• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need advice on putting windows 7 on a Macbook.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sbr2012

Registered
Hi guys, I just recently went from a Windows laptop to a Mac laptop and I was wondering on what and how to go about putting window on my mac as a parallel operating system. I have only a one program that i use for my four wheeler that only runs on a windows operating system. I've never paralleled any thing before so its all new. Could I use a external hard drive to run the operating system? Do i need that window paralleling program along with a windows 7 operating system.? I'm checking with you guys before any thing.

thanks

ohhh man is it really that easy???? haha I was looking at those programs before you use the operating system. I can use the OEM Windows 7 on my external harddrive or does it have to be on my laptop harddrive
?

is the external drive bootable? if so just go into system preferences and from there go to startup disk and have it plugged in. and from there choose your boot device. Otherwise go into boot camp assistant and put your disk in and from there follow the on screen steps.

Idk if it is but I will check now. it's just a Toshiba portable external hard drive. From my guess it's not. Wouldn't mind going SSD with it.

ok thanks, once i receive my Windows 7 and install it I might hit you back up if I'm having any issues. I don't plan on having much on it other then the OS and my program for my four wheeler. Shouldn't take much memory. OEM is ok along with Retail correct?

The only thing i would note is in Canada for sure you can't return OEM copies of Windows 7... So maybe you could just go with the full version of windows 7 Home Premium? just to be more safe than sorry.

sounds good to me. either way works. I don't think you can in the US either. If I have any more questions about it I'll let you know. thank you very much

Yeah OEM is not returnable. But yeah all you should have to do is boot camp :)

hint, after you have windows installed, holding the option key during boot lets you pick which OS to boot.

Doesn't really matter. Depends on how much RAM you have in and how much you plan on putting in. Might i ask about what Mac you have? Apple doesn't publish the proper amount of RAM you could put in and i send you to a site to get more RAM for it.

16gb 1600 MHz ram 512gb ssd drive I am only putting one small program on it and that's it.

I wish my Macbook Pro was that fancy... All i have is a 500GB HDD and 16GB of 1600Mhz RAM...

edit: and Intel HD 4000 Graphics... :'(

Back