• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need an upgrade, help me choose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Haswell stuff, 4670k would be the new i5. They're on socket 1150, which is most likely what the next gen will also be on.

That's actually a decent set of RAM, and makes that board worth it for you.

Also, when I posted the Gigabyte, it was $115.

That's actually a decent set of RAM, and makes that board worth it for you.

Also, when I posted the Gigabyte, it was $115.

think I will grab that then. you would not recommended going with the new amd a10-6800k chips. I can never make up my mind and always second guess myself.

This 4670k is better?

I think I decided to go with the 3570k but not sure what mobo to get yet, possibly this one with free 8gb memory its $350 for the upgrade

8gb 1600
ASRock Z77 Extreme4

I too would urge you not to go previous gen. The chip you want now is the 4670K. You get more performance per Mhz, and 6 sata 6gbps ports.

I too would urge you not to go previous gen. The chip you want now is the 4670K. You get more performance per Mhz, and 6 sata 6gbps ports.

yes that would good advice you gave me both of you.

Im going with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131980
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148662

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

its not worth going with the amd a10 6800k? This intel setup is much better? Just stumbled across the 6800k today and now im seconds guessing my self on this 4670k build.

Last edited:
If you're going to use the integrated graphics, I would push you to the A10-6800k.

Edit: AMD's APU is miles ahead on graphics performance, and will make your experience without a dedicated graphics card a lot better. But, with a graphics card, the Intel processor will be the better choice because the processor itself is faster.

really don't care about the graphics, I want the performance, INTEL 4670k it is then :thup:

this ram is compatible with the z87mobo in my previous post #31? I read the one newegg review and he said the 8gb free with the mobo is not compatible but from what I can tell, it is. I just want to double check before i went and ordered it.

This is a "general hardware" question.

I don't believe your Z5500 is coax. Afaik it takes SPDIF and regular 3.5mm jack.

this is coax
5ft.%20coaxial%20cable.jpg

definitely not what your speakers take.

If I were getting a new PC now I'd go with a Haswell i7 in your shoes. And I'd overclock it. You don't need a lot of power but it sounds like you want your system as fast as possible.

I don't personally see any reason to upgrade from your 965 if all you have is stocks and websites going.

If you really want a significant upgrade though I'd go with something like a 4770K and an ASUS Z87 PRO board. That'd be my choice. Obviously other people will recommend a different cpu/board.

Just to clear up the confusion. The picture you listed is a coaxial cable with an "F" type connector. Coaxial refers to the cable itself not the connector. A coaxial cable has a center conductor surrounded by a tubular insulator which is in turn surrounded by a tubular conductor, such as the RG-6 cable which is what you typically see used in television/satellite television setups. Coax is used in many instances like audio, tv, satcomm etc. because the EM field is ideally limited to the space between the inner core conductor and the outer (typically mesh) conductor which allows you to have other lines etc. near it without causing much interference. The type of cable he wants to go between his computer and speaker is a coaxial cable with an RCA connector on each end. The specific output he's looking for on the motherboard is an S/PDIF output.

Back