• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help choosing my parts for my next computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaloHarley

i was thinking of getting a new computer...right now i have:
intel i7 2600k
Gigabyte z68ap-d3 mobo
16gb RAM
crosshair H60 liquid cooling
3tb segate barraccuda HDD
dual xfx radeon 7770(over crossfire)
osz 600w PSU

i was thinking of getting
processer: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
motherboard: Maximus V Formula
video card: dual EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 2GB sli
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
PSU: KINGWIN Lazer LZ-850 850W Modular 80 PLUS
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Stryker

I am also going to use my old HDD and optical drive and put in custom liquid.cooling. It must also be under $1500.

SLI 660s? Why not one 680? At least look at the 660Ti. SLI isn't as good as it could be. Evn some games don't run a good SLI, wastn't coded right.

You sure don't need 850W PSU.

Not sure about that case, ever see watercooling in one? You might look at a proven watercooling case instead.

i was thinking sli because i have seen that they show better performence concidering there will also be 3 monitors. And i was thinking of the 660 because i couldnt find a 680 with crossfire. the case i chose was just for the price and because it had a clear side. if you recomend anything different post a link. i am very open to opinions with this.

If your running 3 monitors you'll want 4GB video cards for surround gaming for the best result. And two 660s prolly isn't enough horsepower.

LOL, 680 (Nvidia) is SLI, not Xfire, thats's only AMD......................

A 680 next to another 680 is SLI, just like two 660s.

I was looking for a second computer and the HDD from the old one will be replaced. i looked up the 680 and i think i might get this one then and expand my price to 2k(link to the card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121635). and i know crossfire is ati/amd and sli is nvidia i just wrote the wrong thing. Im also thinking of geting nvidia 3d vision too. and the liquid cooling stuff will be about $400.

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

I am just planning on building a beast computer for gameing and video rendering. my budget is 2k and that doesnt include peripherals or windows. I am from the US and i dont really care where the parts are. I have a microcenter about an hour away and i dont have a car or my license so i cant go very often. the only real specific requests are that i perfer ASUS, idc how loud but im getting custom liquid cooling any way, and that it will have 1 sli card minimun so i can upgrade later. Thank you for the help.:)

Order of planning, first pick your parts, then design your water loop, then pick your case LAST. That way, you'll be sure that you have a case that can fit the water loop.

MIVF is overkill for you, it's built for subzero (dry ice/liquid nitrogen). I'd probably get a ASRock Extreme4, or an ASUS P8Z77-V if you want to stick to them.

No reason to go with two midrange cards, get a single high end card and grab another in the future. Triple screen 3D, you need as much power and vRAM as you can get, so get a single 4GB 670 or 680 and add another in the future. 750W PSU is good.

Back