• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I will never buy an ASUS board again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ross said:
That sucks. 1) how can you tell the board is used and 2) what is making you think the MCH was bad in the first place and now on this board too?

It was used because the metal was bent on the mouse port area (you know what i'm talking about) and also there are scratches on the CPU socket cover..

The memory controller problem still exists..I just tried OC my system with various settings and I still get the same problem like before .

Check this thread: (maybe it is not my Memory controller? but I've tried EVERYTHING)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=404195

*nods @ Ross*

CordialSpam said:
but I was wrong.I still has the same problem with memory controller...

[...]

I'll pass on overclocking for this generation of CPU..I will wait for newer dual cores.
Well hang on, now, we can see ur frustrated here, and it has been a hassle, but Ross makes a very good point. What exactly is the problem???

Maybe you need to tryin' step back, a bit, and see if you can work your way thru whatever the issue is, that ur having. I'm sure someone would be willing to help.

Maybe it's time to start a new thread, addressing the particular issue ur having. It might be easily solvable.

JMHO,

Strat

<EDIT>

Whoops...#1

Looks like you responded to Ross' post before I could get mine out!

Whoops...#2

I erroniously thought you had a P5WD2, so I edited out several sentences from my OP.

Last edited:
K,

I glanced thru ur thread you linked w/the original posting of ur prob.

I'm not familiar w/ur board, but:

Have you tried cranking up the NB (MCH) voltage.

Have you cranked up some x-tra Vdimm Voltage.

Lastly, have you looked recently, if there's a newer BIOS available?

Best I could do, not knowing ur board.

GL

Strat

i vote sticky so people can see how much asus sucks and we will all boycott their motherboards
Their boards don't suck (at least Intel), their customer service does...AND I don' think this is even a problem with the board perse.

@ Strat: CRAP! I typed a whole post, previewed, saw your post. I thought it was a P5WD2 also...haha. Thanks for pointing it out!

@ Cordial: I did many mem tests on my board (you'll see my SPi @ #4 right in between all those AMD FXs :)) I will say that some dividers just SUCK on it. 2:3 ratio in particular was horrible. At some points (closer to max OCs), it would not even boot with 2:3 divider, but would with 1:2 (and even faster mem speed), so I know it was just the divider causing problems.

The first thing I would do is eliminate the mem as the issue and run 1:1 to see what you can OC too. Like I said, I don't know much on the 945 chipset and it just may not be as good for OCing as the 955.

1) You say you had problems around 250FSB. 4GHz is no guarantee on a 640 on air even though most will do it...that could be the hold up. What kind of CPU temps are you seeing?

2) If you are trying to OC at 14x using EIST, I would say don't...at least to start. Whatever is done to lock the proc @ 14x does not seem to always work well in terms of OCing...you might end up with higher FSB, but it will probably max at a lower final clock.

I had a 630 for about a week...it OCed much better and higher FSB at the default 15x than it did on 14x using EIST. Granted, the default multi was closer to 14x than yours, but If you're going for max clock, I would see what it reaches with the 16x for clock speed first and then you'll know about where you limit is clock-wise on the CPU. Then play with 14x and see what you can get, but I'll bet anything you won't be able to boot anywhere near as high a clock as on the default multi.

3) As kick arse as my Mushkin is, it did not work for crap in my old P5AD2-E (I still had it when I bought the mem). I even contacted Mushkin the same day because they wouldn't even run the spec speed in it. I mean it wouldn't do DDR700 in that board with the voltage cranked. I still don't know if it was the chipset (925XE) or what, but it definitely wasn't happy in that board. So it may very well be that the chipset and that mem don't get along to well. If I hadn't experienced it myself, I'd say it was impossible, but I guess mobo manufacturers test mem modules for a reason. So, don't rule out the mem itself as a possible problem in that board. I might try pulling one of the sticks and see if that helps at all.

4) As Strat pointed out, the MCH and DDR voltages will help with higher FSB and mem freq/tighter timings ;)

Like I said, I'd leave the mem @ 1:1 and work on the CPU OC first and see where that becomes an issue. The proc/temps could be the hold up, maybe the 945 chipset just isn't as amenable to higher OCs as the 955 or maybe that particular mem just isn't happy with that chipset. What kind of OCs are others with 945s getting?

Stratcat said:
K,

I glanced thru ur thread you linked w/the original posting of ur prob.

I'm not familiar w/ur board, but:

Have you tried cranking up the NB (MCH) voltage.

Have you cranked up some x-tra Vdimm Voltage.

Lastly, have you looked recently, if there's a newer BIOS available?

Best I could do, not knowing ur board.

GL

Strat

I've done all that before I send out this motherboard..played around with it for about a month or two..still does not work.

