• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I overclocked my 950 to 4 GHZ... Comments needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

(Sorry meant 4Ghz)

XXXX.jpg

xxxxxxxxx-1.jpg

Prime 95 'max cpu heat' test after 15 mins only high 60s!!

Issue: 1024K length DID NOT complete on one of the threads. See above.

Overclock settings used were :

Asus RampageIII Formula
Extreme Tweaker
Target CPU Frequency...............: 4.0GHz
Target Dram Frequency.............: 1523Mhz
LN2 Mode
QPI Load Line Calibration
OC from CPU Level Up...................:Auto
CPU Ratio setting..........................: x21
CPU Turbo Power Limit..................:Enab.
<CPU Configuration Sub Menu>
CPU Ratio setting..........................:x21
C1E Support.................................:Disab
Hardware Prefetcher.....................:Enab.
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch.........:Enab.
MPS and ACPI MADT Ordering.........:Modern
Intel(r) Virtualization Tech...............:Enab.
CPU TM Function.............................:Disab.
Execute Disable Bit..........................:Enab.
Intel(r) HT Technology.....................:Enab.
Active Processor Cores.....................:All
A20M..............................................:Disab.
Intel(r) Speedstep(TM) Tech.............:Disab.
Intel(r) C State Tech*.......................:Disab.
*C State package limit setting............:N/A
*C1 Auto Demotion...........................:N/A
*C3 Auto Demotion...........................:N/A
Dram Frequency.................................:1523
UCLK Frequency..................................:3237
QPI Link Data Rate...............................:6857
Memory Configuration Protect...............:Disab.
<Dram Timing Configuration Sub Menu>
1st Information
CAS# Latency (tCL).........................:7
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD).............:7
RAS# PRE Time (tRP)......................:7
RAS# ACT Time (tRAS)....................:19
RAS# TO RAS# Delay.......................:4
Ref Cycle Time.................................:60
Write Recovery Time.........................:8
Read to Pre Time..............................:7
Four Act Win Time.............................:Auto,
Back to Back Cas# Delay.....................:Auto,
2nd Information
Timing Mode......................................:1N
Round trip Latency Channel A...............:Auto,
Round trip Latency Channel B................:Auto,
Round trip Latency Channel C................:Auto.
3rd Information
Write to Read Delay (DD).......................:Auto.
Write to Read Delay (DR).......................:Auto.
Write to Read Delay (SR).......................:Auto.
Read to Write Delay (DD)........................:Auto.
Read to Write Delay (DR)........................:Auto.
Read to Write Delay (SR)........................:Auto.
Read to Read Delay (DD).........................:Auto.
Read to Read Delay (DS).........................:Auto.
Read to Read Delay (SR).........................:Auto.
Write to Write Delay (DD)........................:Auto.
Write to Write Delay (DR).........................:Auto.
Write to Write Delay (SR)..........................:Auto.

Extreme Tweaker (Continued)
CPU Differential amplitude..........................:700
CPU Clock Skew.........................................:normal
IOH Clock Skew..........................................:Normal.
Extreme Engine Digi+
Digi+ Power Mode.......................................:t-balance
PWM Voltage Control...................................:Auto
Load-Line Calibration...................................:0%
CPU Voltage OCP.........................................:Enab.
CPU PWM Frequency....................................:Auto.
Extreme OV.................................................:Disab.
Extreme OC.................................................:Auto.
CPU Voltage.................................................:1.325v
CPU PLL Voltage............................................:1.802v
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage.................................:1.28125
DRAM BUS Voltage.........................................:1.590
<Dram Reference Voltage Sub Menu>
DRAM DATA Ref. Ch.A.....................................:Auto.
DRAM CTRL Ref. Ch.A......................................:Auto.
DRAM DATA Ref. Ch.B......................................:Auto.
DRAM CTRL Ref. Ch.B.......................................:Auto.
DRAM DATA Ref. Ch.C.......................................:Auto.
DRAMAuto. CTRL Ref. Ch.C................................:Auto.
Extreme Tweaker (Continued)
IOH Voltage......................................................:1.15275v
IOH PCIE Voltage...............................................:1.5105v
ICH Voltage.......................................................:1.113v
ICH PCIE Voltage................................................:1.5105v
CPU Spread Spectrum.........................................:Disab.
PCIE Spread Spectrum.........................................:Disab.

