn't your logic? More "fun" or more money? You decide. :rolleyes:

@TankGuys

If your prices are low enough and you have a particular product I'm searching for I would buy from you. I, like others, do the usual froogle searches before purchasing and I've seen your store pop up on more than one occasion.

Good luck with your venture.

if i'm like TG and i already work a FT job as he stated he does and i have a choice to supplement my income with either doing something i enjoy such as selling computer parts or something i loathe such as working fast food then i'm taking the first option. if i didn't have any source of income then of course my choice would be influenced to whatever at the moment could pay the bills.

Leave tankguy alone i think he has to make a living if he wants to jack up the price then jack it up, i will not buy from them because anytime i've checked his prices are higher than newegg or monarch besides neither of the companies have failed me. I don't really know what are the real intentions of the rumour but seems that etailers made an early xmas with it. So be it most likely people wont fall for this kind of situation in the future because AMD is a great company and will support its customer's.

ochungry said:
James, below is their own qoutation. So even @ %25 that puts opty 144 to
$138.75. why is it @ $163 then?
"There is a lot of confusion on this topic. The most important thing to note is that the prices listed on AMD's website are NOT the MSRP. The prices listed there are the prices quoted to top level, tier one distributors/purchasers who buy directly from AMD in 1,000 unit minimum quantities. They do not include any costs incurred by the various distributors, retailers, or the profit margins built in by the various levels of suppliers. For reference sake, our current wholesale costs on these are 10-25% higher than the prices listed on the AMD website."

I know, that's where I got the figures from as did you in your ealier post. (#11.) Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on the sites. Where are the Christmas specials? Nonetheless the info on Tank Guys is wrong, if they claim it cost a $145.00 now, that's $6.25 extra from the maximum claimed wholesale costs.

So as I would say to all. Don't act surprised when people question info on retail websites. Like they said "There is a lot of confusion on this topic.".....including your numbers on the site. So for reference sake the percentages on the site are inaccurate. Is this a fair statement?

How many big companies out there started off with making no profit? A lot! They were the undercutters and they got that reputation for it. They made their money in bulk. A lot of these CEOs quit their jobs to devote all their time into undercutting for small gains.

"Too often entrepreneurs are forgotten heroes - Reagan" I believe that to be true......... it's tough starting out....everyone does it different.

I see a longterm stagnant outcome for the current strategy.

Ochungry - Do you now see what I was saying? Tankguys explained himself thoroughly (which wasn't necessary) and there's no way you can call him a price gouger or a crook. If you aren't happy with the prices of opterons well that's great but you had no idea of the internal workings. There's no need to insult one of the members of this board, especially when you have no right to in the first place and are placing wild accusations.

ochungry said:
Get it straight. I was referring to retail store(s).
BTW, I thought the rules here prohibits retailer rep spamming for their website.
go have a life. :p

Oh but I just finished a semester of college, I don't have one for a month or so :p
Do you see anyone spamming a company or website? Defending one yes, but I'm not saying "GOGOGO BUY TANKGUYS!"

ochungry said:
Are tankguy, newegg, Mwave, monarch etc are taking advantage of this and ripping consumer off? you bet you.
What is the diference between gasoline price gouging and opteron price gouging? none, both sellers are crooks.
You get it straight, you called Tankguys a crook. However I do appologize as I had not seen "costs on these are 10-25% higher than the prices listed on the AMD website."

sorry ochungry, i don't see what point you are trying to make about your story with the tractor tire retailer or how it relates to an overclockable cpu. :shrug:

Jame Gumb said:
I know, that's where I got the figures from as did you in your ealier post. (#11.) Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on the sites. Where are the Christmas specials? Nonetheless the info on Tank Guys is wrong, if they claim it cost a $145.00 now, that's $6.25 extra from the maximum claimed wholesale costs.

So as I would say to all. Don't act surprised when people question info on retail websites. Like they said "There is a lot of confusion on this topic.".....including your numbers on the site. So for reference sake the percentages on the site are inaccurate. Is this a fair statement?

How many big companies out there started off with making no profit? A lot! They were the undercutters and they got that reputation for it. They made their money in bulk. A lot of these CEOs quit their jobs to devote all their time into undercutting for small gains.

"Too often entrepreneurs are forgotten heroes - Reagan" I believe that to be true......... it's tough starting out....everyone does it different.

I see a longterm stagnant outcome for the current strategy.

The "10-25% higher" statement was written before I actually bought the last batch, so yes, it is wrong. It's higher than that, we just hadn't updated the info to reflect the prices for our current batch. It certainly wasn't intended to be deceptive or anything.

