• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper TX3 Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoshiMon

My Cooler Master Hyper TX3 fan had been making some noise and recently went into full on banshee mode. Needless to say that is annoying but as well often a prelude to death.

The thing is it is a 92mm fan that is riveted, yes riveted, onto its mounting flanges. So while I could drill out the rivets, maybe, if I'm super careful it seems like a lot of work when I can maybe hack up some other solutions.

Currently my solution was to use the last of my 80mm fans that I bought in bulk a long time ago and just set it on top of the cooler. It is working but not very well. (Leet cam quality pic inc.)

6de5.jpg

Now I do have one more 80mm fan left and I'm wondering if a push/pull setup would offset the fact that I seem to be getting some lost cooling.

Getting to the lost cooling. My temps are higher than I had with the single 92mm fan mounted below the unit pushing air up. My current temps are manageable but still a bit higher than I'd like even for a temp solution.

The other option is to try and see if the single 80mm fan mounted below pushing up would help as I believe some of the issue is that having it sit on the fits that want to radiate heat upwards is causing my temp increases.

One other data point, the case fan is pointed inwards blowing fresh air onto the rad.

Finally remember this is going to be a temp solution, unless it works out way better than expected, so it is designed to be hackish. The TX3 was from my old rig and was pretty cheap to boot. I will get to a long term solution once I've decided if I'm going to do any holiday sale related upgrades. Thanks!

Another data point, I use both my CPU and GPU on this AMD APU. My 5670 drives my main monitor but the GPU on the APU drives my 2nd monitor.

And here in Florida now is the perfect time to test these things. We have like almost perfect cool but not cold weather with nominal humidity. As such I can observe that when I drive my APU's GPU that there is a definite heat gain.

Clearly logic should dictate that when those transistors are fired up they should generate heat. But real data always is a good thing too.

The delta on what I've seen when my 7560D is doing more than just nominal Windows work is about 3-5°C.

Back