• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I fried my board.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toran0x

Hey guys. Earlier today I picked up another SSD and was doing some cable re-routing. I did the re-routing and turned on my system - all was fine. Played some Diablo 3 - all good. Then I noticed my temps were up around 60-70 while playing D3 - at 2-5% CPU utilization. Usually my temps are around 35-40 while gaming - even overclocked. I went back to bios, reset everything and still, temps were about 10-15 degrees higher.

This is when I popped open my case and started checking cables .During the process I recall forgetting to flip the PSU switch and unplug before unplugging the CPU power cable (ATX 12v). After whispering "oh ****" to myself, I flipped the switch and plugged it back in. Tried to turn on my system and nothing. Not even a peep - no fans, no noise. I then tried to reseat a few cables, removed my memory - tried powering without it and with it again. Also tested my PSU - it's got the test button on it that slightly powers the fan to tell you if it's working. That worked, so guessing PSU is ok.

Did I fry my motherboard? :shock:

(I do not have a mobo speaker to check for beeps - ordered one that is arriving on Wed)

I'd be surprised if pulling the Atx 12v with the system off, even if the Psu power switch is on killed the setup. Try building it outside the case and see what happens.

I'd be surprised if pulling the Atx 12v with the system off, even if the Psu power switch is on killed the setup. Try building it outside the case and see what happens.

Thanks. What do you mean - build it outside the case? Remove everything from the mobo including cooler etc?

I would check to make sure you have the power connectors plugged in correctly, also the PSU is in the on position, check to see if the SSD that you connected is not a problem.

Thanks. What do you mean - build it outside the case? Remove everything from the mobo including cooler etc?
Remove the whole setup and build it outside the case or take it all apart and put it back together. Sounds more like either a short or something isn't plugged in.

I unplugged everything (drives, USB, etc) except the CPU, one memory stick, and power. Still nothing. I wish I had a clue what happened.

If it's not the mobo then it's either the power supply or the actual chassis case switch to power on (which would be odd). Ugh

I unplugged everything (drives, USB, etc) except the CPU, one memory stick, and power. Still nothing. I wish I had a clue what happened.

If it's not the mobo then it's either the power supply or the actual chassis case switch to power on (which would be odd). Ugh

Did you try setting it up outside the case, as suggested?

You can test the power button idea by shorting out the two power button pins with something, a flathead screwdriver usually works. Actually wonder why GB didn't add an onboard power button and small LED POST display like they did to my lower end board. Strange.

Another way to test the power supply is by multimeter, there's a guide here!.

Any chance you bumped a heatsink? Since you mentioned a rise in temps, I'm wondering if one of them isn't sitting right now and causing things to act up.

Well it's easy to test if it's the vandal switch on the case. Just short the Pwr Switch pin and ground by taking a metal object such as a knife and touch the pins quickly and remove it. You can also use a paper clip to see if the power supply will start up, remove all the Psu wires running to the motherboard follow this guide.

I would check to make sure you have the power connectors plugged in correctly, also the PSU is in the on position, check to see if the SSD that you connected is not a problem.

Thank you. Yes those were all checked multiple times.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try setting it up outside the case, as suggested?

You can test the power button idea by shorting out the two power button pins with something, a flathead screwdriver usually works. Actually wonder why GB didn't add an onboard power button and small LED POST display like they did to my lower end board. Strange.

Another way to test the power supply is by multimeter, there's a guide here!.

Any chance you bumped a heatsink? Since you mentioned a rise in temps, I'm wondering if one of them isn't sitting right now and causing things to act up.

Ok fully removed the mb with just mb power and cpu power connected, one stick of memory - tried the power pin trick but got nothing. Again, on my Corsair power supply there's a "fan test" button that is supposed to validate if the PSU is working correctly - and it still activates the fan in the PSU when I press it. So, I'm assuming my PSU is ok. What do you guys think? Dead mb?

I have a new motherboard coming tomorrow, so will be able to test that also (same exact model).

Last edited:
Well it's easy to test if it's the vandal switch on the case. Just short the Pwr Switch pin and ground by taking a metal object such as a knife and touch the pins quickly and remove it. You can also use a paper clip to see if the power supply will start up, remove all the Psu wires running to the motherboard follow this guide.

I haven't yet tried putting a paper clip in my PSU wire - honestly that makes me a bit nervous. If this is a PSU problem, it would have simply failed outright, which I find hard to believe is the case - I'm thinking mobo is more likely, but that could be oversimplified reasoning.

- - - Updated - - -

Remove the whole setup and build it outside the case or take it all apart and put it back together. Sounds more like either a short or something isn't plugged in.

Finally did this, btw. Update right above this comment. ^^

Just in case - and for testing purposes - new PSU coming today from Amazon. Just hope they let me return it if it ends up not being the culprit or I'll have a giant paperweight. ;)

Shorting the PSU will definitely tell you if it's it or not. You could have tripped the OCP in it or something else. It's quite easy to do. Just connect the one in green to any ONE of the ones in yellow. If it turns on it's likely fine.

24-pin.jpg

Shorting the PSU will definitely tell you if it's it or not. You could have tripped the OCP in it or something else. It's quite easy to do. Just connect the one in green to any ONE of the ones in yellow. If it turns on it's likely fine.

View attachment 175206

Will do. I'll try that later before I open the new PSU. Isn't doesn't turn on then I have a replacement ready.

Thanks guys for your help so far!! Freaking nightmare.

We all have them man. I had an SSD catch fire last night. It had been acting up the last few days then poof.

We all have them man. I had an SSD catch fire last night. It had been acting up the last few days then poof.

Holy crap how does an SSD get that hot?

Regarding the PSU short trick, I just want to make sure I'm completely clear on what to do. Grab a paperclip, plug in the ATX cable to the PSU, plug PSU into wall socket, flip PSU power switch, touch each end of paper clip to the wires you showed above. That correct?

The SSD burnt at the connection not inside.
Put the paper clip into the connector as shown, make sure you're holding it so the ATX hold down clip is toward you . The green one 4th from right is the power on signal so one end in it and the other into one of the adjacent ones marked in yellow. Then turn the power on. If you have a DMM you can check power outputs if you want to go that far but you should know whether it works or not as soon as you flip the switch.

Back