Good explanations TankGuys. During the mid-80's I ran a small one-person home-office business selling computer upgrades and floppy disks. The floppy disks were purchased in bulk and repackaged into 25 disk bags. Video cards and hard drives came from larger distributers for resale and installation, but I had to compete with the CompuShopper ads. There was no web, just bulletin boards, word of mouth, and ads in local newsletters. Profit margins were very slim since product had to be moved. I did it because it helped fund several computer upgrades, there wasn't any way to make a living with it (worked fulltime supporting NASA). I think you did very well explaining the challenges involved in today's market.

- Wisdom

Thanks for the link man, hoping I won't get an out of stock email from mwave tomorrow. If not I guess I'll try the other guys mentioned.

Also this probably should have gone to cyber deals, I checked there and almost pulled the trigger on a classifieds 3000+ before I had a last minute impulse to look at the AMD cpu section.

Last edited:
ochungry said:
Reefa_Madness,
Yes I know that. Opteron 146's normal retail is ~$140 which includes all business costs.
The way I see it is this:
I buy 2000 units and I know I can sell them in less than 2 days.
Oh but look, instead of making me $60,000, I have a chance to double it to $120,000. :santa: WOW that was great I made a hefty 120K in 2 days..hmmm
that was DELICIOSA, let me do it again, while I can.
Do you see any difference between above scenario and price gouging?

Price gouging is a specific term usually reserved for those situations, such as hurricanes and other natural disasters or other significant events where the items being sold are vital to the existence of the buyers and they have no alternative but to pay whatever prices are demanded. There are laws to prevent this from taking place because these actions are considered to be predatory in nature.

I hardly see the discretionary purchase of an Opteron as falling into that catergory, however limited they might be in supply, so yes...I see a difference in your scenario. Sorry, but that's my take.

If I don't like the price...I don't buy. If you nor I don't buy...that decreases demand. However, If enough people buy...well, they have just established a new FMV and it has nothing to do with MSRP, whether you or I like it or agree. That is what has taken place with the Opteron...there is more demand than supply which makes it a sellers market. Now go out and buy some ram...it is almost being given away compared to what it was a year ago. Do you refuse to buy it cheap and insist on paying the MSRP, regardless of what the market conditions are for ram?

Probably not...you would be more than happy to buy it below MSRP because due to a lack of demand or a glut of supply, or both the new established FMV is something different than the listed price.

It doesn't make someone a crook just because they set an asking price above or below MSRP. None of us have to pay that price if we don't want to.

Reefa_Madness said:
Price gouging is a specific term usually reserved for those situations, such as hurricanes and other natural disasters or other significant events where the items being sold are vital to the existence of the buyers and they have no alternative but to pay whatever prices are demanded. There are laws to prevent this from taking place because these actions are considered to be predatory in nature.

I hardly see the discretionary purchase of an Opteron as falling into that catergory, however limited they might be in supply, so yes...I see a difference in your scenario. Sorry, but that's my take.

If I don't like the price...I don't buy. If you nor I don't buy...that decreases demand. However, If enough people buy...well, they have just established a new FMV and it has nothing to do with MSRP, whether you or I like it or agree. That is what has taken place with the Opteron...there is more demand than supply which makes it a sellers market. Now go out and buy some ram...it is almost being given away compared to what it was a year ago. Do you refuse to buy it cheap and insist on paying the MSRP, regardless of what the market conditions are for ram?

Probably not...you would be more than happy to buy it below MSRP because due to a lack of demand or a glut of supply, or both the new established FMV is something different than the listed price.

It doesn't make someone a crook just because they set an asking price above or below MSRP. None of us have to pay that price if we don't want to.

This is what I've been thinking also. If you don't like the price don't buy it. Just like he compared gasoline and Opteron's, you said price gouging occurs when "the items are vital to the existence of the buyers" which applies to gas, but not Opterons. Well stated Reefa.

I like this dic quote.

"pricing above the market when no alternative retailer is available"

Well, how much is market?

If they flooded the market.......... like the scenario was a few months back........would one be able to sell for $165-$200??????????? For a 144

Great points made by my brethren. What they don't tell you on their sites is the amount they can buy at a given time.........................I'm with you, buy a real "tray".....I've seen trays of 25 (Celerons). But "trays" nonetheless. Why buy like they are? If it's your top seller and you have it on the first page of your URL..........why not buy 1,000? You'll make the $$$$ back for sure.

edit.....
Tankguys did not create the rumor
Mooyo, can you confirm this? You never know.

Last edited:
Jame Gumb said:
Great points made by my brethren. What they don't tell you on their sites is the amount they can buy at a given time.........................I'm with you, buy a real "tray".....I've seen trays of 25 (Celerons). But "trays" nonetheless. Why buy like they are? If it's your top seller and you have it on the first page of your URL..........why not buy 1,000? You'll make the $$$$ back for sure.

edit..... Mooyo, can you confirm this? You never know.

TankGuys did not create this rumor. The Inquirer did:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28250

Last edited:
Back