• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlexBainn

Registered
Hello forum
So Im pretty new to this whole computer equipment and stuff but I still heavily love to play games on computer
At the moment I have a base HP Pavillion 500 gaming computer but unfortunately some of the specs are holding me back on playing my games such as bf3, blacklight and what not
My 16th birthday is soon approaching and I was just wondering wether these components I have chosen will work and be able to be put in my computer and wether they would enhance my FPS and gaming performance

ASUS 4 GB STRIX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 PCIe Graphics Card

Corsair 16B (2 x 8GB) Dominator Platinum DDR3 1600MHz DIMM CL9

Intel Core i5-4690K - 3.5 GHz - socket 1150 - Processor

All help is welcome, if all doesnt work please suggest any suggestions as I am a complete dumbass to all this stuff
All the help and Regards
Alex

HP Pavillion 500... what is the hardware that is inside of it, including the power supply wattage (looking for amperage on the 12v rail specifically).

IF these would work (big IF considering we have no idea what the hardware inside is...), then it most certainly would help out. That said, you may not need to touch ram as 8GB is plenty. And if that CPU is drop in to your motherboard, it likely wouldn't help too much anyway honestly. I don't beleive that CPU will fit in the first place. Its going to be the GPU that gives you what you need really.

I assume you game at 1080p resolution?

But yeah, we need complete system specs before we can help. :)

Last edited:
If you're getting a 4690K you'll have to change the motherboard.
Power supply is only 300W, it would need to be replaced if you're adding a dedicated graphics card.

Ok cool thanks !
Any suggestions on what motherboard and power supply I should get ?

Well it for my 16th birthday
So I guess between £500 - £600
So $750 to $900 if your American

Why is this in the AMD forum too???

Moved to General Hardware and deleted the duplicate thread. :)

Anyway, you are going to be building a new system...about the only thing you can keep is the ram. That is an AMD system and Intel doesn't fit (square peg round hole). The PSU is too weak for a new GPU. The case is likely not sufficient for airflow. You will be in the $900 range for a new PC if you want to go Intel. ATM has you taken care of...

Your RAM is fine. If all you're doing is gaming you can either leave the proc and motherboard as is or maybe the Pentium 20th anniversary and overclock.

2015-02-02-125623_785x930_scrot.png

Your RAM is fine. If all you're doing is gaming you can either leave the proc and motherboard as is or maybe the Pentium 20th anniversary and overclock.

View attachment 159383
Id get a 4690K... no dual cores for a gaming machine these days... no way.

I'd grab this:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/C9znCJ

I don't know that I'd get a G3258, as a lot of games are actually using more than two cores now.
I like that, but he already has 8GB 1600Mhz in dual channel. No point in buying faster since he isn't using the iGPU with his 970.

Wow Id be lost without you guys !!
Thanks a lot for your help because at least I now know I wont be screwing up my computer for my birthday
Thanks guys :)

Im just wondering if i can just push the budget some, what could I do to get some ridiculous FPS but still maintaining Extremely high quality on games like bf3 ?
I mean if possible im not expecting a 1,000 budget or something but you guys seem to know what your doing ?

Perhaps I misread the specs, but it said dual channel ram... 2x4GB.

EDIT: The specs are not clear, but I'm thinking single now too.

Alex - how many sticks of ram are in your PC?

I think I have 2 sticks of ram, one 2gb and 1 4gb but I could be wrong

Im just wondering if i can just push the budget some, what could I do to get some ridiculous FPS but still maintaining Extremely high quality on games like bf3 ?
I mean if possible im not expecting a 1,000 budget or something but you guys seem to know what your doing ?

You'll be shocked at how well the 6800K and 970 will perform together.

Definitely get either 2x4GB or 2x8GB out of my links then. It'll improve performance a LOT if the sticks are mismatched.

The specs allude to 8GB. So if you have two sticks, its 2x4GB...but you need to find out for sure. This could save you a lot of money if you dont have to buy ram.

Post screenshots of CPUz Memory and SPD tab please...

ATM - if he has 2x4GB 1600Mhz why are we suggesting new?

hmmm so how do I mismatch
Do i literally just get 2 different amounts of memory or is it a lot different
If someone could get everything we have come across throughout this thread and just give me the best of everything and what works that will be great because Im baffled xD

Back