• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need an upgrade, help me choose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

Hello everyone, its been awhile since I was here but im a long time member and you guys are the best.

Right now I have been running my x4 965 phenom I had it since it was top of the line few years back. I am looking to upgrade my CPU,MOBO and RAM. Would prefer to stick with amd but am open to options on intel as well.

What I need

I trade stocks/commodities and heavy multitask, gaming is at the very low end of my priorities. Just looking to something very fast and good for lots of multitasking with alot of charts and browser windows open. I would prefer to stick with onboard video but is not a must. Would be nice if the mobo had a coax line for my z5500 sound system.

Right now im running 4 monitors, 2 onboard video and 2 on a graphics card.

Price range is around $300 -$450 max for cpu, ram and mobo.

What CPU,MOBO and RAM would you guys pair up for best performance?

Thanks In advance
Nate

Hello everyone, its been awhile since I was here but im a long time member and you guys are the best.

Right now I have been running my x4 965 phenom I had it since it was top of the line few years back. I am looking to upgrade my CPU,MOBO and RAM. Would prefer to stick with amd but am open to options on intel as well.

What I need

I trade stocks/commodities and heavy multitask, gaming is at the very low end of my priorities. Just looking to something very fast and good for lots of multitasking with alot of charts and browser windows open. I would prefer to stick with onboard video but is not a must. Would be nice if the mobo had a coax line for my z5500 sound system.

Thanks In advance
Nate

This is a "general hardware" question.

I don't believe your Z5500 is coax. Afaik it takes SPDIF and regular 3.5mm jack.

this is coax
5ft.%20coaxial%20cable.jpg

definitely not what your speakers take.

If I were getting a new PC now I'd go with a Haswell i7 in your shoes. And I'd overclock it. You don't need a lot of power but it sounds like you want your system as fast as possible.

I don't personally see any reason to upgrade from your 965 if all you have is stocks and websites going.

If you really want a significant upgrade though I'd go with something like a 4770K and an ASUS Z87 PRO board. That'd be my choice. Obviously other people will recommend a different cpu/board.

thanks for the fast response. Your right about the coax but I just looked on the z5500 and it says digital coax and optical coax. Guess thats diff than coax for tv LOL.

My pc does lag now which can be very annoying when I have 10 charts open and few browser windows and music playing.. I know ram is part of the problem since im on 32bit system but I have such a hard time giving up my musicmatch jukebox.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks for the fast response. Your right about the coax but I just looked on the z5500 and it says digital coax and optical coax. Guess thats diff than coax for tv LOL.

My pc does lag now which can be very annoying when I have 10 charts open and few browser windows and music playing.. I know ram is part of the problem since im on 32bit system but I have such a hard time giving up my musicmatch jukebox.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Right, I forgot about coax digital. Sorry :(. Most motherboards have the optical output for your speakers. The one I listed definitely does. That may not be the best board with the best featureset for your needs. You have to decide whether you want to overclock, how high you want to overclock, and what features you want (wifi, bluetooth, how many sata ports, etc).

Personally I would get the FX-8320 with a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard and a set of 2x8Gb 1600MHz RAM.

Personally I would get the FX-8320 with a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard and a set of 2x8Gb 1600MHz RAM.

From the beginning I was thinking of sticking with amd and was actually thinking about the 8320 or 8350. Your thinking get the 8320 and just overclock it to the 8350 or higher and save the extra $40-$50?

Nope - no difference that I can tell for 5.1 dd. Not sure about dts and above but I'm assuming same deal.

What I need

Thanks In advance
Nate
Nate, I also trade for a living, been doing it 18 years. I also run 4 monitors on two GPU's. With multiple charts open as well as MM Boxes alert screens etc.

These are my 2 computers I use:
I5 2500k/Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 8 gig ram dual 7600 gt gpus
Fx 8350/Crosshair V Formula, 8 gig ram, 1 GTX 580 1 GTS 450, this on is in my home office.

