• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought the R600 was supose to kill 8800gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One of DAMMITS biggist problems was there before they even did the buyout. Intel and NV have multiple dev teams ant any given time. I know Intel has at least 3, so their architecture can change to a newer better one if need be, and I am sure one of them is probably better than what we have seen. But the others will continue to be developed untill necessary. NV didn't follow this path untill the 9xxx series, then they hired multiple dev teams. I would bet a million to a doughnut they have a fully functional architecture that is vastly different than that we see today under wraps. DAMMIT on the other hand has limited dev's and not enough funds to waste on dev teams that devote years and then admit it was a blunder. They need to get it right the first time all the time and it's killing them now. Watch when R600 is out and maybe even the r650. If it even remotely threatens NV they will whip out a new arch like a bunny out of a hat.

Jesus! I'm surrounded by a bunch of venture capitalists!

I knew it!

But if they screw up bad enough over the next couple of years there won't BE a long term. It's rare when dealing with companies of this magnitude I know... (How many times has IBM alledgedly gone out of business?) But these days, nobody really goes out of business anymore anyway. They just get bought out by somebody that seems to be doing a little better.

I don't see Intel or NVIDIA taking a gamble on buying AMD... they'd have nothing to gain...

IBM would though...

rainless said:
Jesus! I'm surrounded by a bunch of venture capitalists!

I knew it!

But if they screw up bad enough over the next couple of years there won't BE a long term. It's rare when dealing with companies of this magnitude I know... (How many times has IBM alledgedly gone out of business?) But these days, nobody really goes out of business anymore anyway. They just get bought out by somebody that seems to be doing a little better.

I don't see Intel or NVIDIA taking a gamble on buying AMD... they'd have nothing to gain...

IBM would though...

IBM would gain quiet a bit, mainly the x86 license. Surely IBM might help out but some how doubt they'd buy up AMD.

Having worked at IBM for a while and my Uncle was VP of opperations at the East Fishkill FAB where I worked I can say thet it would be a good fit as AMD and IBM have done quite a bit of work together and AMD does lease a large area of the fab for projects. IBM has some very good high tech stuff in development that AMD could make great use of and vice versa. Match made in heaven

All I know is I really actually hope the r600 is a big let down. I own both ATI and nvidia cards. While I like my ATI card more, I cant stand all the crap spewed from fanboys mouths in this forum. If ati release sucks it will mean they all will finally have to shut up. I am sure many will try to find some way to spin it, but in the end they will have to admit the truth.

The trainwreck that is ATI right now is sad though. If they dont get their shiet together they will become that small factor in the market and nvidia will become way to dominant and prices may start to suck like back in the day. The past competition has been good for prices and consumers.

OOO yeah not sure if it was in this thread but this months maximum PC admitted there was an error regarding the drop in performance by going sli with 8800's the editor said it was wrong and posted the correct numbers so now that theory is out the window it appears alos.

Broody

So if that happened DAAMIT would become BADAMMIIT? (yes, it took me a second to come up with something... my mind is slow today). If it happens or not, it's still a while off before anyone buys out AMD. So maybe we should focus on talking about the R600 in this thread :D.

The conversation is great, we're just going a bit off course from the topic at hand.

So what ever happened to all the info that was supposed to come in on May 2nd? Have they pushed the "release" back to the 15th again? I'm itching to have the NDA lifted.

EDIT: I missed your post Broody. You kind of contradict yourself, first you say you want the R600 to fail, but then you say if ATI doesn't pull it together things will start to look bad for us consumers. I get what you're saying, but I completely disagree with the part of wanting the R600 to fail. Call me a fanboy (I don't think I'm one), but I really don't think a poor performing card is going to do the market any good. the 8800 Ultra's price is only the start if we don't see some good stuff from DAAMIT.

-ps- Don't avoid the swear filter. The mods don't like it much ;)

Last edited:
ahbroody said:
All I know is I really actually hope the r600 is a big let down. I own both ATI and nvidia cards. While I like my ATI card more, I cant stand all the crap spewed from fanboys mouths in this forum. If ati release sucks it will mean they all will finally have to shut up. I am sure many will try to find some way to spin it, but in the end they will have to admit the truth.Broody

Does anyone else think this doesn't make sense or is it just me and my last functioning brain cell???

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Does anyone else think this doesn't make sense or is it just me and my last functioning brain cell???

Viper

I'll go for the brain cell therory :)

<---- Yup I'm an ATI Fanboy and I proudly admit it. Weather or not the R600 does good or not won't change the fact that Im a Fanboy or not, just might have to switch to nVidia for a short period of time.

Yeah, I know AMD is still a ways away from being bought out. I was just pointing out that modern corporations don't have "going out of business" sales or anything like that, and that a modern corporation would simply be bought out by another modern corporation and possibly even keep the same name. (SNK is probably the best example of that I can think of.)

Ya know I am finding this kinda funny in a way with people doing the "OMG", No Way, Can't Be, How Come,
I though, etc, etc about the R600 card performance. It was no surprise at all.

