• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to overclock my CPU, but I don't know If I can! (noob here)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iMusky

Registered
Hey everone,

As you've read the title, I want to overclock my CPU. I don't know what I need to have in order to overclock but that's why I am here, for help! =)
My PC specs are:

AMD Phenom II X6 1035T 2.60 GHz [64 bit if that even matters]
4GB Ram (Want to upgrade to 8GB too)
Nvidia GTX 650 Ti
550Watt Power supply [Xfx]

I hope someone will help me with this, and already thanks!

Musky~ :salute:

Welcome to OCF iMusky,
It's possible to OC that CPU but is your motherboard capable? That's something we'd like to know the model of as well as your CPU cooler. That CPU isn't a black edition so your multiplier is locked, all oc will be done with the reference clock. Have a read through this guide it''l help you understand the process. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Reply #1

Hey, thanks for replying,

I've read the whole guide and I learned a few things. But not really much since it's a bit complicated if you ask me. I couldn't find the CPU Cooler name, but maybe its shown in this pic. [big nub here]:

http://gyazo.com/f167770e00e921b5a10ae54c96610ba8

Again, thanks!

Musky~

Nope that doesn't show the CPU cooler just the CPU name and speed. When attaching images to the site can you put them up directly please.
Like this

advance.JPG

Cappic.JPG

Cappic2.JPG

Ok before we start can you post up pics of CPU-z main tab memory tab SPD tab and motherbard this will help us see what's going on. Then can you download Prime95 and HWMonitor free. Run P95 for about 20 minutes with HWMonitor open then take a SS so we can see how hot things get.

Reply #2

Hey, I downloaded the 2 programs P95 and HWMonitor but don't know how to use it. I did make pictures where u asked for. Can you tell me how I can do the test? thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    35 KB · Views: 92
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 101
Install HWmonitor, and run the program. Should be a icon on your desktop.

For Prime95, extract it to your desktop, then double click on prime95.exe.
Then select "Just stress testing" then make sure "blend" is selected then hit "ok"

Then wait 20 minutes and get us a screen shot of hwmonitor :)

Just open HWMonitor and let it do it's job. Then open P95 an selct just testing then blend torture test.
I have to warn you that we may not be able to do uch because of your motherboard. It looks like it's made specificlly for your Acer computer and they usuall don't have any options in the BIOS which will allow you to overclock.

Just open HWMonitor and let it do it's job. Then open P95 an selct just testing then blend torture test.
I have to warn you that we may not be able to do uch because of your motherboard. It looks like it's made specificlly for your Acer computer and they usuall don't have any options in the BIOS which will allow you to overclock.

Could always try a BIOS mod. No guarantees ;)
I've got the tools somewhere on my drives.

Modding bios is bit out of my league silver, I wouldn't want to mess it up. Video cards yes but mobos??

I note that this computer has and Acer motherboard. Sounds like a mass produced computer rather than a custom build. The bios may not have any overclocking tools.

iMusky, did you build this computer? I cannot find any real info on the motherboard but it sounds like it probably came out of an OEM mass produced computer like you would buy at a department store.

Hey everyone, I did the tests with those 2 programs. I did buy the pc at a store, but I changed the GPU and powersupply. I hope this helped.

Attachments

• HWMonitor.png
    HWMonitor.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 103
Well right now you really don't hve much room to overclock. The cores are already in the low 50s and typically 55c you start to get some instability with the PhenomII. Check your bios and see if you have any voltage control or the ability to change any bus speeds. If not then getting a better cooler would be a waste of time and $$

Hey,

I don't have that. Too bad I can't OC :p. But thanks for your time and help! Is Overclocking my GPU a good way to get more FPS on games btw? and is this possible to do with my specs and everything? I know that this thread is for CPU's. If you dont want to discuss it here, I will make a new thread. Thanks everybody again!

iMusky, store bought mass produced computers don't have the controls in bios to allow overclocking. The companies that produce them don't want you doing that.

Hey,

I don't have that. Too bad I can't OC :p. But thanks for your time and help! Is Overclocking my GPU a good way to get more FPS on games btw? and is this possible to do with my specs and everything? I know that this thread is for CPU's. If you dont want to discuss it here, I will make a new thread. Thanks everybody again!

I'm sure you could manage to get a few more FPS by overclocking the GPU. Same rules apply but it has a higher thermal of 85c. Try software like MSI Afterburner. Raise the core speed and check it with heaven benchmark. Then do it agin keep an eye on temps. Raise voltage if necessary andtry again. Once you have a max core you can OC the GPU memory the same way raise the speed and test. Then put the two together and test .

I don't know what your budget will allow for but have you considered building your own system so that you could overclock the CPU?

But Johan45's suggestion about focusing on the OC of the GPU is a good one for the time being.

I don't know what your budget will allow for but have you considered building your own system so that you could overclock the CPU?

But Johan45's suggestion about focusing on the OC of the GPU is a good one for the time being.

It's the only option.

I downloaded his BIOS, and there's no OC options period. Not even any hidden ones.

Oddly enough, they hid the PWM functions :screwy:
But the 650ti is a strong card so OC'ing would help :thup:

Back