There isn't really any difference between the two for trading related tasks. What I have found though between the two systems is the following:
The Fx processors are power hungry and need a quality Motherboard to run correctly. Therefore they also generate a lot of heat, especially if you plan on overclocking. So you'll also need good case airflow and a good aftermarket heatsink is probably in need also.

If it were my money I would see if I could pick up an I5 3570k/Asrock Z77 Extreme 4. Due to Haswell being out I'd assume you can get them a little cheaper now.

GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD

i picked this board since you have two video cards and because you prob want to use another gigabyte board.

CPU
i picked the 8350 because since its an octo core it should handle the amount of multitasking you put on the processor. i would have picked intel but i feel this one would do good.

RAM

since i saw you have 4gb of ram in your sig, i thought i suggest this one to you. it operates at 1866 and is 8gb. i also picked the dual channel kind since your multitasking would take full advantage of it.

totals 410 dollars if you buy it now. couldn't find a motherboard with a coax connector.

From the beginning I was thinking of sticking with amd and was actually thinking about the 8320 or 8350. Your thinking get the 8320 and just overclock it to the 8350 or higher and save the extra $40-$50?

For what you're doing, you would never notice the difference between the 8320 & 8350.

It's possible your Phenom II machine's lifespan could be extended with a few tweaks, maybe starting with going to 8 or 16GB of RAM. Then putting more overclock on the CPU.

I looked on newegg and I can get the 3570k and nice mobo with free 8gb of ram for $350.

I think it might be better to go with the 3570k vs the 8320fx and save $60, plus what I could tell is that the 3570k beats the 8320fx in just about every way.

I am leaning towards mandrakes suggestion but I never had an Intel before:-/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

It's possible your Phenom II machine's lifespan could be extended with a few tweaks, maybe starting with going to 8 or 16GB of RAM. Then putting more overclock on the CPU.

Right now im maxed 3.7ghz, I tried everything but it won't clock higher and be stable, even with my nactua cooler

I looked on newegg and I can get the 3570k and nice mobo with free 8gb of ram for $350.

I think it might be better to go with the 3570k vs the 8320fx and save $60, plus what I could tell is that the 3570k beats the 8320fx in just about every way.

I am leaning towards mandrakes suggestion but I never had an Intel before:-/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Right now im maxed 3.7ghz, I tried everything but it won't clock higher and be stable, even with my nactua cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544

oh. didnt know you were werent that cheap. but as for the Extreme4 z77 that you picked, get this board instead. i had to replace the asrock extreme4 z77 three times. yet even on the third board i have right now, the sound is dieing, programs and windows is crashng, and so far its shown a black screen on one night and then randomly shut off the next time i turned it back on.

i checked my power supply with a volts meter and its reading fine. so i dont think it would be that.

but if you want to buy that board still, then go right ahead. maybe it really is my power supply, maybe it isnt. but if i see the same problems happening on the new board that ill purchase soon, then ill admit its my CX750 power supply.

Never had an issue with my Extreme 4, but on the AMD side had two MSI boards VRM's blow up on me. It's just luck of the draw, problems happen with every manufacturer.

Nate do you live anywhere near a microcenter?

Never had an issue with my Extreme 4, but on the AMD side had two MSI boards VRM's blow up on me. It's just luck of the draw, problems happen with every manufacturer.

Nate do you live anywhere near a microcenter?

how long did you have the Extreme4 z77? did you overclock it? if you did overclock it, what did you overclock it to?

as for the MSI boards >> click MSI on the bottom

the 990 boards are the ones that would you would want to use.

I have had the Extreme 4 for approximately a year, I run it about 9 hours a day @ 4.5 with a 2500k on it. I have it stable on air 2 hours prime blend up to 4.9 but I don't find it necessary to run it at those speeds and voltages day in and day out. I have benched it at 5.3 @ 1.48 cpu v.

The MSI boards I blew up were in 2011 with my 955be on them. It was a 970 chipset after the 2nd one went I bought an Asus M5A99X EVO which is where my 955 sits as we speak. It runs 4.1 24/7 on it without a hitch.

If you're going Intel, go current-gen. The 1155 socket is EOL'd now.

Back