• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am not having too much luck with ati(tried 9800pro)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

No use keeping the suspense, I bought a 9800 pro last month real cheap so i figured ill give the upgrade to my beloved ti4200 a shot. It came vmods as well, but those didnt gain me anything so I turned the pots back to starting place. That thing could not even overclock to stock 9800xt clocks without artifacting, especially on the ram! Not only that, but it underperformed vs. others of the same clocks, I got 129 in nature vs. the 132 others got. So I was like ok, this is a bad one but I got it cheap, I got what I paid for so I resold it and bought a 9500@9700 off ebay for $91 shipped. That dude says it will outperform 9800 pros and he overclocked it to 350/350 and never even tried higher. also it came with silencer, copper ramsinks and vmods for both! Well guess what! I cant push the core past 300MHz without it stuttering and decimating my fps! I tried *everything* to no avail. my 9800 pro *never* stuttered. The best 3dmarks I could get from this 9500(before softmod) was this:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8048660

and even my ti200 at *barely* above ti500 clocks is crushing my 9500np with 256 bit ram by 400 marks!

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8038823

I am wondering whyd I buy a 9500np if its slower than even my ti200? :cry: :confused:

I know I was expecting 9700np speeds and the mod worked fine but I cant overclock the core at all! I emailed him and he offered to help me but no dice. I can only conclude that the core used to overclock but no longer wants to go much past stock. I am going to try again, but this time a *virgin* 9500 thats never been tweaked with. my 8500 I have also seems to be borked, it should not be scoring 1k below my ti200 and it should be getting more than 44fps in nature! I think my 8500 is borked too. I bought more and will try those. I bought a 9000pro but its a NON pro, fans dead and I dont think it can oc either. GRRR just my luck! at least I am at 18955 marks with mah trusty ti4200:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8027154

The ti4200 is *still* my fastest card!

man i feel sorry for ya man my 9600pro beats your score you just might be buying the cards from the wrong peeps try a store like newegg or bestbuy or places like that they might charge more then ebay but heck you know youll have a warrenty

well its not a scam, it does mod to a 9700 but I cant oc the core, just the ram. I havent even ran 3dmark on it as a 9700, wasnt happy with the core not ocing so I didnt bother. I know overclocking isnt guaranteed but at least he was right on the money with the ram but the cores bottlenecking me a bit. I just ran 3dmark with it before the softmod and didnt score too high. my ti4200 is now at 19113 but I will try another 9500 or 9700, maybe I can match or even beat my ti4200 with a good 9500/9700. also it has dx9 for my gaming needs :)

yeah that sux bro. i am an ati lover, and that is just wrong. so you got it pre-modded with all those goodies messed with it huh? sounds like someone F***ed it up! i feel sorry for ya bro. maybe thats why you got the card hella cheap huh?

I'm no expert on that, but shouldn't the mod from 9500 to 9700 give you 4 additional pixel pipelines? Maybe you should run some benchmarks, because even with the same corespeed, performance should rise quite a bit. :)
This should outperform your geforce. I hope this helps to make you finally happy with your card *crosses fingers*.
If the dude said, this card will outperform a 9800pro, I guess that's just impossible (a lie), because a 9800pro runs 387/350 (not 100% sure) at stock with 8 pipelines.

I wasnt gonna flash something I dont want to break and just resell. also it wont do xt speeds so why make it do something it cant? I am not happy with it, period. gonna check ebay for cheap 9700s unless someone here has one, heck ill make a want post too

I prefer to stay away from used cards like that. I got my 9500np from a guy who didnt vmod or take off the stock heatsink or any kinds of mods, and it works great for me. I also hate ebay with a passion, because of all the scams going on. You *probably* could have gotten a new 9800pro after all you have spent so far and it would have a much higher chance of XT speeds than a used one being resold.

Btw, im sure you have heard it before, but new Ati cards shine when you have AA/AF on. Af is virtualy free, so you might as well leave it at 8x. Benchmark it against your ti, and post results plz. :D

The 9700pro's were always similer in speed slightly faster tho to the ti series of cards, what made them fly was that R300 core had the ability to run AA and AF without much slowe downs where as a ti4200 ti4400 or ti4600 would fall flat on its face, anyway the 9700pro again were the same speed about when compard to a ti card with no AA and AF, but when AA and AF were enabled the ti's just died scoring like 10fps in some benchies if i remember, and 9700pro's were still flying. So to make it short the 9700/9500's werent a advancement in speed they were an Advancement in AA/AF.

You should try doing more research on the 3dmarks of these cards and thier capabilities before you buy them.

My 9700pro before i got my A64 would get about 19800 on 3dmark wity my 2500+ barton @ 2.35ghz. Oced to 410/360

Now with the A64 upgrade i get 21k altho i wasnt really trying for a high score whe ni ran that i just wanted to see where i stood out on my 24/7 settings. The highest score for a 9700pro is 25k thats using a 2900mhz A64. So go figure my 21k was Average or Above average.

The 9800pro are only slightly faster then the 9700pro's thats why i never upgraded to them or the 9800xt's it was a waist of money. $400 (at the time) and now $250 or so for what 1k higher in 3dmark and maybe 5fps or so diff in games.

Last edited:
How did you ge rid of the nvidia drivers, I had a mess of old ati drivers on my sytem that was really dragging down my scores, I was 13k in 3dmark01 and 4400 in 3dmark03.

heh I dont think theres much IQ to be gained with aa. af may help a bit more though. id rather just run 1600x1200 in every game smoothly with high details(minus aa/af) and also get dx9. Its 256 bit ram should pull me ahead in 1600x1200, also with my a64, the cpu wont be too bad of a bottleneck I hope for a card like a 9700p

Altho the 9700pro isnt ganna be lagging behind antime soon even for Doom3 tiss funny how only a few cards are faster then it considering how old the card is, the 9600's and 9600XT's are not faster not even when overclocked, and the new X600's are nothing compard to the older Gen 9700pro

There are people running 9700pro that are beating my 3dmark01se score. Like you are ^.

update: I won a 9500 red L pcb off ebay thats never been messed with. I will softmod it to 9700 and hopefully oc it to 9800 pro clocks. I hope the seller doesnt back out either. Hes sold a bunch of those too. I think he bought a whole bunch used from some company cheap to ebay em

Back