• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to pick your brain about your memory experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mepis

I have been out of overclocking for a little while now since I got rid of my old athlon xp and got my socket 754 sempron 2600+ but now that little bug is taking me over again.

I just recently posted a couple times in a thread refering to my exact same motherboard I used and noticed everyone in the thread was able to OC well above what I could do so I did some diggin around in my system. I had a couple sticks of spektek pc 2700 in my system and it's always been able to handle any timing I throw at it stable but never OCed well. I noticed it was produced in week 34 of 03 so I wondered if it was an early set of pc 2700 and thus not able to run high speeds well. So I took out all my ram and put in a 256 meg stick of kingston value ram and another 256 meg stick of kbyte ram I had laying around. The kingston is ddr 400 and the kbyte is ddr 333.

Anyway now I am able to OC the computer to 265 fsb from 200 with an HTT of 3 and my ram timings at 2.5-3-3-7, the stock timings. This currently appears to be my wall for the moment. Wheather I change the timings or HTT or what not I can not get past 265 stable. But heres the kicker, I can get all the way to 310 mhz before the machine stops posting and 290 before windows stops loading and from my experience these are good signs Imy chip can go a lot higher.

Now I cant change my core voltage yet or anything because my 2600+ doesnt support cool n' quiet (but it does have the 64 bit extensions, very weird IMO.) I believe I can still get higher on the FSB without buying a new chip and upping the core voltage yet (this is planned for a month from now.) I believe it is my kbyte stick holding me back and was going to go to a local computer store and get a stick of kingston value ram for $55 for a 512 meg stick and try this again.

Now I would love to get something like ballistix or xpert or something more high end but no stores carry them around us for a descent price and I currently do not have the ability to order anything online. Circuit city wasnt $140? I think I saw last night for a 256 meg stick and my local private run computer store has some ballistix but it's still like $70 for a 256 meg stick.

So my ultimate question is would it be worth spending the $55 for a 512 meg stick to attempt to OC higher (leaving out the fact that I need more ram now anyway) and would a stick of kingston valueram ddr 400 be able to puch me up those few extra mhz over thet kbyte stick currently have?

By the way system specs:
Sempron 2600+ with a64 extensions
Asus k8n motherboard
Geforce fx 5500 (dont worry, i will soon be leaving me)
maxtor 160 gig drive
dvdr
cdr
curently 1 pc 2700 kbyte and 1 pc 3200 kingston valueram

Im not able to look in the classifieds yet and I dont want to spam my way to one hundred posts to ge there so thats not an option right now either.

Back