@Ross..at 1:1 my CPU can do 4ghz FINE but not stable. With ram at DDR500 (not even close to rated 667) it gives me memetest errors..I played around with all the voltages/timings..same problem. I believe the problem is NOT my processor. The memory would do 700+ ONLY with the DDR667 Divider (forgot what ratio was it since I'm new to DDR2) so yea..I am STILL having same problem and still could not figure it out. My only guess now is my 640..but I really have no idea how is that memory speed with different dividers are related to CPU...

It may just that the chipset and DDR aren't getting along like what happened to me on the Mushkin/925XE, but I don't know enough about the 945 to say that's likely or not and I am really the only person I know who ever even had an issue like that.

200FSB & DDR667 = 3:5 ratio. FSB * ratio * 2 = DDR speed. (200FSB *5/3) = 333 * 2 (for dual channel) = DDR667. That's how the mem speed is determined compared to FSB. On a side note, the mem dividers change @ 266FSB and you'll end up having to use a different divider for the same mem speed as before.

If 4GHz is max, but unstable, when stressing things more by upping the memory, it will be much worse and a noticeably lower clock will be needed. It doesn't surprise me that you're limited to 3.8 in that case. Have you tried leaving the FSB @ 200 and tried the DDR800 ratio?

I was digging through your other thread and looked at your screens...disable HyperPath3. AUTO is not usually a problem on it, but I know past a certain FSB, if I enabled it, it won't boot where it's fine on AUTO or Disabled. More important: set the PCI Clock Synchro Mode to 33.3MHz. Leave PCI Express Freq on AUTO and Performance Mode on AUTO or Standard.

What's the max voltage on the MCH...1.65V? If you haven't tried maxing both the MCH and DDR voltages out and giving it a shot...I don't think either will really be a problem...I've run a LOT more than stock through mine ;)

Do you know which 12V rail that 6600 card get it's power from (V1 or V2)? Is there also an "EZ Plug" on that mobo and are you using it? What other hardward you're running with it? That PSU only has 15A on each 12V rail, so I am wondering if maybe between the vid card (OCed?) and OCed CPU/mem, things might be needing a little more than the rail(s) can provide. How quickly does memtest fail?

I love this thread,,An overclocking problem blamed on the mother board = ASUS bad company..I am sorry but that is just wrong . . . . . . . .

diehrd said:
I love this thread,,An overclocking problem blamed on the mother board = ASUS bad company..I am sorry but that is just wrong . . . . . . . .

I'm sorry but if you don't have anything userful or helpful to post just don't bother to post. I did not blame ASUS because the OC problem it is because they charged me $40 for fixing a DAMN PIN THAT IS NOT broke by me. Please read up the thread next time before posting or pay more attetion.

@Ross thanks for your helpful post, I've tried disabling hyperpath3 in the past and I still had the same problem, same with the MCH voltages I've raised those to MAX ( I believe it was 1.65) same thing with vdimm to 2.3v

By leaving FSB at 200 and with the ddr800 ratio system would not boot. In facts that any ratio other than 3:5 (ddr667) will not boot over the rated ddr667 speed on my ram. The only way to OC the mem to ddr800 is by rasing the FSB to 220 or so (Forgot what was exact)

More important: set the PCI Clock Synchro Mode to 33.3MHz. Leave PCI Express Freq on AUTO and Performance Mode on AUTO or Standard.

PCI clock is always at 33.3 and PCI Express is at 100, Performance mode on AUTO. I will try PCI Express Freq with AUTO when I get home tonight but I doubt it would help anything.

Do you know which 12V rail that 6600 card get it's power from (V1 or V2)? Is there also an "EZ Plug" on that mobo and are you using it? What other hardward you're running with it? That PSU only has 15A on each 12V rail, so I am wondering if maybe between the vid card (OCed?) and OCed CPU/mem, things might be needing a little more than the rail(s) can provide. How quickly does memtest fail?

I really have no idea which 12v rail my 6600gt is running from because it does not have a motex plug it is just using the power off the pci-e slot. Everything hardware you see on my sig are the stuffs I'm running with. The video card was set at stock all the time and I've never tried to OC it because I don't need it. Usually if I try 1:1 divider 250 x 16 (ddr500) memtest would fail in like less than an hr. Tried with different settings like 235 x 16 with a bunch of different dividers and it would fail in about in hr or less. Btw what is that "EZ Plug" you're refering to? If it is the plug that looks like that 4 pin motex then I believe I don't have one. Only the Deluxe versoin of P5LD2 has it. Is this the EZ Plug you're talking about?

atx_ez.jpg

CordialSpam said:
It was used because the metal was bent on the mouse port area (you know what i'm talking about) and also there are scratches on the CPU socket cover..

