• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some opinions on my cpu problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenocidaL

Registered
Hello eveyone my name is mike, Im kind of in a block right now not knowing what to do about cooling my pc as well as my prescott as well so ive decided to come ask about any suggestions that maybe I can compare to the suggestions ive already gotten from other people. I play Counter Strike source and we all know how much of the processor , etc it needs.Im running a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 Prescott Processor / LGA 775 . There are many things that worry me as well because I mean I just bought everything recently and assembled it without no problems. These are my full computer specs before I continue cause im assuming most of you are like well the the hell are you running.

Intel Penitum 4 | LGA 775 | 2.8 GHZ | Prescott | Stock Fan
ASUS Nvidia GeForce 6600 w/ Omega Drivers
160 GB SATA HD

ASUS [P5GD1] Motherboard http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5gd1/overview.htm

1 GIG RAM (2x512)| CORSAIR Select
480 Watt Power Supply

----------------------------------------------------
My case is a Logysis Phantom Case as shown below in the following link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811148006

As you can see by the pictures there is :
2 - 120mm Fan Openings (I only have 1 120mm Fan which came stock with chassis and is located on top in back of chassis (Blowing air OUT), The other 120 I dont have a fan there)
1 - 80mm Fan Opening On acrylic (I only have 1-80mm fan which came stock with the chassis)

----------------------------------------------------

Now here is my main problem. Heat, When I play counter strike source I get alot of gitterness and feeling like im being dragged, Ive tryed all my settings putting it on low, nothing helps, i still get the same gitterness. So then i downloaded the omega drivers and still same ol stuff. Its effecting me in pretty much everythin movement etc. Now heres the other problem. My idle temps on my cpu from monitoring my ASUSPROBE is about 42-45 Idle and my MB is about the same if anythin alittle lower like 39c not that much of a big difference. When I run CS:S, my temp for my cpu jumps to about 55 C constant and even sometimes higher to the point where my ASUSPROBE warns me about it going higher then the threshold i have it set to max which is about 55-60C the temps are about the same for my MB temp. Now I know these temps arent that accurate if anythin they are about 10c higher so im not even sure if thats really the temp but over all Im not sure if thats the case that might be effecting me gaming wise casue everythin else my pc is good, when i watch a movie or somethin or a video, my temp may go up by like 4C thats about the most it does, its only for gaming where I run into the problems with temp and its like I cant even play the game. Right now Im not sure what to do, My friend who knows knowledge about pc's is alitle more then mine gave me some options and opinions that i can do and those options/opinions dont really help that much. He told me I can either get a XP 120 (w/ 120 mm fan, a good one) to replace the Stock fan of the pent 4, with Artic Silver 5 and get another 120 mm fan for the empty 120 slot i have (blowing air in) and replace the 80mm with a higher better one rather then the cheap one i have in there right now which as well is atm blowing air in as well. Then he was like "if you get all that, install it , everythin properly and your temps are still the same theres really nothing you can do, not even watercooling would work" I dont know what to do at this point im back and forth daily now trying to find out exactly what i can do to make my temps go down which im thinking is what is effecting my gaming as well and might be causing the gitterness, no smoothness, etc. I mean i even have a air conditioner running at lowest freezing cold in my room i have to put on socks and sweats on and still when i play my games even with my side door chassis off, still runs at 50-55c. I dont know what to do, and im afraid to even play my games cause i dont want my cpu to toast up and there goes the money and savings i have to save to build it. Right now at this point im afraid and confused and dazed about what to do with so many opinions and so many things being told for me to make it good ive decided to start posting in forums and hear what anyone has to suggest. Im asking for anyones help at this point cause at this point Im just not sure about what to do. :shrug:, What i really want to do is get my temps LOW and idle/load LOW and never even see 40+ ever again idle nor load, I would like to be able to play Counter Strike source without gitterness, nice and smooth, no problems, I dont even care if my pc is loud as well with fans that wont phase me I would just like to be able to play games without have the fear of anythin happening which as well if effecting me mentally as well when i play, Im worried about my pc and my cpu rather then the guy im trying to shoot cause its like at the heat of the moment your like **** dont ****ing gitter on me please while your shooting then you feel the gitterness and you die and its like everytime, and all I am left to do is say WTF CAN I DO TO STOP THIS CRAP, Ive done everythin i could, mess about with all the settings, even console settings, etc. Still same thing. can someone please help me im pretty much on my knees right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

During this whole session my temps are about 45C for cpu and 41C for my MB, and my chassis is open and my air conditioner is on lowest temp on HIGH, so I dont know thats wrong with that picture lol. :shrug:

I'd recommend changing the stock HSF to something better.