I have been telling you for months (heck since last year) that ATI was having MAJOR FAB and Speed Bin
issues with the 80nm R600 cores. ATI respun the 80nm part several times and they could no way, no how
get speed bin yields of more than single digit percents that could match, let alone beat a standard clocked
8800GTX. The problem was as the 80nm core parts clock speeds were pushed up they developed internal
current leakage issues that were so bad it made the water going over Niagara Falls look like a damn dripping
faucet.

The decision was made in early January to dump the 80nm process core and shrink the die to 65nm. The
80nm parts already in stock would land on the initial sub XTX cards to use up available stock with the later
65nm parts going on the XTX card then rolling onto the sub XTX cards down the road a bit. Unfortunately
that die shrink was a disaster on the first spin (in would have taken an act of god for ATI, or anybody, to
nail a new 65nm part on the first spin) and that has delayed the XTX (and 65nm sub models) until at least
mid July '07.

That would only be if ATI nails 65nm R600 cores on a respin quickly. If they don't the 65nm R600 cards will
most likely never see the light of day as every time you have to respin you add about 90 days to the release
date. The R600 architecture will simply be to damn old, at least for top end flagship cards, by then. NV
already has their 65nm "next gen" silicon nailed down, ready to FAB in volume (with some initial stock tucked
away now) and is just waiting (actually deliberately delaying) for ATI to give it a reason to release their next
gen models.

The R600 is the R520 all over again only worse and ATI is trying disparately to get something, anything out
of their R600 development efforts. For DAMMIT as a whole they now find themselves far behind the curve on
both the CPU and GPU fronts. That is extremely bad news for a company that is loosing roughly 6-7 million
a day with no end in sight, is already 2 billion+ in debt and is trying to arrange another 2 billion in "VooDoo
Financing" (Dammits words not mine).

DAMMIT will not be going away anytime soon (years) but they will be rotting ripe for a hostile takeover in the
not to distant future. It that does happen you can bet the first thing that will go will be discrete GPU and
graphics card products.

Viper

Last edited:
I always thought it was DAAMIT (ATI+AMD)... DAMMIT would be ATI+MMD?

I try not to question ViperJohn too often on the small things tho, hehe.

rainless said:
Just out of wild curiousity... What's DAMMIT?

It's an acronym that someone spun up for the AMD and ATI after they came together.

It started out as DAAMIT originally and after the C2D's totally hosed the A64's into the ground someone spun
DAAMIT into DAMMIT in a pun (probably a ticked off AMD shareholder that watched his/her stock investment
drop to 1/4 of it's worth from the year before).

Now with the R600 fiasco we will probably get DOUBLE DAMMIT lol.

Viper

Last edited:
I do not know if any of you saw this bippy about the R600 HDMI dongle.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39370

I kinda had to laugh. I bought a DVI to HDMI dongle from Parts Express over a year ago and have used it off
and on to connect the DVI out from ATI and NV cards to my HDTV's HDMI input many times. It's not an ATI
2900 card only thing lol.

Just having a DVI to HDMI dongle does not a high def HDMI out make though.

Viper

Hector Ruiz (AMD's CEO) needs to go. Clearly, they're shopping for a private buyout right now - anything to stop the bleeding. But shareholders will likely want far more than the current share price - they'll demand something closer to the high of a year ago.

VJ, thanks for the info on the R600 issues. Sounds like a crappy time to be an engineer at AMD.

From a Business Daily article on May 2:

Asked later if Ruiz's statement means AMD is seriously looking at going private, AMD spokesman Drew Prairie said, "That's a fair inference."

aaronjb said:
Hector Ruiz (AMD's CEO) needs to go. Clearly, they're shopping for a private buyout right now - anything to stop the bleeding. But shareholders will likely want far more than the current share price - they'll demand something closer to the high of a year ago.

VJ, thanks for the info on the R600 issues. Sounds like a crappy time to be an engineer at AMD.

From a Business Daily article on May 2:

Asked later if Ruiz's statement means AMD is seriously looking at going private, AMD spokesman Drew Prairie said, "That's a fair inference."

I think it is another safe bet to say that Ruiz's head will be rolling in the not to distant future. I would
think AMD's share holders have had enough of him running AMD into the ground.

While some things are out of his control (the R600 engineering flop for one) he is the captain of AMD's
ship. Just like in the Navy if a ship runs to ground it is the captains fault even if god himself (herself for
you gals) reached down, picked the ship up off the ocean and set it back down on dry land.

Viper

deathman20 said:
IBM would gain quiet a bit, mainly the x86 license. Surely IBM might help out but some how doubt they'd buy up AMD.

I thought that AMDs x86 license was non transferable :confused:

ViperJohn said:
Ya know I am finding this kinda funny in a way with people doing the "OMG", No Way, Can't Be, How Come,
I though, etc, etc about the R600 card performance. It was no surprise at all.

I have been telling you for months (heck since last year) that ATI was having MAJOR FAB and Speed Bin
issues with the 80nm R600 cores.

This is just what I was thinking :confused:

It seem's like I've been reading your posts about this card for the last 10 years, or at least before you went blue ;) .

One of the funny bit's some months ago, was that member that was calling you out and there was a bit of a tit for tat.

Last edited:
Back