The memory controller problem still exists..I just tried OC my system with various settings and I still get the same problem like before .

Check this thread: (maybe it is not my Memory controller? but I've tried EVERYTHING)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=404195

I not only have read this thread but can see the board runs fine at stock and you are mad it wont O/C the way you want it to. So mad in fact you sent it back AND I AM SURE your claim for the RMA was not that a 3.2 gig chip dont run at 4 gigs was it ? Because we all know ASUS or any board maker would just laugh at that RMA,

SO they get a board claimed to be bad and discover a bent pin,,SEAMS logicle to me they would blame you UNLESS your RMA claim was it wont run a 3.2 chip at 4.0 .. And betting you never said that of course you get blamed for the pin even if they bent it..How shocking is that ? ? ?

And yet still rather then accept that the board is a bork clocker you still rant.

SO lets get it out in the open before you tell people to read this thread before they post because any one who followed it as I have would clearly see the facts . . . . . :welcome:

diehrd said:
I not only have read this thread but can see the board runs fine at stock and you are mad it wont O/C the way you want it to. So mad in fact you sent it back AND I AM SURE your claim for the RMA was not that a 3.2 gig chip dont run at 4 gigs was it ? Because we all know ASUS or any board maker would just laugh at that RMA,

You didn't really get my point here..my point is that I did not blame ASUS or think ASUS makes bad mobos because they don't oc well, every mobo company out there would have same problem..no one is perfect. The reason this is my last ASUS board (sadly it is also my first) because of their tech support. I think charging $40 on one bent pin and still under warranty is just wrong, you might not think that way but that is what I think, and I think some people would agree with me. So you are saying I send this mobo back because it won't oc? Isn't this the point of overclocking? I bet most people here have send back lots of mobos or swapped them because they don't oc well.

CordialSpam said:
You didn't really get my point here..my point is that I did not blame ASUS or think ASUS makes bad mobos because they don't oc well, every mobo company out there would have same problem..no one is perfect. The reason this is my last ASUS board (sadly it is also my first) because of their tech support. I think charging $40 on one bent pin and still under warranty is just wrong, you might not think that way but that is what I think, and I think some people would agree with me. So you are saying I send this mobo back because it won't oc? Isn't this the point of overclocking? I bet most people here have send back lots of mobos or swapped them because they don't oc well.

I am saying even if they bent the pin you are trying to slip under the radar,,And when you gamble like that and get a curve ball tossed at ya I say dont wine, suck it up and move on without all this nonsense about ASUS..

Asus held up there end of there user agreemen..In this case the end user did not and you got bit for another 40.00 and ended up right back at the starting point..Let that be a lesson to us all if nothing else..

dude.. you dont understand. he got charged $40 for something he didnt do. im not talking about the performance of the motherboard at all. i am talking about the shotty service in the RMA department. it is just my opinion and i will not buy a asus motherboard now. not only that, but they send him someone elses used crap instead of a new motherboard (he did pay $40 for it you know)

so dont get all bent out of shape when we are talking about it

Cordial: yeah, that pic is the EZ Plug. It provides extra power for the board when running a power-hungry setup. What's the highest that mem OCed to on your last board? Even my old Corsair 5400 (non-UL) would die out around DDR795 @ 4-4-4-12 with just BIOS max voltage on the P5AD2-E...maybe you are just expecting too much from it?

I think you're dealing with 2 separate issues here: 1) the OC of the CPU and 2) the dividers not really getting along with the mem and/or the mem not getting along well with the MCH.

If I am reading correctly, it fails in about an hour at low mem speed, but 4GHz on the proc AND OCed mem, but lower clocks on the CPU. Have you tried something more moderate on both, like 220FSB x16 + 3:4 divider (3.5GHz/DDR586)?

I think the stuff you have (CPU, mem, chipset) is just not quite up to snuff for strong OCs that are stable for endless amounts of time. The CPU can hang for a while with a good OC. The mem can hang for a while OCed with the CPU on a lower clock, but both OCed just doesn't work well at all. As for the chipset, I don't know, but I do know it's not a 955 ;) I think you may be just looking at a "sum of all parts" problem :(

I still haven't seen you list any temps on the proc for that OC since you are on air?

What's the highest that mem OCed to on your last board?

around DDR750 ONLY with the 3:5 divider.

maybe you are just expecting too much from it?

Well I am not expecting much, I just want 250x16 with memory at 667 but it will not boot with mem over 500...see the fact is that the memory WILL NOT boot PASS DDR500 with ANY dividers cept the 3:5 divider. This is what is bugging me.

Have you tried something more moderate on both, like 220FSB x16 + 3:4 divider (3.5GHz/DDR586)?

