• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hybrid Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gunthers

Registered
Hi,
I would like to know if i could do, or how to do hybrid crossfire.
I've got a ATI HD 4870 and i think the motherboard has a HD3000 and something
Plx answer

Yes, you can't use it. You need a motherboard with a chipset that has "G" in the name signifying IGP (integrated graphics processor), and a discrete 3400 series video card. A 4870 isn't a 3400, so it won't work. Doesn't make sense to me why they'd not support it for the whole line of video cards, as the power savings would be nice to have.

No, you can't use Hybrid CrossFire with the 4870 - at least not with the 790GX chipset.

The integrated 3300 in the GX chipsets is great for an HTPC or running older games but it's not "first rate" video by any means. If anything the 3300 would just slow things down being more costly in overhead than it would help with video given the performance level of the 4870 - well, any of the bigger 4xxx's for that matter. The 890GX chipset might allow for it but that's not yet been released ...

Back