• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I bought the wrong xp :( help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simba1621

hello,
i recently attempted to order the xp home sp2 oem version and accidentally ordered the xp upgrade. I have an xp home sp2 oem dvd that i used to install xp on this computer. i was curious to know if i could use that cd, and the serial number on this xp box to install on my brothers new build. i dont really want to send this box all the way back to Carel Stream, IL. :(

even if i cant newegg has offered to rma the unopened box for an oem version of the os.

just would like to save a few bucks on shipping. any help would be greatly appreciated. and please tell how sure you are of it working/not working. if i open the box and it doesnt work i'm out 110 bucks.

thanks,
swim

hmm... so i wouldnt be able to use my xp oem full install dvd from a previous build. and this new serial key

hmm... so i wouldnt be able to use my xp oem full install dvd from a previous build. and this new serial key

no since xp pro -> xp home is not a valid upgrade path you would need a full install disk from 9x/ME/2k in order to install the xp home upgrade copy you have.

Also serial numbers are tied to build levels as well. for example an XP Pro SP1 CD-key will not work with an SP2 CD. or a retail key and an oem disc, etc etc even though it is all "xp pro"

If you happen to have a full install disc of an older version you are in luck cause you got xp for cheaper than usual, if not you must return it and by the full install version.

i assume you guys know what you're talking about. i'll try it. thanks

btw good luck with that surgery jivetrky. my dad had a similar procedure and is up and around again. i've seen the kind of pain that a spinal injury can dish out. it takes a strong person to deal with it.

Last edited:
ugh it just popped it in and it's sooooo scratched. anyway i could download 98 and put it to a cd so it would work correctly?

great! i'll try that install on an old hd. if it works. i'm on my way to xp. if not i'll return it to newegg and get the right copy lol

Yup, should work fine, as long as it's win98. Then after you have 98 installed go for the XP Upgrade ;)

I don't think you have to install 98, I think you can just put the XP CD in and then it will ask you for the win98 CD during the XP install. Been a while, but I think I remember it happening that way.

I don't think you have to install 98, I think you can just put the XP CD in and then it will ask you for the win98 CD during the XP install. Been a while, but I think I remember it happening that way.

Exactly...The scratched cd may work for that purpose also, assuming the bits Windows installer's looking for are intact.

hmm this makes me nervous for some reason. i found a 98 update for the 2000 changeover lol. doubt that would work. go figure xp wont use the mint condition 95 cd i found :(

If you don't pass along the key for 98, it's not piracy is it?

For instance, I made a clean XP Home disc for my uncle recently to replace his emachines OEM reinstall disc. It was full of crap, so when I upgraded the hard drive and reinstalled, I used the disc I made and his key. Worked fine and I'm pretty sure it's legal.

If you don't pass along the key for 98, it's not piracy is it?

For instance, I made a clean XP Home disc for my uncle recently to replace his emachines OEM reinstall disc. It was full of crap, so when I upgraded the hard drive and reinstalled, I used the disc I made and his key. Worked fine and I'm pretty sure it's legal.

Oh yes it is. Microsoft has it stated on all their software that illegal reproduction or distribution is prohibited.

Now microsoft isnt going to come busting down your door because you used your cd to help your uncle, but it is still illegal. So lets try to keep this thread on track please.

Back