• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a BackUp UPS.... (for the rig in my sig)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would look at between a 1000VA - 1500VA unit. I have used Cyber Power, APC, Tripp Lite, and many others. Expect about 4-5yrs without any issues from them, after that it is only a matter of time to replace batteries or get a new unit. Cyber Power ones seem to be cheaper and have a lot of features, but I have seen some of them that will barely hold their rated load. APC and Tripp Lite have been good for me. I currently run a Tripplite Smart 2200VA for my main system and media server. I get about 15 min runtime with a 800W load.

1000-1500VA seems excessive for a system that might eat 450w (so ~454-470VA) from the wall on a bad day at 100% load with OCing.
Not sure why there are two PSUs in it either, but that's not the point at the moment.

I'll freely admit that I'm not experienced in UPS-Fu though.

That GPU eats 200w on a (really) bad day. The OCZ unit could run that entire rig with a second GTX670.

UPS wise it seems awfully weird to have a 1500VA 900W rating. Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't mean for you, I mean that 1500VA 900W assumes a 60% power factor.

It's in and installed! Keep in mind that runtime is as of now and I have not juice my PC (overclocked it) yet since I just moved to new BIOS. so i am sure once i bump my rig to 4.6/4.7ghz that time will drop by 10-15 minutes

Capture-6.jpg

Curious about what people think in this thread.

When the 3dv gaming setup in my sig is running at full load the Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD starts screaming that I'm close to exceeding the max load (and 1 of the 3 monitors is plugged into a different ups). My ups is rated for 1500VA, 900watts so figured it'd be fine but n-o-o-o-o. wtf?

Well, at stock your numbers are :

CPU: 130w stock. Probably 160w-200w now.
GPU: 3x200w stock, add the power slider percentage.
HDD: 20w.
Monitors seem to be 30-60w each.
Mobo/ram/fans/etc: 50w.

Grand total: ~930w, and that's inside the computer. If you have an 80+ gold PSU you're looking at around 1000w from the wall.

EDIT:
Sidenote: The 1500VA is apparently pretend then, given a .98 or better PF like you get with modern PSUs 1500VA should be something like 1400w or 1450w to the PSU.

Hey...even though my 3x gpu scores could be improved (and 1x and 2x and cpu *groan*)...don't think I'll be pulling a card out anytime soon

OK...any thoughts on the ups I posted the link for? Anyone have a better recommendation that's still under $300?

Back