• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am stunned! Standard Crucial 2-2-2-5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newman_SCO

My stock speed Corsair Value Select died on me and have returned the RAM for a replacement under the lifetime warranty. They were always poor performers.

I bought some Crucial 2X512mb DDR3200 2.6v timings of 3,3,3,7(If I am correct)

At stock voltage I have the crucial at timings of 2-2-2-5 stable! (No lower settings avaliable in my BIOS)

Motherboard: DFI 865pe Infinity

I have always been anti-crucial for some reason, and I am pleasantly surprised with the speeds.

I think it is a good result. Do you think this is pretty good?

Should I get some ram sinks on them?

Last edited:
Very nice for 3.3.3.7. You should loosen them up and OC them a bit though ;)

They were very cheap and are not a pair. Their numbers are quite far apart.

Xtreme Barton: so you think I was quite lucky yeah?

ziggo0: I will have a play!

well hows about you post up the numbers on them sticks and ill get back to ya (lol)..

poeple sometimes get lucky and get really good sticks .. but i guess i would have to find further to be impressed. like how far they can clock at those speeds and timings...

and of course what they could do in a AMD setup :)D) ...

another silly question for me is if you bought 2 x 512mb why didnt you get a matching pair..

2-3-3-6 gives me 3.5Ghz out of my 2.8Ghz Northwood. System won't boot at 3.5Ghz with 2-2-2-5.

Serial Number 1: **1*7d2A

Serial Number 2: **1*7d81

I have no Amd machines unfortunatly to test. Would be interesting though.

"another silly question for me is if you bought 2 x 512mb why didnt you get a matching pair.."

After the corsair return program is poor in the UK(4-6 weeks) I wanted a company with a good return time. I also wanted them super cheap and buying them as a pair would cost much more. I didn't expect any good timings or overclocks at all..I just wanted reliability at the time.

Do the chips have little grooves in the top and bottom of each one?

it might say something like -5B C or -5B G at the end of all those numbers on the chip...

-5b g's are awesome chips. Clock high at 2.5-2-2-x with around 3.0v

NinjaZX6R said:
Micron Ram Chips

-5B C – I'll start by saying this memory should be much more popular than it is. This memory is knows to clock well with very tight timings. This memory can usually achieve about 230 MHz at cas2.5-2-2-X. The cas latency is not the lowest of the bunch, but the TRD and the TRP latencies are quite good. There have been instances where this ram has clocked higher, much higher, but it is somewhat inconsistent according to other forum members. The nice thing about this ram is the price. It can be found in many value rams with the most notable being Buffalo Technologies. This memory also responds well to voltage. At about 3 volts is where it seems to hit its sweet spot. Much higher does not yield any better results. This ram is pretty easy to idenfify as the part number will say "-5B C" directly on the chips. This ram is found in many flavors of the PC3200 including Buffalo, Crucial, OCZ and a few others.

-5B G - This is a newer revision of the -5B C ram. It is still 5ns ram, but can clock higher than its earlier brother. This is the ram commonly found in Crucial Ballistix that has earned quite a reputation for doing very high clocks with great latencies. It can be considered as somewhat of an "in-between" ram, meaning it does pretty decent timings with pretty decent frequencies. Most revision G ram does about 250-260, but can retain the timings of cas2.5-2-2-X. This is better timings than many of the Hynix offerings, but you will pay a price for it. Currently, 1gb of the Ballistix is around $250 USD. If you can find these chips on any other sort of Value ram, it is QUITE the bargain. It also seems to be less picky of a motherboard than some of its competitors. Identifying this ram is just like the rest...the part number will be -5B G on the ram chips themselves. Like I mentioned earlier, it is found in Ballistix and some, but not many Value ram offerings.

-5B D - This memory IC has replaced the -5B G and is found in Crucial ballistix and other crucial offerings. It has also gone down in price, which everyone will agree, is a good thing. This ram performs very similar to the -5B G in that it will hold very respectable timings up to around 250mhz or DDR500. Users have reported running 240mhz at cas2.5-2-2-x (CCUABIDExORxDIE). Like the G revision, it responds well to voltage and also runs cas2-2-2-x at 200mhz. This ram runs super hot, so active cooling is a must for a decent overclock. This is a pretty good choice for the middle ground between the Samsung based modules and Winbond based modules. It will also run very high frequencies when timings are relaxed to cas3-3-3-x. DDR600 is within reach at these latencies.

I have used crucial several times in the past with 5b C and 5b G chips. No matter what they were rated for I was able to run them at 2-2-2 at stock. And I was usually able to get a fair OC out of them. Crucial has always made good stuff for me.

Dude, those are definitally -5B G's. I would test the FSB ad see what you can get with those. I have two sticks of Ballistix and one is -5B G's that can be identified by the .16T on the sticker and the other is other. The .16T stick does 300Mhz @ 2.5-3-3-8 and the other stick does 285MHz @ 2.5-3-3-8.

I wouldn't be suprised if you could get those kind of numbers with those sticks.

Back