• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I officially love water. alot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if u have the 6800GT cooler i think u have, the ram sink part can separate from the core heatsink. You will probably need to file down the fins where the water block barbs are, but it will be easy to mount and is rather effective. Just a warning, there is a heatpipe in there, so dont file to fast as to file the pipe open.

I think BGA's runing at the stock speed of 6800GT require a sink.

Jimbob7 said:
Card is fine, i've had plently of lock ups from to high overclock on my cards. Did you get a really wierd sound from the speakers? That tends to make it seem really bad heh.

did you get no video for over 4 hours afterwards then randomly it start working again, even after the card was cooled?

Try reseating it in your pci-e slot. Also, check that no water got in there and corroded the pins.

You may want to check how well the waterblock is contacting the core, as well. It may be angled slightly and not making sufficient contact to cool the card under load.

kswaid said:
Try reseating it in your pci-e slot. Also, check that no water got in there and corroded the pins.

You may want to check how well the waterblock is contacting the core, as well. It may be angled slightly and not making sufficient contact to cool the card under load.

nope all straight, when I lost video, I ended up switching out 2 different cards, none of which worked either

then after a random period of time it eventually started working again

no leaks, no fluid or corrosion, just wouldn't post video.

cables are good, monitor's good (tested both on my other rig)

I'm at a loss, it seems to be working now, at stock clocks, but I didn't buy water to run it at stock clocks. :/

I need a good choice of ram sink so I can get it sinked up and see if it's the memory overheating on the card that's causing it to lock up.

Just for a quick tester regarding the video ram....

See if you have any spare case fans and come up with a temporary rig to have them blow directly onto the video ram. Not something permanent of course but just something to get additional cooling across the ram. Since the factory cooling was removed you have most probably lost a fair amount of nearly direct airflow across the video ram and that *may* be the culprit.

I would suggest a highly technical solution - tape - for the temporary test. Make sure the fan is far enough from the video ram that the fans 'dead spot' doesnt come into play. Simply attach tape to the 4 corners of the fan and run them up to the top of the case to temporarily hold the fan. Plug that sucker in and let it rip.

If that turns out to be the case then you will probably need to come up with some format for making sure you have airflow across that card even after you attach heatsinks.

MasterCraft said:
I need a good choice of ram sink so I can get it sinked up and see if it's the memory overheating on the card that's causing it to lock up.

Video ram sinks

Ordered my apogee on Tuesday morning, got it Wednesday afternoon via USPS Priority Mail 2~3 day processing. My last few purchases have been from them and they ship same day.. my notice that they processed my order and mailed it all came within hours. Great service!

MasterCraft said:
nope all straight, when I lost video, I ended up switching out 2 different cards, none of which worked either

then after a random period of time it eventually started working again

no leaks, no fluid or corrosion, just wouldn't post video.

I don't know, if you tried seperate cards and there still wasn't video, it really seems to me like it's probably not the cards fault. I'm just hoping that it's not something that will cost you more money. You might want to look into seeing if that spill of water did anything to the mobo :shrug:. I just don't know.

Good luck to getting it running and OC'ing that thing like crazy! Cheers :beer:

Burdman27911 said:
I don't know, if you tried seperate cards and there still wasn't video, it really seems to me like it's probably not the cards fault. I'm just hoping that it's not something that will cost you more money. You might want to look into seeing if that spill of water did anything to the mobo :shrug:. I just don't know.

Good luck to getting it running and OC'ing that thing like crazy! Cheers :beer:

the card is working now, I think it may have been the OC so soon that caused it, don't really know yet. Card temps are good, but with no ramsinks of any kind on the VGA, doesn't surprise me it crashed.

When I get the sinks and get them on, as well as fix the loop in my setup and etc, we'll see how it performs under an OC.

:)

Back