• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

...I don't know how to explain this problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roller6902

Registered
ok, so, with my Compaq Presario, I have windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on it.
I got it because Windows Vista is bad (based off opinion and experience)
so, every now and then, the computer goes amazingly slow. I have not the slightest idea why it does this, but all I know to fix it is that you have to open up a good amount of programs. As if opening the program is "cached" so it will open a lot easier the next time I open it.
I noticed this when I open Sony Vegas post-problem. It'll take like 10 minutes to open up the first time, whereas the second time it opens up in like 10 seconds.
Anyways, If you do not clear the problem before resetting, you will have to repeat the process of opening a bunch of RAM eating programs. After you do, the comp works like new again.
I have no idea why this happens. Technically, this comp is a hand-me-down, and the person who gave it to me never understood why it happened either. I did a hard drive check, it seems to be intact. It's not the os because the same os works fine on my laptop. I dont know what else could be put into play for the fault, except my mobo, but I don't want to strongly accuse it.

Can anyone please help me fix this issue? It's not counter-productive in a great way, but it is a pest when it arrives.

and, no, it's not a virus. I've formatted and even re-formatted. Same issue.
If you need more details, feel free to ask.

How about you post a screenshot with a cpuz processor and memory tab, coretemp, and task manager showing cpu and ram usage. Then we will go from there.

It seems like your computer is using quite a bit of memory if that screenshot was taken at idle. The same goes for your cpu usage, as it should be closer to 0. You have quite a bit of memory that you are asking that old athlon x2 to control, so you might try taking 2 sticks out, and seeing if that helps the problem any. Under normal computing and gaming, 4GB of memory is plenty. Did you download and install the drivers for the computer from compaq? If not, then I would also suggest doing that, but that is not very likely the cause of your problems though. If neither of those things make a difference, then just report back here.

For my os, the HP site offers nothing in terms of updating drivers for hardware.
I think I will take out two sticks, and put them aside, seeing what happens. I won't know if anything really happens for quite a while though.

edit: ok, so not I'm down to 4 gigs.
I'll report back when I see any problems.

Last edited:
Normally Windows slows up when it starts doing maintenance on the hard drive. It's a very common problem and super annoying when your dual core laptop goes into super slow mode.

My solution is to leave the laptop on over night at least once a week (turn off any auto shut down) so that Windows has time to update and defrag. If you are very busy with the laptop then a few times a week or even every night works better.

Opening all those windows convinces the OS that you need resources and it stops doing its maintenance, but the effect only last a while usually.

The thing is I'm not on a laptop though. I'm on a desktop,
but, I guess what you say makes the most sense out of what everyone else says.
People always say "oh, you must have some great RAM/CPU eating program open right when you boot up" or something along those lines.

Back