• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help with overheating mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UberScary

hello all i can say is that my pc has run fine for a while now but when i came to it this morning it started fine but after a few mins it shut down so i started it again hoping it was blip but then it shut down again so i felt the cpu cooler but it was bearly warm so i checked the gpu but still cold then i touched a heat sink that was red hot on the mobo . after a while i tried again and the same thing happend so i cleared out the dust and changed the paste but the problem is still there . only 1 heat sink on the mobo gits warm the rest are cool

components
cpu-fx6350
cooler-cooler master seidon 120v
psu-xviper 750w
gpu-r9 280x 3gb
mother board-asrock extreme 4 970
ram-8gb kingston

i have an open case so not many fans i do not know that much about pcs so please can u help

ps
my hdd is old and tiered now so it takes a little while to turn on

Can you use MSpaint and put an arrow on the heat sink that is getting "Red" hot. There are 3 heatsinks and none of them should ever get to awefully hot.

ext4.jpg

Also, it would help us if you could download HWMonitor(free) and try and get a screen shot of that window so we can see the actual temps.

i dont have time to install on software on the pc it shuts off way to fast pc desttop.jpg
the red arrow points at the hot heat sync thank you for helping mwe :)

The way I see it, your only option at this point is to move your GPU to the lower PCI-E slot and aim a fan at the heatsink. That should buy you enough time for you to diagnose the problem.

im going to take it to the computer repair shop in the morning i think but thanks guys for trying to help :)

Buy a small 40mm fan and zip tie or double sided tape it to that heatsink. $5 vs God knows how much from a shop.

Go into bios and

Set bios to default
disable 2 of your fpus. (I.e. shut off cores 3/4 and 5/6).

May buy you some time to install hwmonitor.

i was not sure where to find hwmonitor so i just used specky and asrock monitor and they both showed 30 but when i took the fan away from the sync it heated up again but both of the monitors showed no heat increase not sure what to do as we have a 5 day old baby at home so cant spend a lot of time or money on this .Oh last thing the cpu never went above 20 either . shud i tri my old cpu in the mobo its a 4100 fx a bit slower and less power draw

Back