• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I confirm TMPIN2 on Gigabyte Board is NB temp..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drosera01

Had searched several forums to confirm this, did not find any confirming report and seems many Gigabyte Boards have faulty sensors..... Even seen people reporting way above 100 C reading TMPIN2.

In my own case.... TMPIN2 reading on Hwmonitor usually used to be 2-3 C higher than CPU socket. Earlier this week I changed the NB heatsink and now my TMPIN2 is 5-7 C lower than Socket temp. Thats a big difference.

Wish Gigabyte uses better heatsink for their boards and especially use better paste and fasten it tight. In my board, NB heatsink was wiggling and once i pulled the screw/pins out, heatsink just fell apart ... wow........ paste was dry like rock and ............... god knows what they were using as paste... It was so hard to rub out using rubbing alcohol.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0362236
This is the one i am using right now..... push-pins that comes with heatsink is not good, but heatsink itself works great.

Old NB sink moving all over, change to aftermarket NB sink and the temps drop by about 8 degrees. You fnd that hard to believe. I find that to be freeken awesome.

Changing the NB sink dropped TMPIN2 temp and that would 99.99% have to indicate that TMPIN2 is for the NB reading. Plain logic indicates so.

I am just so... confused. What do you use to read socket temps then? TMPIN1 is MoBo temps, I think. TMPIN0 is always 8-10 degrees cooler than Core temps, so I have no idea what it is.

I am just so... confused. What do you use to read socket temps then? TMPIN1 is MoBo temps, I think. TMPIN0 is always 8-10 degrees cooler than Core temps, so I have no idea what it is.

Scrambler man what are you doing over here in this thread? We have worked on your clock over in the CPU forum section.

Honestly man when I read your question about socket temps, I mentally said to myself > "who cares about socket temps"? IF I could have it, I would only need a "real" cpu core temp and a NB temp. Those in truth are all that matter to determine if a system is running too hot and parts might fail.

There is a new post in a thread of "caddi daddi's" that speaks to the temps of the FX-series of processors. AMD customer care is being questioned by a consumer about temps. It is point blank stated that some mobo makers still give a useless socket temp that may or may not have any accuracy. So very honestly, I don't concern myself with a socket temp...that is from the old days.

Scrambler man what are you doing over here in this thread? We have worked on your clock over in the CPU forum section.

Honestly man when I read your question about socket temps, I mentally said to myself > "who cares about socket temps"? IF I could have it, I would only need a "real" cpu core temp and a NB temp. Those in truth are all that matter to determine if a system is running too hot and parts might fail.

There is a new post in a thread of "caddi daddi's" that speaks to the temps of the FX-series of processors. AMD customer care is being questioned by a consumer about temps. It is point blank stated that some mobo makers still give a useless socket temp that may or may not have any accuracy. So very honestly, I don't concern myself with a socket temp...that is from the old days.
Just saw the thread. It caught my attention. I am very happy with my overclocks. But I went from reading TMPIN2 as NB temps, to socket temps, back to NB now. Just confusing.

Just saw the thread. It caught my attention. I am very happy with my overclocks. But I went from reading TMPIN2 as NB temps, to socket temps, back to NB now. Just confusing.

Let me go and see if I an find some of your attached screen captures of HWMonitor and see what they look like. I have seen some Gigabyte boards that show only 2 TMPIN temps and not the 3 of other brand boards.

+1.

I think that it would vary what it is reading and subsequently what is what (regarding the TMPINx) by board, no?

Okay Scrambler, I went and looked at your HWMonitor captures in your CPU forum section thread. Listed below is what I would be thinking the TMPIN temps are reflecting/monitoring.

TMPIN0 = Board temp like ambient inside case or similar.

TMPIN1 = What we call North Bridge Temp.

TMPIN2 = What we call CPU Temp.

I was confused as well, Just google "what is TMPIN2" you will come up with several threads, some says NB and others say MOSFET/VRM. As my board doesnot have MOSFET heatsinks, i was afraid to read 60+ on TMPIN2.

Oneday, i opened the case and poked my fingure through the board while stressing computer..... MOSFETS were just warm (not hot at all), NB heatsink was hot but not like gonna burn. then I thought at least TMPIN2 is NB in my case, still just to make sure, i used infraread laser thermometer to read MOSFET temps while running Prime95. recorded only 45-47 while CPU socket (TMPIN1) was 55-57.
TMPIN0 is sure general MB temp (or you can say ambient air temp inside my case) which tends to be close to my HDD temp.

Yesterday, I changed my NB heatsink, and of course TMPIN2 droped by 7-8 degree, so this is my story behind confirming TMPIN2 as NB temp.

In my case, TMPIN1 and TMPIN2 used to be only 2-3 degree difference so, i had confusion which one is socket and which one is NB, but now i know which one is what.

TMPIN0= board temp
TMPIN1= Socket temp what AMD OD, Gigabyte Easytune or BIOS reads as CPU temp.
TMPIN2= NB temp or some people call it MB chip temp.

thanks

I would think even a jet of compressed air would serve the purpose to temporarily check the effect of cooling the component in question.

