• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some seti help fast.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CJ145

This is my first time in the seti forum. I usualy do the other dc project but one computer wasen't fast enough so I am running seti on it. I need to figure out how to send a work unit with out reciving a new one because I am swhiching versions. I have registered to this team and my seti name is the same as my forum name.

Welcome to the team...what do you mean by switching versions? Are you switching from screensaver to client...if so the client will run much faster. I'm not sure how to send w/o receiving a unit but if you want to switch then it's not a problem to lose an uncrunched WU. The same WU gets crunched by multiple users to verify data integrity and if you dont send in the crunched WU then it goes back into the "pool" of available units (after 60 days I think...not exactly sure)

Welcome - glad to have you on both teams. At the command line use the following switch "-stop_after_xfer" That will send the work unit when done and quit afterwards.

You are switching from the screensaver to the command line client (clc) right? Don't worry about the WU that would be downloaded. You can do the following:

After uploading hte results / downloading the next WU, you just quit the screensaver and turn it off.....go the folder you have the screensaver installed and copy to a temporal folder all the .sah you find. Install the clc with SETIDriver and SETISpy executables. Copy to this folder all the sah files and you have transfered the WU from the screensaver to the clc. If done with an already started WU, the progress will be lost, but you keep the WU alive.

Even if you loose the WU there is nothing to worry about it, as the same WU is distributed to several people to ensure that at least some of them return it, so berkeley can check for repeatable spikes and consistency of all the data.

I should have sent in one with the screensaver. I am trying to swhich over to the programs in the thread but I click transmit, the dos window comes up, I type 2 then my email address and it gives me a message that says that it coulden't reach the server or what ever it says. So I can't get it running. I am also on IRC in #ocsetiteam too. I think I can say this channel because it is official right?

sorry I said the wrong error message it is still hapening. Here is the copy paste of the dos program.

Welcome to SETI@home.
We use your email address to identify you.
Please type:
1 to set up a new account (first-time users);
2 to log into an existing account (returning users).
Your choice (1 or 2): 2
Email address: [email protected]
Can't create network socket
If you need help or have questions,
please check the FAQ at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu.
Please type:
1 to set up a new account (first-time users);
2 to log into an existing account (returning users).
Your choice (1 or 2):

Seesm that the problem is your network, not berkeley's.....see if you can access the 'Net over that PC.....the other one is check the e-mail address, maybe you logged with another one into SETI@home.

I'm on this computer now. if it helps I'm using AOL and Windows 95. I am sure that I used my email when I registered.

Thanks for all your help the computer is in pieces right now because I am puting it in an old cabnet it has slots that go like this ||||| so I can put more computers in it and it also has other storage places in it. I think I'll be able to fit another 10 computeres in it if I ever get them.

cjreis said:
Thanks for all your help the computer is in pieces right now because I am puting it in an old cabnet it has slots that go like this ||||| so I can put more computers in it and it also has other storage places in it. I think I'll be able to fit another 10 computeres in it if I ever get them.
great!! another "Farmer" had borned!!! :D :beer:

Any computer that I get 200mhz or under (after overclock) will seti any other computers will be in the other DC project because that is my main one. I should be finishing the cabnet today. :)

Okay the computer is up and running with 16 work units in queue. It says that the units are going to take 1day and 6.5 hours. The screen saver I ran before took over two days to complete one unit. Why do they even have the screensaver?

Back