I essentially copied this person's settings:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/revi...e-iii-formula-living-review-2.html#post100213

Only difference was I left my PCIE at 100MHZ and also I set the RAM settings to those for MY ram, not this guy's.

Feedback please. Cheers.

i7 950
ASUS Rampage 3 Formula
Mushkin 1600MHZ CL7 DDR3
Radeon 6870
Noctua NHD14
HX 850W corsair

pic.jpg

Last edited:
I did the "Blend test" in prime 95 and was able to get 3 hours out of it. Then I blue screened.. Max temp reached on CPU while doing blend test for 3 hours was about 63 so I need help tweaking here please.

what was the bsod error?

at first glance, dram volts should probably be at least 1.64 if not 1.65 (some bios complain about 1.65 though)

Also which thread didnt pass blend in first failure? if it was core0 i'd try disabling Turbo since it only affects core0. Also disable virtualization (its not needed)

temps seem awesome though.. d14 rockin it!

what was the bsod error?

at first glance, dram volts should probably be at least 1.64 if not 1.65 (some bios complain about 1.65 though)

Also which thread didnt pass blend in first failure? if it was core0 i'd try disabling Turbo since it only affects core0. Also disable virtualization (its not needed)

temps seem awesome though.. d14 rockin it!

Hi thank you for responding. The non-pass was one of two threads in core 2 (the third core. o,1,2,3). The other thread on that core passed.

I will disable virtualization tech.

I will also increase the RAM voltage to 1.64/65

EDIT: In my bios the only RAM voltage setting I see is DRAM BUS VOLTAGE. Is this what you want at 1.65?
Also when I disabled virtualization tech, windows 7x64 hangs! As soon as I boot in I have no I/O. Nothing will open. No KB/Mouse reaction. Even CTRL ALT DEL does nothing :(
I SEE my desktop but it's locked up and no control inputs will respond. I DO have mouse cursor movement. That's all :(

Sadly to answer your other Q I forgot to check what the BSOD failure was. Any idea how to find the DMP file in WIN 7? I'm new to it.

Thanks !

pic.jpg

Should my RAM be at 2T? How would I set that in this bios? Everything else look ok here? Can I get the RAM to 1600 using the other settings I have here? It's just shy as you can see.

Clearly I need a lot of help with this overclock as just copying this guys settings isn't really getting me there. I'm so exhausted from having just moved I can't think straight.
Still learning X58 architechture. Soon I'll get it like I get Core2... Soon...

Please help though. Love you guys. :p

And yes I am happy with these temps. Ambient room temp is 20C so getting 66C as a max load temp is nice. Especially after 3 hours.

Last edited:
Why are you messing with RAM timings already? I looked up both the 3x2gb Mushkin c7 ram kits and neither run at 7-7-7-19. If you have the blacklines, they run at 7-8-7-20 @ 1.65v. Id suggest setting it to its default speed and work on your overclock THEN worry about ram timings. See how it goes then :D

ANd with a 190 bclk, you can only hit 1520mhz. Thats why alot of people run 200x20 w/ 1600mhz ram (200x8 divider). And VT can be enabled, Ive never had an issue w/ it.

Why are you messing with RAM timings already? I looked up both the 3x2gb Mushkin c7 ram kits and neither run at 7-7-7-19. If you have the blacklines, they run at 7-8-7-20 @ 1.65v. Id suggest setting it to its default speed and work on your overclock THEN worry about ram timings. See how it goes then :D

ANd with a 190 bclk, you can only hit 1520mhz. Thats why alot of people run 200x20 w/ 1600mhz ram (200x8 divider). And VT can be enabled, Ive never had an issue w/ it.

Yes I have the Mushkin Blacklines. Again I'm new to DDR3 and X58 :chair: :bday::soda: so I'z a bit dopey hehehehe.

Thank you for that tip I will go see how 200x20 works and report back.
Ya the VT thing was odd. I have no need for it nor do I forsee one but my system becomes very angry at me if I disable it so it's on...

