• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I fried my board.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The SSD burnt at the connection not inside.
Put the paper clip into the connector as shown, make sure you're holding it so the ATX hold down clip is toward you . The green one 4th from right is the power on signal so one end in it and the other into one of the adjacent ones marked in yellow. Then turn the power on. If you have a DMM you can check power outputs if you want to go that far but you should know whether it works or not as soon as you flip the switch.

I will be very happy if it's just the PSU and not the mobo. Not looking forward to cleaning, re-seating and re-applying thermal to the CPU on a new mobo. Then of course I will wonder how the hell I wrecked a brand new PSU.

I have one in RMA right now that just quit on me one day. It had me guessing for a long time since sometimes the board would start a bit but not fully. Took me all afternoon to trace it back to the PSU. Didn't help that I was testing motherboards that I thought were questionable to begin with.

Regarding the PSU, this time I went with the RM1000 instead of RM1000i bc of cost and same day shipping. Think it matters which? Here's the comparison. Seems that the RMi series stays a bit cooler under load. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/june/rm-rmi-hxi. Of course it won't matter if the existing PSU is fine, but still curious.

EDIT: Called Corsair. Really not much of a difference in the end. And they did suggest for the paper clip test to hook up a fan too.

Last edited:
Either way 1000w is total overkill for the setup. With one Gpu you could easily get away with a 650w Psu.

Ok fully removed the mb with just mb power and cpu power connected, one stick of memory

I am not absolutely positive about this, but I had a mobo that would not work until a drive was attached as well. It cant hurt anyway

Also make sure that your 1 ram stick is good (just precautionary) and make sure to try it in every slot, now that you have the system built outside of the case. I know it is redundant, but if there was a short from the mobo to the case then it makes sense to test again outside the case.

I have a quick anecdote that you can take FWIW. I had a finicky board that I bought used from a private seller with ram and cpu. When I got the board home and built the system I thought I had been burned because I couldnt get it to POST. Seemed dead as a doornail. I verified the cpu and ram with a different board and was even more sure the board was dead. So I took out the CMOS battery and put it away until I could deal with it. Months later I was about to toss the board and decided to give it one last college try. Wouldnt fire until I hooked up a HDD, but then worked like a champ for about a month or so. Damned board was so finicky that I had to reset the CMOS for every BSOD. I got sick of putting up with it when it quit firing again about a month later. I still have it and will give it another go someday :D The point of the story is -if you have the will to- let it sit over night with the battery out and give it another shot

I am not absolutely positive about this, but I had a mobo that would not work until a drive was attached as well. It cant hurt anyway

Also make sure that your 1 ram stick is good (just precautionary) and make sure to try it in every slot, now that you have the system built outside of the case. I know it is redundant, but if there was a short from the mobo to the case then it makes sense to test again outside the case.

I have a quick anecdote that you can take FWIW. I had a finicky board that I bought used from a private seller with ram and cpu. When I got the board home and built the system I thought I had been burned because I couldnt get it to POST. Seemed dead as a doornail. I verified the cpu and ram with a different board and was even more sure the board was dead. So I took out the CMOS battery and put it away until I could deal with it. Months later I was about to toss the board and decided to give it one last college try. Wouldnt fire until I hooked up a HDD, but then worked like a champ for about a month or so. Damned board was so finicky that I had to reset the CMOS for every BSOD. I got sick of putting up with it when it quit firing again about a month later. I still have it and will give it another go someday :D The point of the story is -if you have the will to- let it sit over night with the battery out and give it another shot

I will do this for sure - after I test the PSU to make sure that's not the problem first. :)

Just tested the PSU and it is fine. Even hooked up a fan to it and worked. Looks like the mobo crapped itself.

Next I will try removing the battery overnight and hooking everything back up again.

Omg you guys I have one stick of ram in and nothing else - powered it on and got a light on the mobo!

This is unreal. Part by part things are lighting up everytime I test! Vid card spun up and a few fans.

Last edited:
It's fully up and running now. Everything. Temps normal. It was dead completely last night and today it decides to wake up. I removed the battery for about 10 minutes before I did anything so perhaps that helped. No idea.

Wow glad it's working now, how is the gaming is it working ok?

Perfect. Testing now in Diablo 3 and temps are back down in the mid to upper 30s and that's with my 4.37 overclock. So, seems to be back to normal! What a scare. Still going to hang onto the extra mobo and PSU I ordered for a day or two just in case before I return to Amazon.

Was the motherboard that you were having trouble with the Gigabyte X99-Gaming 5P rev 1.0? What did you order for a replacement motherboard?

Yeah that was the one. Thing is, I really like the board. It's missing a few things like bios switch and on-board power switch, but overall it's a really great board. That's the one I was going to replace it with too.

Perfect. Testing now in Diablo 3 and temps are back down in the mid to upper 30s and that's with my 4.37 overclock. So, seems to be back to normal! What a scare. Still going to hang onto the extra mobo and PSU I ordered for a day or two just in case before I return to Amazon.

I guess its just the sheister in me , but I would consider selling the old stuff at a reduced rate and then getting brand new mobo and psu for cheap/free. Odds are there is nothing wrong with the board/psu you have, but odds are even better that the ones you got for replacement are brand new. Love that new pcb smell :)

It's fully up and running now. Everything. Temps normal. It was dead completely last night and today it decides to wake up. I removed the battery for about 10 minutes before I did anything so perhaps that helped. No idea.

You just cleared the CMOS the right way. Sometimes you have to leave it out overnight for the chip to discharge completely

what a great post. read it all many tricks from mandrake and johan i have tried. OP im glad your board is still alive. Sometimes our pcs just need to rest from all of our rigorous testing:clap:

what a great post. read it all many tricks from mandrake and johan i have tried. OP im glad your board is still alive. Sometimes our pcs just need to rest from all of our rigorous testing:clap:

Very true. Just funny after all that testing, all I needed to do was let it sit and maybe take the battery out. Instead I freaked out, took it all apart and ordered new components. LOL :screwy:

Those things happen man. At least you have some spare parts now. :rofl:

Back