Yes...like I said the memory will not boot over ddr500 with any dividers but 3:5 no matter what's the processor speed.

I still haven't seen you list any temps on the proc for that OC since you are on air?

I get around 50C Load oced with 1.45vcore.

Yes...like I said the memory will not boot over ddr500 with any dividers but 3:5 no matter what's the processor speed.
...or 1:1 :) 1:1 @ 250FSB = DDR500. 3:5 @ 200FSB = DDR667. I think you are going to have to settle for one or the other and even though your load temps aren't that bad, the 4GHz just may not be possible for complete stability loaded for a long time one way or the other.

The divider thing could just be the memory or the chipset or the BIOS. Have you checked for the latest BIOS and chipset drivers? Not all mem/chipsets respond well to dividers and there is much talk of it around. Some people stick solely to 1:1 and in some cases, that even produces better results in benches than faster ratios.

Now I am going to bombard you with a bunch of questions :)

If you run memtest with default FSB and 3:5 (DDR667), how long does it run without errors? Are you folding with this machine...ie. would mem errors after an hour of load really make a difference? Have you tried other mem progs (some produce errors while other don't at the same settings)? Have you run this mem in another board and if so, how well did it do by comparison? What about the proc? Have you pulled one stick to run single channel and see if that makes a difference?

you know, this is the 2nd issue ive seen w/ asus here on the fourms, the first being sen's problem.

Does anyone have there support email. I think its time i send em a email ;)

CordialSpam said:
I recently sent back ASUS my motherboard for repair because the memory controller did not work right. But after they received the motherboard they said the motherboard arrived with broken CPU pin...when I packed the motherboard I'm sure there is no broken pin.. and..they are charging me $40 TO FIX THE PIN...I am going to call them tomorrow about this if they refuse to fix it without any charge, I will never buy an ASUS again. ..I mean..they are whining about a broken CPU pin that takes 5 sec to fix? I mean give me a break..I thought ASUS is good in RMA service.....

RMA# EK594318
P5LD2-UAYZ R1.01
90-MBL1A5-G0UAYZ
55MM861545

We have received this rma unit with damaged CPU socket pins. There is a $40 repair/replacement of the CPU socket. We will need a response regarding the payment (by Mondy, October 11, 2005) before it will be rejected without any further notice.

They also took few pictures.

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/5038/dscf00017nh.jpg

I think you have an interesting case. I looked at the picture and it looks like those are bumps (like a flipchip), not pins. If those are indeed soldered bumps, I think it is strange that the bump near the middle broken off, considering the contact presure (bumps on mobo touching the pads on that CPU) should be even.
I think before you can come to a reliable conclusion, you should also inspect the pads on your CPU to see if there are uneven pad hights. Any uneven pads will cause unnecessary presure on the bumps. Oh yeah you can also try to look for uneven bumps.

it looks like intel is going for the cheaper way of doing things. Not saying flipchips is a bad idea, but usally, the bumps should be on the CPU and the pads should be on the mobo. Intel's packing process made it cheaper for them to produce (less complex) and more pricy for mobos(more complex). If you check out Intel's integrated CPUs, i think the bumps are all on the CPU. Either way, flipchips are usually permanent. Flipchip packing is nothing new to Asus and intel.

Lastly, I have worked/hands-on with flipchip, studbump Packing (assembly) and I can tell you that those gold pads on your intel are make with screenprinting process (the mesh size is in microns).
THe bumps on that Asus mobo is hard to tell, the picture is blurry. But it's soldered with little balls or used heat to bond bumps on to the substright with wire, or another technique developed to accommodate for the average user (swaping parts etc). It was pretty rare if a bump fall off but not rare for it to fall if the pad (not the CPU in this case) has issues like bad screen, bad batch of liquid metal, heck it could be numorous things. can you see why it's cheaper for intel?

SO, if i were to take a wild hypothetical guess, I would say the chances that mobo was defective is greater than you breaking the bump off.

I think since you like building your system and OC, may be you can enjoy some investigating too.
And only if the average person know how much heat/temperature involved with these CPU, RAM, GPU, etc packings hehe. thats another thread.

Ok i have looked at the 775 mech data sheet and those are indeed socket pins. Also, the socket designe, presure and heatsink spec. is a pain in the butt for users and I'm not sure most people knew what they were getting into before the purchase. I don't doubt some people were just negligent when installing the CPU and i'm not implying this person was negligent. Nevertheless, I still think socket defective rate is higher.

sorry to hear about your bad timing with asus support, but been using asus boards since 1996 and sorry to tell you, they always have been good to me :) brackets, heatsinks, backplates, they always send it to me no problem.

Back