• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hyper threading... wtf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rewind_rob

i updated to sp2 a while ago and i noticed something. My hyper threading doesnt seem to be working. i have a 3ghz C intel chip.

well my cpu use never use to top out past 50% unless i was doing two things at once. now something as simple as buring a CD can tax me out and i cant eve chat with out the computer freezing up for few seconds.

yes its marked as ON in the bios and i think its when i got sp2 but i could be wrong..

i have an asus p4c800 motherboard

please someone help me :bang head this is driving me crazy

Go into device manager and see if it has "Acpi multiprocessor PC" or equivalent, for the Computer.

If it doesn't, then that's the problem.
If it does...then...I really don't know @_@.

I experienced similar effect

I experienced the same effect, my system would really lag when I installed sp2. Believe it or not, try raising your vcore just a tad.

it doesnt even show both cpu graphs anymore. this is not the system in my sig this is a different setup.

rewind_rob said:
well my cpu use never use to top out past 50% unless i was doing two things at once. now something as simple as buring a CD can tax me out and i cant eve chat with out the computer freezing up for few seconds.

okay, turn off your computer. then turn it on and go into the bios. go to "cpu configuration" and make sure hyperthreading is "enabled" (i assume that is what you mean by "on". then let it boot into windows and open the task manager. then click the "performance" tab. There should be two little boxes, one for each "cpu".

Also most programs don't know how to take advantage of hyperthreading. programs like a cd ripper/burner don't know how to use both logical processors. Windows xp itself does, but not to many others. so it is perfectly normal you are only seeing 50% cpu usage. So anyway, I suggest the hyperthreading is not responsible for the slow downs.

have you checked for spyware recently? also, if you want to really find out if hyperthreading is responsible, go into the bios and disable it. This will let programs use all of your cpu resources.

edit: whoopsie, didn't notice the post about the cpu graphs. it shows one graph now?

Last edited:
yeah it will only show one graph now. i am sure hyper threading is on. it use to show 50% cpu use for cd buring but now it uses the whole cpu and i cant do anything else.

i donno whats going on. its really getting me ticked off

If you have a separate HDD, try a fresh winXP install on that one and see if the HTT works without and with the SP2 update. If it still doesnt, it may be a hardware incompatability somehow, or if it doesnt work at all your mobo or chip might be damaged.

Eliminate the mobo / cpu by putting a different chip in the system.

i had two different asus mobos and as soon as i installed sp2 it seemed to do this on both of them. (my gaming machine and my other box)

uggh i am going to try and get an AMD 3000+ and sell this setup so its not that big of a deal. i just wanted to fix it now that i am back on one machine. thanks to the dudes that tried to help me

I agree, try to reinstall XP with HT turned on in the bios before you go and start selling off your awfully nice system. Also my advice is apply every single patch Windows XP has including the service packs before installing any software.

You might have a proggie thats interfering with SP2 and is corrupting it. Nvidia's latest sound drivers crash my XP unless I install them in Safe Mode.

i am going to AMD for the pure gaming edge. i am not selling it due to HT not working. this is a 3GHZ C i had a 2.8E but that had to get sold due to the me needing money.

like i said i only noticed this after sp2. today i took a really close look at it. i made sure HT was on within bios. it didnt seem to go near 100% unless i was doing 2 things at once that were pretty intense. i still yet only see one graph for the CPU

I've read somewhere that P4's perform better with HT turned off, and they had a bunch of benchmarks to prove it, but I can't find the source of what I read, is this true or just a rumor now? Thanks!

vsalt2 said:
I've read somewhere that P4's perform better with HT turned off, and they had a bunch of benchmarks to prove it, but I can't find the source of what I read, is this true or just a rumor now? Thanks!

In some it will, in some it won't. 3dmark 2003 is said to perform better with HT off, i don't know of many other benches but sandra does definatly better with HT on.

My P4 at 2.9ghz actually does better under a slight backround load. Mirc downloading, Msn, and some folders open running 3Dm03 than a Athlon XP at 2.57ghz. I score like 50 more points or something. Thats without HT and running only a 245fsb.

I was shocked. Still am.

Back