• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Dee or id?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

How is it pronounced I Dee software or id software, and yes id is a word (it has something to do with the part of the brain that produces impulses in freudian psychology)

I was just curious as I have heard it pronouced both ways

fuzzba11 said:
They originally named the company after Freud's "id," so "I Dee" is actually incorrect.

exactly. it's id, not "I Dee". According to Freud, the id is the part of our brain that unleashes our dreams.

fuzzba11 said:
They originally named the company after Freud's "id," so "I Dee" is actually incorrect.

I still say I Dee, out of habit.
agreed

This is not to pick on people for their eduction level, it's just an observation I made a while ago. I used to work at CompUSA in the software department when I was going to school. This was back when the original Doom was a huge hit.

I found that people who had at least some college education often recognized the name "id" and knew it was a reference to Freud. Psychology is a required course at most universities and you just can't teach it without covering Siggy. So when someone would pronounce id's name correctly I'd ask if they had taken a psychology course, and most of the time they had. The customers who had no college background were much more likely to ask me "Where can I find that game Doom, you know the one from I-Dee?".

To me, this was a lot like cache. Computer geeks know it's "cash", but joe sixpacks almost always get it wrong by pronouncing the "e" on the end. So when I was talking to someone I could tell roughly how much they knew about computers just by the way they pronounced cache.

actually I knew wanting to know what id meant in the comic, the wizard of id

but yeah id is not a very well known term

TheGreySpectre said:
but yeah id is not a very well known term

Agreed. I don't think "id" is in the average persons vocabulary.

I've never taken a psych class, and never studied any Freud. I thought it was "I.D."...

Back