• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have NO idea how to install the Cooler Master 212+ on my mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kazaam

Registered
It said to remove the mobo backplate and install the backplate that comes with the 212+. Well, i did that, but it also removed the top part that pushes the CPU down (that lever). Do i have to reinstall the level part?

I have an ASRock extreme3 gen3.

Nope, it comes with 4x pressure screws and another bit which goes under the coolers fins bolting it down onto the backplate. It's reasonably straight forward.

so i dont put back the part with the lever?

was i wrong to remove the mobo backplate? do i just install it over the mobo backplate?

What i do NOT understand, is on the topside of the mobo, there is a level that pushes the CPU down. Well, when i removed the mobo backplate, that top part came off too. Should i screw it back on? I think im supposed to, since there are three holes in the exact same position of the ones i took out (on the 212+ backplate).

You should have only removed 4 screws on your motherboard to install the CM 212+ backplate.

Having recently done an install of the 212+, here are a few pointers:

This is the best application method I've tried for the thermal paste. (I've taken it off and reodne it at least 5 times.)
Capture-1.png

Make sure the four spring-mounted screws on the metal "X" are in the right notches. (3 possible notches.) To move them, pull up or push up on them and slide them to the correct notch.

Take the fan off before you install the heatsink. You won't be able to screw it on otherwise.

Check for RAM clearance on your mobo - my ram sits up against the fan on the cooler.

Tighten the screws on the mount a little at a time, in an X pattern.

If you have an extra 120mm fan lying around, definitely attach it to the cooler. Push/pull seems to work best. (Front fan sucking in, back fan blowing out.)

There are a couple of really good guides out there as well, a quick google will get you there.

Back