• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have $5000 to build a HTPC suggestions please???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
stuff

My system Isnt 5 K atm but with auxillary stuff getting there fast.

Actually to think about it my wife's computer, etc stuff and things linked together and the sound system and various things I guess it is, hehe she made a point of mentioning it to me the other day, but she hasn't griped to much in between the theater system stuff and her own personal computer space :p That and plunked down some for a 32 inch monitor (well TV) and a Q9650 yesterday, arg. I jumped a day or too soon I think but was trying to finalize my set up a bit, Ive been using my old Q6600 G0 a long time she'll get to inherit that into her system too :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112024

so she gets to inherit my 22 inch old HP monitor and not griping too much atm :)

I just had to interject one thing into the thread I do use mine (Auzentech) for a HTPC myself and have a pretty nice sound system but not like it sounds you have, but the Auzentech is a nice DTS Dolby sound card Ive found. You can even buy upgradable OPAMPS for it if the standard ones arent good enough, my system sounds great I think just with the standard ones.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_hometheater_hd.php

for theater maybe that one

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_prelude.php

Using this one myself actually it might be better got me it has the upgradable OPAMPS.

This isnt the one Im using actually but thought Id throw a link up to their page, the home theater versiona different one than Im using a bit.

I was thinking if I was gona plop down 5 grand could go neurotic and build a skulltrail from scratch myself and just half build it and add stuff in the future hehe.

half a skulltraill to expand later would just be silly even :p

Would probably be a bit of overkill though for all the other things you could deck it out with atm I guess though.

Just bought a Q9650 myself yesterday and a 32 inch Spectre for a 1920 monitor myself, run this over to an Olevia 747 from HDMI and to the theatre system for watching stuff atm on the side, I've been kinda creeping up on stuff over time I guess :)

A projection with a screen would be cool too I have a friend of a friend has one and its supposed to be pretty good for theatre, he just has a white wall with a frame tack up with trim around it I guess but is a dedicated movie/football room and its pretty cool Id heard. Dont even need a screen, just leave a nice flat wall white and put a frame up that it can project into and looks cool once you align it what he does at any rate I guess.

Last edited:
A projection with a screen would be cool too I have a friend of a friend has one and its supposed to be pretty good for theatre, he just has a white wall with a frame tack up with trim around it I guess but is a dedicated movie/football room and its pretty cool Id heard. Dont even need a screen, just leave a nice flat wall white and put a frame up that it can project into and looks cool once you align it what he does at any rate I guess.

for a proper PJ screen, at the very least, you should at least paint the wall with something like Screen Goo. no regular wall paint! but of course, if you've got the money, nothing beats a real screen with the desire (white/grey) gain ratio.

Back