• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I am ready to order

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eeguy

Registered
Okay, I think I am ready to order.

Here is what is currently in the cart:

Corsair 550W
Core i5 750

$278.98 w/ shipping at ZZF

ASUS P7P55D & Gskill ddr3 1600 Ram

$209.98 w/ shipping at Newegg

Total: $488.96, and if the $30 corsair MIR comes through, $458.96

I am having the jitters ordering this system because of price and worries that parts will not be compatible (mainly this).

Here are the parts I am reusing:

Hard Drive - will hopefully be able to upgrade soon
DVD RW Drive
Case - Antec TX1050B
eVGA Geforce 7800 GT CO PCI Express 256MB GDDR3 Video Card I think it is this one.

I also have an Antec 500W sp-500 power supply that I would like to reuse, but am worried it will not be able to handle the new system (currently it is running Intel Pentium 4 660 3.6ghz just fine, along with the other parts I am reusing). If I did not have to purchase a new power supply I would probably upgrade the hard drive instead of buying the corsair power supply.

I had also originally thought of going with the $109.99 gigabyte micro atx p55 board but figured I would prefer the parts to be a little more spaced out for better airflow, assuming this is actually the case.

If anyone knows whether or not these parts are compatible, please let me know (I hope I've done my homework well, since I cannot find any problems).

Also, it is difficult for me to choose a motherboard, but Asus seems to be making pretty decent ones these days from what I've heard. If anyone has input on whether or not that is true it would be great, or if you could suggest a better one in the same price range or lower (I don't even mind going with Intel branded boards).

Other things you might need to know
- No hardcore gaming
- No overclocking

Thanks for any help and let me know if you need more info! Hoping to order tonight(ish).

P.S. Sorry for my crazy post.

P4 660 is a 115w chip, i5 is a 95w, if you don't OC either one you'll be drawing less power with the new setup. I don't think the 500w PSU would have a problem at all.

ull have no problems with that antec psu.... i5 and a 7800gt will draw nill on power.

i would have no problem sticking my antec earthwatts 430 on that comp with it running fully loaded 24/7

as far as a mobo, asus and gigabyte get my vote just depends on features and layout you want.

I pulled the trigger on i5 about 3 hours ago. Arrives in less than 12 now :)

I ordered the very cheapest 1156 board. It's a gigabyte one and i compared it to the next two cheapest gigabyte boards and the only difference was they have more sata connectors (like 10, which i wouldnt use). I say you've made a good choice and if you havent then we're both screwed lol!

Okay, it's been ordered, but with a few changes.

I went with the i5 750, 4GB Gskill DDR3 1600, and the Intel ATX Motherboard. I decided to put off a new power supply for the moment since it is still running the current system just fine.

Thanks for the help guys and/or gals!

Edit: Oh yeah, it is a gift for someone else, which is why everything is not being upgraded.

Last edited:
Back