• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I found something I never see anymore...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

...a 450w PSU, with ATX connections, that has power output as well as input in the back.

Remember back in the day when the monitor got its juice from the back of the computer? Yup. This is one of those. I never see them anymore. I pulled it out of a dead Celeron computer, but the PSU is in perfect condition.

The question becomes, what to do with it? I mean, they used to sort of suck, because a 21" CRT would chow down on the juice, but with the low power demands of modern LCDs, this might be golden. It's too big to fit inside the NES-case computer I'm building, and my rig at home already has a 1.2kW PSU.

Ideas?

I'd do... nothing, heh.
If you wanted to use it for some reason, step1 would be replacing all the caps inside as I expect they've had it by now.

I'm betting it would have quite a hard time running a modern PC. Probably doesn't have enough power on the 12v rail.

If you have the know-how, you can maybe mod it to run some things that need 5v. A huge USB charger maybe? LOL

...a 450w PSU, with ATX connections, that has power output as well as input in the back.

Remember back in the day when the monitor got its juice from the back of the computer? Yup. This is one of those. I never see them anymore. I pulled it out of a dead Celeron computer, but the PSU is in perfect condition.

The question becomes, what to do with it? I mean, they used to sort of suck, because a 21" CRT would chow down on the juice, but with the low power demands of modern LCDs, this might be golden. It's too big to fit inside the NES-case computer I'm building, and my rig at home already has a 1.2kW PSU.

Ideas?

post some pictures! i want to see :D

Ideas?

I would keep the cables and then e-waste the rest. It is sure to be low efficiency and unable to power any modern hardware. I use the cables to make custom cables of my own. I keep my sata hard drives in hot swap racks that use 2 4 pin molex power connectors, which you are sure to have with the old ps. Of course it won't have any modern cables, like sata power, or pci-e video.

Woah, I'd completely forgotten about those.... Had one on my first comptuer, a 386sx with a 14" SVGA screen. Also had one of those old Creative SoundBlaster 16 kits where the video card controlled the CD-ROM drive..... Takes me back.....

Back