Okay Scrambler, I went and looked at your HWMonitor captures in your CPU forum section thread. Listed below is what I would be thinking the TMPIN temps are reflecting/monitoring.

TMPIN0 = Board temp like ambient inside case or similar.

TMPIN1 = What we call North Bridge Temp.

TMPIN2 = What we call CPU Temp.

Ahhh, that makes sense. It also matches up with my case' internal sensor. Much appreciated RGone.

On my GA-990FXA the last temp read out, meaning "TMPIN2" is the Northbridge sensor. According to Gigabyte so called "support" the max temp for the NB is 80C. My board NB heatsink is also crappy. Is pathetic how they use screws to secure the Southbridge heatsink but not the Northbridge, the silly "clips" used on it are rubbish.
Once I get money I'll planing to buy a aftermarket heatsink very much like yours.

How difficult was it to remove the heatsinks from the mobo? Got a guide or something you could point me to? One of mine was wobbly too, which makes me none-too happy. Although it clearly is transferring heat to the sink - that freaking thing gets HOT. Wouldn't mind at least putting some fresh MX-2 under it.

How difficult was it to remove the heatsinks from the mobo? Got a guide or something you could point me to? One of mine was wobbly too, which makes me none-too happy. Although it clearly is transferring heat to the sink - that freaking thing gets HOT. Wouldn't mind at least putting some fresh MX-2 under it.

Its not difficult but pain when you dont feel like doing too much.
You might need to take MB out unless you have BIG MB cut out. Very likely your NB heatsink is attached by push-pins with springs. You need to get access on the back of MB to pinch the anchoring then it get pushed easily.

In my case MB cut out was not that big so, i was able to pinch only one pin so, i took MB out. As i mentioned on my first post, i had to buy Aluminum screws and rubber washers from Home Depot to fix the new heatsink as the pushpins that came with was crapy/filthy and too loose/small and short to hold new NB heatsink on MB.

I took it out mine a few days ago and it had some pad for the borders of the chipset and some dry paste on the middle, I removed the dry paste, replacing it with MX-2, tho the border pads got a bit mess up while I was cleaning it. Temps are the same or maybe -2c. My guess is that the problem is how the heatsink itself is mounted; is way too loose in my motherboard.

Hello everyone! :attn:

I would like to join the topic with My Motherboard... It's GA 77OT UD3P as in signature.

AMD OD is in my opinion sh*ty software:mad:... Sometimes it is showing TMPIN1,2,3,4 with some values, but sometimes it is showinng "-294,7 *C"... Damn... What a grat cooling :shock: . Sometimes it's shows me Voltages, sometimes NOT, as now: :temper:

http://oi46.tinypic.com/259ac91.jpg

Here is the HWMonitor:
http://oi45.tinypic.com/10zv96x.jpg

And here is the PC Wizard 2012:
http://oi45.tinypic.com/30lca3r.jpg

If You want Me to check this out with any other software, just write Me some links for them:ty:

Some words from Me about temps... TMPIN1 on Gigabyte MB can be the temperatures of CPU, but not the cores (that sensor on the mobo?:thup:).
TMPIN2 in My case, when it is on AMDOD - it is on 79, 80, 81 *C.

You know, even if I start My PC, and imidietly turn on this software to check the temperatures it's not so fast... I don't have SSD :sly:. So to check them out, I'm turning ON the PC, launching the for example AMDOD and clicking a SLEEP button. Then i left PC to cool down, for some hours. While i had in room something about 23*C (todays screens shot, when in room was over 30*:mad:) I woke up the PC and imidietely checked the temperatures... The TMPIN2 still on 79/80 or 81*C, the CPU cores on 24(with SAVING ENERGY) and the GPU on 40:sly:... So WTF? Normally it has 50*C. Today it's hot, so 55+... Manually seting the FAN on 100% - nothing changes... I know, that this is not the topic about GPUs, but I'm talking about this, because the CPU heatsing isn;t hot at 30*C. The GPU heatsing isn't hot at 50*C, but the heatsinks of motherboard are in My opinion 2x hotter, that those of GPU and CPU...

How can I check My MOBO temperature? I have the latest F12 BIOS and drivers and still have no IDEA which software do I have to use and on what values look for...

I've set in BIOS the ALARM when CPU heats up over 60*C... Today for the first time while playing it started to BEEP:eek:. I've turned off the game imidietely and lunched the PRIME95 and looked for the temperatures... When the core temps reached to 47*C the BIOS started to BEEP again. So the CPU temp (which sensor is on motherboard, right?:sly:) is always higher, than core temps? I've OCed the computer a little... After setting up the CPU to 3210Mhz and lunching the PRIME95 for about an hour the core temp reached up to 52 degrees max and there was no beep (or it wasn't turned on yet?:confused: I can;t remember now :D. But yesterday there was preety hot too, and there was no beep...)

Anyway lets focus on the motherboard temps... Sory for so much text... I've always writes too much:chair: :facepalm:

Back