• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have decided to go Dothan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alot of my Dutch friends buy hardware from UK or DE so it's definately worth checking out, last i heard Germany had better prices aswell.

~t0m

rickyman said:
why you go with Dothan? is Dothan overclocked better than intel P4 (s478 and s775)?

Please read the startpost, and some of the links i provided there.

Clock for clock, Dothan slaughters any P4 / AXP with great margins. In most tasks, it can keep up with the A64, too.

It's a shame about the asus braket being just too big, that doesn't make sense to me, why would they do such a thing.
There must be a way that they considered so that you may have some sort of cooling on that without a custom build?

Hmmm, now off to find out to see how they expect this to be done.... :D

EDIT: ok I read some of the links that was posted, but I assume it only works on those 3 boards listed?

Dylruss said:
It's a shame about the asus braket being just too big, that doesn't make sense to me, why would they do such a thing.
There must be a way that they considered so that you may have some sort of cooling on that without a custom build?

Hmmm, now off to find out to see how they expect this to be done.... :D

EDIT: ok I read some of the links that was posted, but I assume it only works on those 3 boards listed?

I've been thinking, wouldn't it be possible to bend the jumper and power pins to a 90 degree angle tso they have a lower profile and then just cut off the exposed plastic parts? It would allow you to use a cooling solution other than the one asus provides.

pip said:
I've been thinking, wouldn't it be possible to bend the jumper and power pins to a 90 degree angle tso they have a lower profile and then just cut off the exposed plastic parts? It would allow you to use a cooling solution other than the one asus provides.

Anything that mounts on the retention bracket will fit with a little modding. Look in post #2 for a suggestion on modding the asus bracket so it will fit a solution with the mounting holes.

*edit*

Thanks to Jimbob i will be in posession of the ASUS adapter sooner then i expected. He found a retailer in the UK that carries them, and he is ordering one for me. As soon as i get it, i will do research on whether the above suggested mods will be possible.

Last edited:
Great! I would like to know if it's possible to grind the edges of the adapter to let rods for waterblock mounting fit. I've got a Storm G4 and I want to put it on a dothan, it seems so retarded of them to have blocked the holes.

ShaDrag said:
Great! I would like to know if it's possible to grind the edges of the adapter to let rods for waterblock mounting fit. I've got a Storm G4 and I want to put it on a dothan, it seems so retarded of them to have blocked the holes.

Adapter should be here monday, i'll have a bash then. Ive been looking at alot of pictures and it looks like it will work. If not then griding a ridge in the poles will surely fix things. Getting the dothan on a 478 board like this is most certainly possible.

Without having the adapter it makes it a bit harder to decide whether ideas will work. We will have a better idea of things on monday.

uclajd said:
I just bought one of the 479 adapters. We'll see how a 760 @ -85C can do...

Where did you get the adapter?

You're in so-cal, we need to hook up one day for some benching, i want to use that cascade :) :cool:

Sjaak said:
As the title says. I have decided to go Dothan. Reasons? read on!

- Great performance at relatively low clockspeeds
- Great for games
- Low TDP, even when overclocked
- Thus, easy (silent) cooling
- Great for folding
- Good OC perspective

For more info, some suggestions:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=385603&highlight=dothan
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=375960&highlight=dothan
http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/33443
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dothan20&page=1

What do i intend?

To get a Dothan, a motherboard fitted for it and see what exactly it can do regarding overclocking, performance and cooling. The 1.6 and 1.86 models (133FSB) are looking quite good, and prices keep lowering. If succesful, i will attempt to write a frontpage article about it, to reveal some of Dothan's most intimate secrets to the greater public. THG or X86-secret doing reviews is nice, but i really like to see things up close myself if they interest me, and do benchmarks that matter most for me. (and probably to most people here on OCF)

Why?

Because i want to try and see the possibilities myself. Because i am in need of a better system, because Dual-Cores, the P4 6x0 and the A64 are nice, but not nice enough to me. I'm in for a change, and the tiny little notebook chip-that-could seems right to me. I have always been a fan of 'don't ask why, but ask 'why not?''

Since last friday, i have been owning a Dothan chip in my second laptop. I cannot help but feel that it is very, very smooth, even better then my desktop. Running multiple FF windows, Skype, MSN, F@H etc. and still the system is responsive and smooth.

When?

I am looking approximatly 1.5 - 2 months ahead. The chips are available right now, but motherboards are lacking, The only one available has the intel 855 chipset, an outdated, singlechannel notebook chipset. Therefor i need to wait for the new 915 motherboards with socket 479. They will be more expensive then normal desktop boards and the simpler 855 ones, but will offer a much broader range of features and overclocking options. The ASUS adapter is an option, too, but it will seriously limit cooling options. Therefor i consider it a last resort, when the other boards are too expensive or simply lacking in availability.

How?

Yes, Dothans, and especially the motherboards, are expensive. I estimated that i am going to need somewhere between 500€ and 800€ for this upgrade. (please read on for an explanation!) Therefor i will need to save money. My birthday is May 18th, i probably will be getting some nice extra funding then. I will cut down on my saturday-nights-out, and try to work more. I will sell some of my other hardware in order to gather money. I will put those funds saved on a separate bank account, specially reserved for this upgrade. I will keep the second post updated with financial information. Anyone willing to support is most welcome =)

What else?

Depending on the amount of money i can gather, i would like to get watercooling, too. Will make for a better silent system, and better cooling. If Dothan gets my blessing, i will sell my current rig (cpu - mobo - VGA) and get a next-gen VGA, too. Quite a big step, yes, but it has been a good 10 months since i spent more then 25€ on my pc.

Why this thread?

I felt there was a need for a decent thread on just Dothan, free of other platform discussions. All good threads on it have been spoiled by Dual-Core and A64 stuff, something i'd rather not have here. I have read up plenty on dothan, and i think i know what i am doing. If you have any ideas, you are welcome, but please keep it on topic. If i make any progress, or any revelations regarding Dothan appear, i will let it know here.

People who are interested in Dothan are extremely welcome, please PM / mail / MSN me so we can discuss possible options.

OMG... Dothans are rip offs from Athlons. :p DAMN IT INTEL! AMD FIGURED OUT A WAY OF LOWERING CLOCK SPEEDS YET STILL MAINTINING THE SAME PERFORMANCE FIRST! :)

What's up with the name "Dothan" anyway? I mean, can't they think of something better? Here's AMD naming their chip's cores "Winchester", "Venice", and "San Diego" and here's Intel naming it "Dothan". Hmm... :shrug:

OK, on a more serious note:

Get whatever makes you happy, that's the grand solution to the Intel/AMD war.

Macci over at XS is playing with one of these adapters, a p4c800, water cooling and an x800xt pe. currently running it at 2.9ghz on a pelt however the 3dmark scores are insane. link

These are doing so good at overclocking and benching I think I might have to just skip an a64 thoughts and go this way.

Is it just me or can no one else find any reviews/posts on the i915GMm-hfs board either? See it sold a bunch of places (300$ :eek: would rather get a k8n-dl) but no reviews.

jamesavery22 said:
Is it just me or can no one else find any reviews/posts on the i915GMm-hfs board either? See it sold a bunch of places (300$ :eek: would rather get a k8n-dl) but no reviews.

Yeah they're very scarce. I'm going to skip the board anyway, cause it doesn't have the 478 mounting holes.

Back