• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I/O error status of 0xc000009d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

I would really appreciate your help here. As you may or may not know, I've been suffering from random restarts

Yesterday and today, however, I have had no random restarting issues. It's been rock solid for 2 days. Today while multitasking moderately (see system specs, may be low-moderate compared to what it can do) I went and tried to open C:/ in windows explorer and...

null_zps7c7dea9d.jpg

At first the system seemed to freeze, I control alt deleted and it said it failed to open so I clicked okay, it was a black screen for a while, then it appeared to unfreeze, but with the above error. Over and over, I would click okay and Explorer.exe would try to reopen, and it would happen again, cyclically. Eventually I just hard restarted and now the computer seems to be fine again. What could possibly be the issue and could it be related to my random restarts? Is this a virus? (I would hope it would be a virus rather than something wrong with my HDD or RAM, which, mind you, both passed WD's Diagnostic SMART tests and Memtest86.)

Thanks in advance...

Check the SATA cables, replace them if necessary, and run chkdsk on the disks.

I moved my main OS drives sata cable from a red SATA III port to a black SATA II and the problems stopped completely and utterly.

Excuse me while I go bang on EVGA's door with my shotgun =P

Why were you using those SATA III ports anyway?

If they're not provided by the chipset (Intel/AMD), they are not for boot drives. They're just a marketing point ("Hey! This board has faster SATA! Go buy it!").

Car analogy:

Would you rather use a car guaranteed to work, that was always fixed by your local, trusted, mechanic with over 20 years experience, but that only supported 100kmph or would you use a car, advertised as a 300kmph car, that was never, ever repaired by anyone but your local Jiffy Lube?

Last edited:
Why were you using those SATA III ports anyway?

If they're not provided by the chipset (Intel/AMD), they are not for boot drives. They're just a marketing point ("Hey! This board has faster SATA! Go buy it!").

Car analogy:

Would you rather use a car guaranteed to work, that was always fixed by your local, trusted, mechanic with over 20 years experience, but that only supported 100kmph or would you use a car, advertised as a 300kmph car, that was never, ever repaired by anyone but your local Jiffy Lube?

Because it was the only open one, my original problem ( the random restarting) I believe was caused by a faulty Rosewill SATA III cable. I bought about 5 of them at once because they were really cheap each and figured it couldn't hurt to have such short cables because the SATA ports on my SR-2 are really close to were the HDDs are, therefore making it easier to wire manage.

Hearing that a faulty sata cable could cause my restarting issue I switched out the SATA III Rosewill cable with a much longer one (not sure what SATA it is) that came with my SR-2, and moved it back to a black SATA II slot, and now it's fine. What I believe happened is I solved one problem by changing out the faulty cable (I haven't had a random restart since I removed the problem Rosewill cable) and created another by plugging it into the SATA III port. By moving it back to the SATA II port, I solved the problem I unknowingly created while trying to solve a different problem.

Sigh, computers. I understand why people like tablets and consoles so much =P...
Hopefully everything is fine now. My HDD passed WD's Extended test, so it really is NOT the HDD and I'm buying a Dr Power II (that will be useful for later anyway) to test the PSU.
The SATA III ports are not provided by the chipset they're provided by a dedicated secondary SATA chip, the black SATA II's are provided by a Marvell chip. You're car analogy is perfect. Interesting though, does this mean I can never use an SSD with this board? I've heard the SATA III chip is one of it's downfalls as it maxes at around 400 mb/s read/write on SSDs that can go much higher. Did not know it would cause I/O errors. Perhaps it needs a driver update? Haven't found anything on EVGA's site about it.

Bah.

Because it was the only open one, my original problem ( the random restarting) I believe was caused by a faulty Rosewill SATA III cable. I bought aboutonce because they were really cheap each and figured it couldn't hurt to have such short cables because the SATA ports on my SRto were the HDDs are, therefore making it easier to wire manage.

Hearing that a faulty sata cable could cause my restarting issue I switched out the SATA III Rosewill cable with a much longer one (not sure what SATA it is) that came with my SR-2, and moved it back to a black SATA II slot, and now it's fine. What I believe happened is I solved out the faulty cable (I haven't had a random restart since I removed the problem Rosewill cable) and created another by plugging it into the SATA III port. By moving it back to the SATA II port, I solved the problem I unknowingly created while trying to solve a different problem.

Sigh, computers. I understand why people like tablets and consoles so much =P...
Hopefully everything is fine now. My HDD passed WD's Extended test, so it really is NOT the HDD and I'm buying a Dr Power II (that will be useful for later anyway) to test the PSU.
The SATA III ports are not provided by the chipset they're provided by a dedicated secondary SATA chip, the black SATA II's are provided by a Marvell chip. You're car analogy is perfect. Interesting though, does this mean I can never use an SSD with this board? I've heard the SATA III chip is 's downfalls as it maxes at aroundwrite on SSDs that can go much higher. Did not know it would cause I/O errors. Perhaps it needs a driver update? Haven't found anything on EVGA's site about it.

Bah.

Go to your local electronics store and grab a DMM. Way more useful than a Dr.Power, and way more accurate.

You can use an SSD with that board, SATA is backwards compatible, remember. And, unless you start benching SSDs, you will not really notice the difference between a SATA-II and a SATA-III. Boot times would be ridiculously fast with both. It is not sequential reading and writing what actually interests you, it's the flat access times and huge IOPS what benefit you.

For boot drives, use the chipset one always. In fact, try not to use the extra ports provided by a Marvell or similar chipset at all. They are not bad, but they are not good either.

Yeah I just looked it up turns out the SATA II ones are all chipset and only the SATA III are Marvell, and that's what was causing the problem. Humm.

The more you know.

Are there any chipset SATA III motherboards around?

Current generation sports SATA III on all the motherboards. Haswell will also use SATA III.

Noted, thx, so in the current gen there are no seperate SATA controllers?

Back