If you want a heatsink that both high performance and low noise take a look at the ThermalTake Big Typhoon. Since you're not running something on the socket A platform weight ought not to be an issue.

If you just want something quiet that performs better than the stock HSF then take a look at either the Zalman 7700 or the Artic Cooling Freezer 7.

If you're just looking for the highest performing thing out there then try matching up a Thermalright XP-90C with something ridiculous like a 120CFM 92mm can. Just keep in mind that the noise level will be rather high.

My recommendation goes to the first option, the TT Big Typhoon as it offer the best of both worlds, performance and relative silence.

Don't forget to only use either Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal paste.

As for your case fans, make sure you have at least one fan sucking air into the case and one fan blowing air out. Try to make sure each fan pushes at least 30CFM of air for good cooling results.

Good luck. ;o)

ok i was thinking about changing my gpu processor fan on my video card, so I was curious if you can use arctic silver 5 on the gpu?

and why not the xp 120 instead of the xp 90c? I know copper handles heat better but still.

GenocidaL said:
ok i was thinking about changing my gpu processor fan on my video card, so I was curious if you can use arctic silver 5 on the gpu?

and why not the xp 120 instead of the xp 90c? I know copper handles heat better but still.

The only reason to use the XP-120 is to use a quieter 12cm fan. It doesn't actually cool any better than the XP-90C.

Yes, you can definitely use AS5 on the GPU. The same sort of thin layer should be used as with your CPU.

oh ok, so basicallythey are practically the same? but why if i may ask i mean i know copper is better for heat but is it really that equal

I don't actually know why. I'd suggest checking out the reviews out there. From what I've seen the XP-90C is the best heatsink out there performance wise (depends on fan choice of course)

nope, i cnat for some reason, one of the retention push pins didnt go in correctly which is prob why the temps are high cause the block isnt prob directly flat on the chip, so its like not even pushed in, like its pushed in but not turned or anythin so its like dangling the pin you can even hear it when the rpm on the fam increases you hear the pin shaking and making a little irritating sound. thats why if i get the xp 90c and i cant get that **** out im taking the board out and cutting that plastic push pin if worse comes to worse and i cant take the pin out.

I'd try fixing your existing HSF first and see how this goes before spending extra $ if that's the case

If you want to cool your Videocard, Get the Zalman VF-700cu as I use it and it rocks. As for the CPU, The XP90c is second to none and when you pair it up with a nice Panaflo, you have overclocking bliss. I am personally using a Zalman CNPS-7000cu and look where I got my northwood.

-1cem4n

I too am using a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu on my Athlon XP 2500+. I can achieve a stable overclock from 1.85GHz to 2.4GHz with it running 1.85V through the CPU.

Any one of the heatsinks mentioned in this thread will leave your existing heatsink for dead. I still recommend the Big Typhoon as the best choice for a high performance heatsink with low noise.

ok i might consider upgrading my video card, just if worse comes to worst and everythin i do does not work, its either between a Geforce 6800GT or ATI x800, now im a nvidia fan, but ive seen ati graphics and they are sick but nvidia is better, now im prob most likely goign to buy a nvidia just dont know which one because i mean these cards go for about 300 to about 400 bucks, and im not prepared to pay that much , so what is a good company for Nvidia card boards and which would be preferable 6800 or a 6800 GT? becuase to me its only about the clock speed thats 10x higher but still is it really that nessasary for at least the game i play which is counter strike source which is what im thinking is where the gitterness comes into play because i have a 6600 itsn ot ven a gt.

Last edited:
If your describing artifacting its more probable that it is the video card and not the CPU. Get a new HSF for your video card that properly cools the RAM and the GPU core. To test this, turn on cool bits and underclock your video card and then play a game to see if it disappears (3/4 speed, if that doesn't help half speed)

Back