• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Hyper 212 - will it fit my motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xOAT

I am interested in getting the Hyper 212 plus, but I have this motherboard. I have two dimms installed into the white slots. I looked at the 212 compatibility and they only mention the socket size compatibility. So does that mean it will fit any motherboard with the supported sockets? I am worried about the two metal blocks around the socket (idk what they are) that say "Extreme" and "4". Will it fit on my mobo? Thanks guys.

Those are heatsinks for the VRMs, and they shouldn't give you any issues.

On most mobos you are supposed to use the DIMM slot closest to the CPU, and then it's dual-channel brother. In this case it would be the blue slots. It should work fine either way, though.

I don't think you'll have any issues with clearance.

Thanks jason4207 for your input. I also noticed one of the newegg reviews said they had it on this mobo so I guess it will fit. It seemed like it would not fit when I measured it.
btw the manual said to install RAM on the white ones so that's what I did. ASRock is weird like that.

I don't think you will have any clearance problems with your board and a 212+. As for installing in the white slots first, that's an Intel chipset thing and not an Asrock thing. AFAIK, all their chipsets for anything that can run a Core isomethingmeaningless in it are made that way. I know that X58 is that way and I remember my Gigabyte P55 board I used to have said to populate those 2 slots first, as well as the P67 boards I have running now too.

I might be wrong on the RAM slots. I always assumed the slots closest to the CPU would have shorter interconnects and thus be the preferred option. Same kind of thinking for using the top PCIe slot for a gfx card.

I haven't tried it on my Asrock P67 boards, but I know for a fact that neither of my X58 boards will not boot with the slot closest to the socket populated without at least the second or 4th slot also being populated. And looking in the book for a Biostar TP67B+ manual, it also says that either the second or 4th slot from the socket have to be populated to boot too.

Yeah, looking at a few manuals (even my own!) it appears I'm mistaken. But I'm running in the blue slots on my main rig and it's always run fine like this. Maybe I need to try the white ones and see if I can clock higher! ;)

Back