Can you please confirm that on this bios RAM voltage is referred to as "DRAM BUS VOLTAGE"?

:comp:

Yes, that is your RAM voltage. Set it to 1.65v (although some boards wont give that option, my old X58 I set to 1.66v).

Yes, that is your RAM voltage. Set it to 1.65v (although some boards wont give that option, my old X58 I set to 1.66v).

My board told me in big red letters SETTING VOLTAGE OVER 1.65 MAY PERMANENTLY DAMAGE CPU ACCORDING TO INTEL SPEC so I set it to 1.64... :rain:

YELLATME.jpg

Anyways,

I just attempted 200x20. Set Ram timings to auto. I noticed this forced my minimum QPI speed to like 8000ish so I tried giving it more juice but I just couldn't get it stable... I got one blend loop out of Prime95 and bluescreen

FAIL.jpg

Epic fail.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFF8800A798940
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

I'm back to 190x21 as before. I have the DRAM timings @ auto. Voltage is at 1.64. If you guys are totally sure its safe to go 1.65 I'll do it but my motherboard yelled at me with big red letters when I tried to set it :rofl:

Cheers again my friends.

I'm running P95 Blend as we speak and I got 3 hours stable out of it with way undervolted mis-timed ram last night so I imagine it should be solid now. If everyone is sure the timings and settings I've laid out in this thread are safe I'm happy at this performance level for the time being provided I can get a stable 6 hour blend run out of P95.

I imagine that if this P95 loops through stable, and 1.65V is safe for the ram, my next step is to find the CPU's lowest happy voltage so as to reduce heat output. Currently 1.35
Am I right?

As it stands max temp with P95 max heat test for CPU is 66 according to coretemp, which to my understanding is a good temp.

Once again happy holidays to all of you.

Last edited:
Let your ram TIMINGS auto for now, thats perfectly fine you just need to adjust the RAM DIVIDER. Set it to 2:8. Whether you are using 190 or 200 bclock, youll want your ram divider set at 2:8 (8x the bclock = ram speed. 190*8 = 1520, 200*8 = 1600 and so on).

And as long as you QPI voltage is within .5 of your DRam voltage, you can go above that 1.65v spec fairly safely if you wanted to OC your RAM.

Ok After about four hours BLEND didn't crash but it did become 'stuck' and have to be terminated. No blue screen, still logged onto that same session of windows. I'm going to put the voltage up from 1.64 to 1.65.....

Ram IS at 2:8

auto timings (9 9 9 24 60 1T 762Mhz 1.64V) I am going to 1.65. Will ensure it is within 0.5V of QPI voltage and report back.

OK. Ram is 1.65V QPI is 1.25V difference of 0.4V

Is this ok? Should I bump the QPI up for a safer margin?

Off to get takeout, will return.

Cheers!

No, 1.65 (1.64v is fine too) is fine as long as your QPI = 1.15v or more. .5v is the spec to keep it within. Some chips dont do well w/ the 20 multi, you may want to try 21 multi after you are done testing your settings w/ your ram at stock speeds.

or down the multi to 19 and run a bclock of 211 (should be right around 4ghz).. i found my chip runs much better at lower multis and higher clocks

211 though he might lose a bit of ram speed. If his ram wont OC, hell have to drop to 2:6 divider which means 1266mhz ram.

Good suggestion though if his ram can handle (with at c7, you should be able to atleast lower timings to c8 and get the OC on it).

try loosening the timings to 8-8-8-24-1t or 2t and try the 19x211 clock

I almost have the 21x190 down.. I think..

Interesting-- I had load line calibration disabled (options 0 50% 100% AUTO) I set it to AUTO. My load temps in full heat P95 increased four or five degrees!!

I'm going to turn it back off...

The battle continues... :salute:

load line calibration attempts to compensate for the drop in vcore voltage which many boards experience under load, therefore your cpu ends up having a slightly higher voltage under load (which is actually closer to what you set in the BIOS, and is sometimes is necessary for stability), and thus a higher heat output

yeah, load line calibration should be kept on for oc'ing.. the few degrees it adds is fine as long as you're still under 90c @ 100% load

Back