• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have decided to go Dothan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Adapter came today, my first plan really isn't going to work, now having a good look at it, its not really possable to grind the sides down. What you cant see on the pictures underneath the adapter there is circuitry which is almost black, quite hard to see. When i get a chip i'll be bending the poles on the TDX.

Last edited:
Mounting holes dont bother me much. Not hard to manufacture a new mounting plate for pretty much anything so it can use the stock P4 retention mechanism and the clips that come with the adapter's heatsink. Having just 4 holes is even easier to use.

Anyone else with some OC stories? No ln2 prefered =)

jamesavery22 said:
Mounting holes dont bother me much. Not hard to manufacture a new mounting plate for pretty much anything so it can use the stock P4 retention mechanism and the clips that come with the adapter's heatsink. Having just 4 holes is even easier to use.

Anyone else with some OC stories? No ln2 prefered =)

That's what i've been thinking, the Intel bracket is versatile and allows for easy modding. The adapter problem Jimbob described above isn't as big as it seemed.

He's ordering mine ASAP, and i'm currently talking on MSN to Gautam about Dothan, so expect some progress soon :)

Need to be able to get my SLK948U onto the mobo, not guessing that should be a problem. Right now the only hiccup for me is finding a desktop S478 proc to flash the BIOS with.

Mounting seems simple when you look at it, but its alot harder than you think :p. Because of the TDX it makes things alot harder, but evenstill, its no simple task unless you get lucky with the componets you have somehow.

Gautam - surely you must know someone with a P4CPU, or even a celly?

Jimbob7 said:
Mounting seems simple when you look at it, but its alot harder than you think :p. Because of the TDX it makes things alot harder, but evenstill, its no simple task unless you get lucky with the componets you have somehow.

Thats why I like to buy in bulk at onlinemetals :D Make a plate to just go ontop of the TDX to hold it down. The stock TDX mounting top for socket 478 isnt larger than the stock retention bracket. Cutting down some 1/8" aluminum platting to the right size and drilling holes for the barbs would be under an hour if you already had it drawn out. Im guessing TDX + adapter would be right around the same height as the 479 heatsink.

Heck buying the right thickness brass bar (so thickness of TDX bass + brass bar thickness = thickness of 479 heatsink) would be even easier. Cut it so its the same square dimension of the inner part of the stock retention thing, cut out that notch for the jumper and PWM plug, then drill and tap the inlet/outlet holes. Plus you are getting rid of the naughty lucite top.

But a TDX for a dothan? Kinda overkill isnt it? Id not use any accelerator plate at all. I remember some guy used a MCW20 to watercool his dothan, and that was overkill.

Yeh, but i have water cooling already, i wouldn't buy a TDX for a dothan :p. Although, you never know, it might get me a few more mhz.:D

Seems like a good idea care to make a simple picture? My idea is just to make the two holes in the mobo bigger and in the TDX so i can move the pole across slightly to fit along side the adapter, no idea if this will work or not, in theory it should, i think.:p

Jimbob7 said:

Gautam - surely you must know someone with a P4CPU, or even a celly?
How does it get harder exactly?

Processor wise, I got a couple of friends with dells...I guess one of those will have to do.

Macci did gain about 100MHz stepping up to cold water.

You will see when you get the adapter, all these close up pictures make things look alot bigger on the card, when i got it, it was tiny most of my ideas went out the window, ie making a ridge on the sides of the card, it really isn't possable to the extent i was thinking. I hear you are buying some hardware soon, do you have any ideas as to how you will mount your SLK948U?

maybe its just me but i thought someone would have thought of this already. Useing the intel bracket why not take out those nylon clips that go through the mobo. Use some small bolts from ratshack or home depot. use nylon/rubber washer to insulat the bolt from the bottom of the board. Then raise the bracket it self using either the nylon/rubber washers/nuts to equal the height to put a stock intel sink on or cnps-7000 or even swiffy 600x blocks. IE height of adapter = height need to be raised from mobo to allow use of the bracket.

*edit*
there seems to be a way to use the tdx or any block needing to be bolted. Just means new shorter bolts. I saw a pic a guy had an idea of that i will do my best to explain. Have a small peice of metal or plastic that bolts to the holes on the mobo being blocked. Then have it bent to go around the card itself at the areas that were highlighted in the pic earier in the thread. we would need to make sure the new mounting holes would not hit anything on the card and line up with the HSF/block. someone would have to have some measuring equim. to make sure that the mounting force will be the same as if it were on the Aopen 855gme board.

Last edited:
Don't suppose you have the link to that do you? It sounds very interesting. When i get all the stuff i'll have a good play around with it, but i think all ideas have been thought up including your contribution.

Jimbob7 said:
Don't suppose you have the link to that do you? It sounds very interesting. When i get all the stuff i'll have a good play around with it, but i think all ideas have been thought up including your contribution.
I know it was on the XS forums the guy had a small cad pic of what it might look like but i do think someone said there would be problems do to the weight of the hsf/block i cant find it right now but when i do ill post a link. But with raising the intel bracket has anyone actually tried it? if not i get my 479 adapter later this week and have a dead is7.... think i need to make a few trips...

*edit* ill work in paint/adobe and see if i can get close to what he had and post it up....he was more or less showing what some people were already talking about

Check this out folks. Mounting the HSF seems to be the only hiccup, and it looks like we're making headway in getting that solved.

I can't turn away my head and you guys bring up the most brilliant mounting ideas...brilliant.

Will ad the XS thread to the start post, thanks Gautam :thup:

Also: Updated financial status; BDAY tomorrow!

This would be nice but I really like my Abit Mobo and it will probably kill me if I tried an Asus adapter in it.

Shame but atleast now I know where to find one of these things :).

Looks like my Zalman would be a really easy mount just need to get some longer screws. Oh and some sheet rubber foam as as shim as it would automatically fit itself to the proper height and give proper resistance.

I have aopen board for dothan, to bad It deoesn't let increase vcore higher than the stock maybe cpu could get higher. The cpu in the pic was from my laptop, I replace cpu in laptop with a higher one, and got stock with this one. I never had 50% overclock on air so I feel happy even though the overclock is not impressive. My whole system is laying in front of on the desk, and I really doubt that it makes more than 30db of noise, which would be like one 120mm fan at full speed

Attachments

• cpu-2324.JPG
    cpu-2324.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,260
That is real nice for that sort of voltage. :thup:

Well all my stuff's ordered. Let's see how this turns out...

Back