• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Id get a 4690K... no dual cores for a gaming machine these days... no way.

I like that, but he already has 8GB 1600Mhz in dual channel. No point in buying faster since he isn't using the iGPU with his 970.

Well with an over clock it would be fine. I'd honestly just leave the A8 myself its not going to be a major limiting factor as a CPU. I'd just go power supply, GTX 980

The specs allude to 8GB. So if you have two sticks, its 2x4GB...

ATM - if he has 2x4GB 1600Mhz why are we suggesting new?

Because I highly doubt an OEM system has multiple sticks for 8GB.
And even so, a lot of games are putting me well into the 8+ GB range these days.
I think I was using 12GB while running Ryse: Son of Rome this weekend.

Well with an over clock it would be fine. I'd honestly just leave the A8 myself its not going to be a major limiting factor as a CPU. I'd just go power supply, GTX 980

I see no reason to spend the extra ~$200 for a 980 over a 970 when running 1080p...

hmmm so how do I mismatch
Do i literally just get 2 different amounts of memory or is it a lot different
If someone could get everything we have come across throughout this thread and just give me the best of everything and what works that will be great because Im baffled xD
Just listen for a second... how many sticks of ram are in your PC? Don't guess. LOOK. :)

Along with that, DL and install a small program called CPUz, and post screenshots of the memory and SPD tabs please.

You don't get it... CORES, not speed friend. There are games out that will not run on a dual core, period.

Because I highly doubt an OEM system has multiple sticks for 8GB.
And even so, a lot of games are putting me well into the 8+ GB range these days.
I think I was using 12GB while running Ryse: Son of Rome this weekend.
I see where you are going, but its best to confirm before spending $100+ of someone elses jack when we may not have to, no?

Ryse: SOR would likely be a one off, but OK. :)

okay thanks for everyone's help
If its not too much trouble because I feel ive abused your guys knowledge way too much but could you put a picture of the basket or some links to the products you are mentioning Jinx ?
Thanks alot

He did post a picture (post #10), but nobody would go with a dual core CPU these days for a gaming PC. I like his build outside of the dual core CPU and the 980. No need for a 980 at 1080p. ATM has built you a great upgrade for your current rig. Outside of you figuring out your ram situation, I would go with that.

ok
thanks earthdog it appears your the only one on this thread that speaks my type of language xD
cheers

Just listen for a second... how many sticks of ram are in your PC? Don't guess. LOOK. :)

Along with that, DL and install a small program called CPUz, and post screenshots of the memory and SPD tabs please.

You don't get it... CORES, not speed friend. There are games out that will not run on a dual core, period.

I see where you are going, but its best to confirm before spending $100+ of someone elses jack when we may not have to, no?

Ryse: SOR would likely be a one off, but OK. :)

This is all observed full-system usage:
Shadow of Mordor lands around 9-10GB, Lords of the Fallen hits about the same, AC4 and Unity used 10GB pretty easily, Far Cry 4 was in that same 9-10GB range

Dying Light is topping out around 9GB from what I've read

8GB is getting a bit too close to the edge for me now.

We all speak your language, we all would just do things different at times. We each have reasons why we would choose each hardware.

Just figure out the ram thing as we said and report back. That way we know if you need to buy it or not and can adjust the builds accordingly.

It is mix and matched... 2gb/4gb = 6gb. So I would get at least 8GB. Since you can afford 16GB, might as well.

Yep, definitely ditch that as EarthDog said.
That 16GB kit in my second link will serve you well :thup:

Could prolly sell that Hp in a yard sale or something to make up for some of the upgrade cost. Could prolly get like $50-$100, not sure what that equals out to in euros.

Could prolly sell that Hp in a yard sale or something to make up for some of the upgrade cost. Could prolly get like $50-$100, not sure what that equals out to in euros.

He's upgrading the HP...

With $900 USD + selling his current PC... thats a new rig, period... and a better one at that. If he wants to stay around the bottom end of his budget, then he has no choice but to upgrade since there are few carry over parts.

What did I miss? OP needs a new board, CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM and case, correct? Might as well spend the $50 and get a new drive too, slap it all together and sell the old HP for the cost of a copy of Windows... Just my oppinion.

What did I miss? OP needs a new board, CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM and case, correct? Might as well spend the $50 and get a new drive too, slap it all together and sell the old HP for the cost of a copy of Windows... Just my oppinion.

He's planning to buy CPU, GPU, RAM, and PSU right now.

If he's going to build completely new he'll be looking at a decent bit more money because he'd need mobo, HDD, case, and Windows.
That's way more than the HP would go for.

Back