• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think might try Intel.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is what I have decided to go with, if there is any way to improve this (without spending too much) let me know.

MOBO: GA-EP43-DS3L Intel P43 ATX
CPU: E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz
RAM: G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
HDD: Seagate ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB
Fan/Heatsink: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
Graphics: MSI NX8400GS-TD256EH GeForce 8400 GS

not sure on that ES drive but for the seagate 250gig the 410as is the drive to get... ES is not setup the same way like normal drives. by setup i mean the firmware is not the same on ES's as other models.
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/marketing/po_barracuda_es.pdf
after reading this doc it seems they did other stuff then just firmware changes. it may actually be better then the 410as but i can say that for sure. this would be the drive i suggest...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

not sure on that ES drive
There are bad reviews on the ES, but on the ES.2 there was almost none. What attracted me to that drive was its 32MB cache. I guess I'll go with a 16MB cache because saving $30 looks good, too.

either ram is fine really for ocing... on a 1:1 ratio with the 1200 you would need a 600mhz fsb which no one really hits. over 500 is more possible so maybe got with some 1066 ram, in the middle. the main reason i said the 4gig kit was well its 4gigs for $5 cheaper then that 2gig kit.

Oh, so DDR2 1000 would be adequate for oc'ing? I don't do gaming btw.
DDR 2 800 is the standard anything over that is cake for over clocking i have 1066 OCZ2N1066SR2GK specified to start up in my GIGABYTE at the rated speed so i did not have to over clock the memory to get it to run it's rated speed and i love it and i just got my rebate back so it cost me total $55 for 2 Gig

Motherboard manufactures don't have the money to test all memory types so some bios wont recognize some memory that you buy and default it to DDR2 800

What's better for oc'ing (2 X 2GB or 2 X 1GB) because I just read this:
Pros: run at stated speed, 1066mhz. I got window vista 64 and it recognize no problem. A good pair if you are looking for 4gig.

Cons: Very sensitive to over clock, it will cause problem if you try to go over it stock setting. I got a 680i sli mb and it does not overclock well with this one. Four gig is hard to overclock anyway.

Other Thoughts: If you want to over clock get 2 gig, four gig doesn't overclock well. I got vista 64 and I try to play crysis that is why I need four gig.

What's better for oc'ing (2 X 2GB or 2 X 1GB) because I just read this:

right now it doesnt matter, but your better off with higher rated ram. if the ram is rated for ddr2-1000 or higher in a 4gig kit it will run that speed.

take newegg reviews with a sea of salt.. he isnt giving you the whole story...

ok i just got my mobo, but there are no outputs on it for my monitor which is vga so i can't see anything when i boot, can i just stick the graphics card in and boot, doesn't it need....drivers?

right a stand-alone video card doesnt need drivers for "dos/bios" screen. only drivers are needed for correct operation in windows.

I put the graphics card in my mobo, it powers on, but it stays blank until my OS login screen comes up. So basically I see everything fine, but when I boot up the BIOS doesn't show.

Lol, but seriously. Nah it can't be that because I have to wait for it as if the splash screen is there, but I just can't see it.

i was serious but hardin is on the right track then. as some boards when booting up display a "abit" or EVGA splash screen. they say hit tab to show the bootup or something like that.

i cant see the post screen, its just blank for a while then, my os login screen comes up

Back